Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Epidemic of Suicides in Waterford area

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭WonderWoman!

Don't understand your question

wasnt a question really I just wish I could help out more because believe me People really do need the help

I'm already a volunteer though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭mozattack

I saw Secret Millionaire last night and it was very good.

One of my best friend's younger sister took her life around ten years ago when she was 19. She did it after her boyfield had done the same thing. It was/is terrible. Also a former school classmate did the same around 5 yrs ago.

But what can be done even with help?

A lot of the current issues will be financial based and it is of little comfort to say to somebody that 'things will be okay, the bank will sell your house and it is okay that you will have to rent for the rest of your life while the bank hound you for the balance and you cant feed your kids or even consider having a second child'

The outlook can be very bleak and I dont see how anyone can help in such circumstances because looking into the future renting a house with little money, no pension and no worth isn't to everyone's liking. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭parrai

Nypd wrote: »
    It's a sad upward thrend,
    They say it takes someone incredibly brave or incredibly selfish to end their own lives.
    I can't imagine what is running through their minds.

Absolutely, and no one else can either. I don't think it is fair to judge... Some people are strong enough to take what life throws at them, some are not...but rest assured, there is always light at the end of the tunnel... Just because today is black doesn't mean tomorrow will not be brighter...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭merlante

You can be damn sure that the "suicide is the most selfish thing you can do" brigade wouldn't be long getting sick of listening to and supporting the person if they chose to live. They don't kill themselves because of one thing, it's usually (I am guessing) continuous stress or depression, day in day out, an undermining on their self-worth and the inability to change the situation or to see any kind of hope in the future. If we're being honest, nobody has more than a half an hour to give someone who is that down and wants to talk about their problems, let along 24 hours per day, 7 days per week. And even after that half an hour, you'd avoid them for months if you could. It's human nature.

So before you write off so an so as being selfish, think of how long you'd be willing to carry their burden for them, if you could. Not for very long I'd say. It's the person who has to put up with a miserable life the whole time who is the only person who has a right to say whether they live or die. They can't live for their loved ones' sake indefinitely -- at least the ones that do can't -- and we shouldn't be so quick to judge. They're the one group of people you can't interview about the whys and the wherefores but there is no shortage of would-be experts who think they know all about it, or what they would do in the situation. At least you can say one thing about suicides, they don't just waffle on about suicide, they act.

I'm sorry if that sounds rough, but it's risible listening to people go on an on without a clue.

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭chelloveks

Suicide is a very complicated matter. There are many different reasons why people decide it is better to no longer exist than suffer the agony they endure in life every day. The reason for the suicide is moot....bad health, poverty, loss of stature in the community, drug use, there are an unlimited number of reasons fellow human beings decide it is better to be dead, but the one thing I have to believe is that anyone who does it has lost all hope that things will get better. If you lose that hope you can very easily slide down that slippery slope to the end of a rope.

Suicide prevention is a cure for some and the poster who is already a volunteer has probably save a life or two or even twenty. I commend her and wish I could say I had been as good a person as she has been in giving these folks some hope back. Good for you and keep it up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭1971

There has been sucide going on at a approx rate of 400/380 per year for the last 10/15 years, the goverment of this country ignored these facts.Suicide in the late 80 was rampant with some ever saturday night going in to river, it is not something that can blamed entirely on the current climate.It is something that people in ever country do.
    A solution can be found speacally in men by talking, to be able to talk to some one halves the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭chelloveks

You are right 1971. Here in the USA there are any number of suicide prevention hotline phone numbers that even advertise on late night tv. Apparently being able to talk through the difficulties can ease the burden and having someone show understanding and compassion for the person feeling suicidal can often stop the act.

I never really thought of it but I have known 4 people in my lifetime that were definitely suicides and a 5th that was ruled accidental and each of these had widely differing sets of circumstances that led up to that persons final day on earth. One was when I was about 15 and a kid I knew took a shotgun and ended his life while wasted on acid. Another was a well respected successful businessman i had worked with peripherally who was laid off from his job and came home from church one Sunday morning and went upstairs and shot himself, another was a junkie we knew who asked all of his acquaintances for bailmoney to get out of jail and when none of us had it he hanged himself, another killed his wife and himself in a murder suicide and the last one was my buddy's dad who was found floating in the East River in NYC down by battery park. He was an alcoholic but a functioning one who owned a successful bar in NY.

My point is that one cannot speculate what goes through a persons mind to do it but all I can say is that when you have no hope I think that is what makes the act a reality. Again, my hats off to the poster who is a volunteer to help these folks have hope.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭previous user

seanybiker wrote: »
    3 of my mates done it within the last year :'(

Sorry to hear about that, condolences.

Advertisement