Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Powerwashers

• 19-09-2011 12:20pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭

Hi

Anyone have or ever use one of these? They're a 5.5hp petrol machine. Don't ask me spec L/m etc. There are a few coming up for sale in local hardware for €300incl VAT. Just read it on a flyer thrown in the door this morning. I assume they just pull directly off the tap. Seems good value, but could be money down the drain.

Has anyone any views on a powerwasher this size? Would they be good enough to clean down machinery etc for example? I'm thinking I could hire a bigger diesel machine then once a year to powerhose sheds etc?

Talking of bigger machines, I see in the Journal that Triace have a pto version that has high psi and sucks from a barrel from €800incl. VAT. They're an Irish company so a lad would have the benefit of being able to get them serviced or gets parts down the road.

What do you use or recommend? Electric, petrol, diesel, pto.... and that's just the cold machines! You've hot versions also. It's a minefield out there with all the makes, options out there! What do you use and are they a 'winner'?

A very confused :confused: Muckit

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Poly

That sounds like a cheap chinese machine,trouble IMO. If something goes wrong you won't find parts.

For washing machinery you will need at least a 9 or 13 HP, ideally Honda, look for the brand of pump: Inter, General, Cat are good makes, avoid direct drive pumps, go for a gear or belt driven pump.
    They will be more expensive, but like most things, you get what you pay for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Atilathehun

Muckit wrote: »
    Hi

Anyone have or ever use one of these? They're a 5.5hp petrol machine. Don't ask me spec L/m etc. There are a few coming up for sale in local hardware for €300incl VAT. Just read it on a flyer thrown in the door this morning. I assume they just pull directly off the tap. Seems good value, but could be money down the drain.

Has anyone any views on a powerwasher this size? Would they be good enough to clean down machinery etc for example? I'm thinking I could hire a bigger diesel machine then once a year to powerhose sheds etc?

Talking of bigger machines, I see in the Journal that Triace have a pto version that has high psi and sucks from a barrel from €800incl. VAT. They're an Irish company so a lad would have the benefit of being able to get them serviced or gets parts down the road.

What do you use or recommend? Electric, petrol, diesel, pto.... and that's just the cold machines! You've hot versions also. It's a minefield out there with all the makes, options out there! What do you use and are they a 'winner'?

I had a hot pressure washer, for a lot of years which I bought at a liqidation sale, of a company in Limerick. It was a Gerni make. Absolutely brilliant at all jobs. Sheer force with cold washer, will shift stuff, but there are plenty of places where plaster / concrete is old and past its best days, strength wise. Using very high pressure water jet to clean down, does these conditions no good whatsoever.
    With the hot (steam) washer, you get better cleaning with a third or less pressure.
    Same thing applies with machinery. High pressure cold, = paint blown off:(
    Low medium pressure steam, = job done with no collateral damage.

Sadly my Gerni died, a few years ago, and couldn't be repaired due to parts availability problems.
    Been using a cold pressure job (borrowed), since and I find it a pain compared to the hot one I used to have.

Definitely going to splash out next year, and get myself a new hot wash machine. Need to spend best part of €2k though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭vanderbadger

Muckit wrote: »
    Hi

after trying all sorts over the years including the uncles hot washer i bought a pto washer with a turbo lance..in my experience it leaves the others in the shade for cleaning slats etc anyway, the turbo lance is brillant, on an old shed with block walls which were plastered it was actually knocking bits off the wall..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭Tora Bora

Hot washers are the way to go, but they are expensive. Great at cleaning sheds, from disease point of view as well as shifting the visible muck.
    A good hot washer, heats the water right up to 150 degrees celcius (steam). Kills all kinds of bugs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 828 ✭✭✭TUBBY

Tora Bora wrote: »
    Hot washers are the way to go, but they are expensive. Great at cleaning sheds, from disease point of view as well as shifting the visible muck.
    A good hot washer, heats the water right up to 150 degrees celcius (steam). Kills all kinds of bugs.

HI Tora
    How much wud you be talking for a decent hot washer. Any recommendations.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭lakill Farm

I bought a Karcher 550 hot wash for 920e brand new last year. Used it for washing jeep and tractor, powerwashing the sheds before painting and also the slats and calf sheds and ifor cattle trailer. Its single phase, and a sanad entry level machine, but well worth it. It isnt even hard on kero (used to heat the water)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 609 ✭✭✭flatout11

tbh we have burned out 2 5.5 hp petrol engine ones, the electric ones arent big enough for yard work im trying to get my hands on a pto one (make some use of the 135 again) with a gearbox and a clutch that knocks it out when not pumping i have been told it adds a few years to them, the heated ones are some job but they cost a pretty penny.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

I bought a Karcher 550 hot wash for 920e brand new last year. Used it for washing jeep and tractor, powerwashing the sheds before painting and also the slats and calf sheds and ifor cattle trailer. Its single phase, and a sanad entry level machine, but well worth it. It isnt even hard on kero (used to heat the water)

Is it a good job Iakill F? DO you mind me asking who you purchased off? I think hot one is the way to go, but that seems a great price for a recognised name!

Ah yes i find it handy to be honest Muckit. It does all the jobs i need it for. I hav blue barrell cut in half ad added a stop cock inside in it for water.

but reall depends what you want it for. if itsa all cement yards and slats buy a pto version an add the spinnie head. OMG it would break cement .

But on the Kacher, very happy and couldnt recommend enough. Bought off a co n Enniskillen. there 2,500 down here and £799up there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 950 ✭✭✭Dupont

Ah yes i find it handy to be honest Muckit. It does all the jobs i need it for. I hav blue barrell cut in half ad added a stop cock inside in it for water.

but reall depends what you want it for. if itsa all cement yards and slats buy a pto version an add the spinnie head. OMG it would break cement .

But on the Kacher, very happy and couldnt recommend enough. Bought off a co n Enniskillen. there 2,500 down here and £799up there

was it cathcart on the tempo road?there a builders providers. bought an electric one there a few years ago and still going strong

• Advertisement

ye thats them.thanks dupont. Herself went up and said the lads in the shop were fantastic and so helpful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 950 ✭✭✭Dupont

yeah there honest people.will size the one you need for your job,also kacher guy is in once a week so handy to get any parts etc.

Advertisement