Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sticky situation - serious advice needed

• 19-09-2011 12:28pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,647 ✭✭✭✭

Hi

I am wondering how to approach a situation at my place of work....? At the front of our building, we have some disabled car parking spaces - one of which I use.

However.....one of the security guards(who is not employed by the company I work for), parks his car in one of the other spots so he can "keep an eye on his car" when he's here. It is a sticky situation because, I am quite friendly with the guy in question.

Should I approach this guy directly, or should I go to the Manager of my place of work and raise the issue with him??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,346 ✭✭✭Rev Hellfire

I would suggest approaching the guy directly before bringing management into it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,647 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

I would suggest approaching the guy directly before bringing management into it.

I've been tempted to, but i don't want to cause an argument.......? As I said in my OP, he said that he parks it there to keep an eye on it, and to prevent it from being scratched by other cars(if it were parked in another part of the carpark)?

Well I'd imagine he'd be more upset if the topic came from the management.
    A lot of people don't see an issue if there are other free bay available, but you can only try to educate people.

Well I'd imagine he'd be more upset if the topic came from the management.
    A lot of people don't see an issue if there are other free bay available, but you can only try to educate people.

As I said previously, I did say it to him before(with no success obviously), but he still parks there........? This is why I am considering bringing it further.

There was another incident a couple of months ago with the same guy when another wheelchair user came to visit my place of work.

The visitor was getting out of his car into his chair, and unbeknownst to him, "supposedly" caused a scratch on this guys car.

There then ensued an argument where the security guard rang this guy and demanded that he pays for the repair work on the car!!!!

The other guy then says that the security guard told him that he has the incident on camera. But then, the guy in question says that he then has proof that the security guard is parked illegally in a disabled parking bay.

What i was thinking of suggesting to the management of where i work was, maybe printing up a sticker/sheet just advising people that they are parked in a disabled parking bay............?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 393 ✭✭skippy2

no need to involve management........ as other poster said just print up some paper notices and discreetly put them under the wiper and keep doing it until the message gets across. Parking in disabled spaces is simply wrong for any reason if you dont need them and if its because you want to keep an eye on your car is a pretty pathetic excuse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,644 ✭✭✭SerialComplaint

The printing of a sticker will probably be a waste of time. It will just go over his head, as he's convinced that the rules don't apply to him. If you've already had a quiet word with him, and he has ignored you, then you really have to take the issue to management.

The incident with the other wheelchair user is proof that he really shouldn't be parking there. As you know, wheelchair generally need more space around them to open doors fully when lifting chairs in or out.

I'd be worried about the suggestion that he is using the CCTV to solve his own personal civil dispute. He needs to learn some boundaries.

Have a word with management and get them to tell him that he can't park in the wheelchair spaces.

no need to involve management........ as other poster said just print up some paper notices and discreetly put them under the wiper and keep doing it until the message gets across. Parking in disabled spaces is simply wrong for any reason if you dont need them and if its because you want to keep an eye on your car is a pretty pathetic excuse.

The printing of a sticker will probably be a waste of time. It will just go over his head, as he's convinced that the rules don't apply to him. If you've already had a quiet word with him, and he has ignored you, then you really have to take the issue to management.

The incident with the other wheelchair user is proof that he really shouldn't be parking there. As you know, wheelchair generally need more space around them to open doors fully when lifting chairs in or out.

I'd be worried about the suggestion that he is using the CCTV to solve his own personal civil dispute. He needs to learn some boundaries.

Have a word with management and get them to tell him that he can't park in the wheelchair spaces./quote

One suggestion is saying DON'T involve management, whereas another poster is saying DO involve management!!??

Decisions decisions.:confused:

Are there specific rules/regulations for accessible bays in car parks located in a business??

I want to do my homework on this before I do anything, and I also want to "C.M.A" - Cover My A**.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 234 ✭✭Eph1958

Are there specific rules/regulations for accessible bays in car parks located in a business??

I want to do my homework on this before I do anything, and I also want to "C.M.A" - Cover My A**.
    I reckon the guard parking in the disabled space is annoying almost everyone else too. From my experience most people accept disabled bays are for those who need them and it annoys the hell out of them when used illegally.However most abled people will rarely see it as their duty to address the matter and don't want to become involved. The guard knows what he is doing is wrong and is attempting to legitimise it by giving you this pathetic excuse of being afraid his car will get scratched (aren't we all?).If anyone else said it to him I suspect he would try and use you as an alibi. I reckon management know about this issue and can't be bothered dealing with it, so bring it to their attention to be deal with in a general way and not referring to the specific person involved, and by making it known to the contracting company employing the security guard, what the policy is on use of disabled bays.
    IMO, the enforcement of the rules on parking bays is the responsibility of the management on whose premises the bays are. All too often they fail in this respect, and I believe we should bring it to their attention, and not do their job for them.

Eph.

• Advertisement

Eph1958 wrote: »
    I reckon the guard parking in the disabled space is annoying almost everyone else too. From my experience most people accept disabled bays are for those who need them and it annoys the hell out of them when used illegally.However most abled people will rarely see it as their duty to address the matter and don't want to become involved. The guard knows what he is doing is wrong and is attempting to legitimise it by giving you this pathetic excuse of being afraid his car will get scratched (aren't we all?).If anyone else said it to him I suspect he would try and use you as an alibi. I reckon management know about this issue and can't be bothered dealing with it, so bring it to their attention to be deal with in a general way and not referring to the specific person involved, and by making it known to the contracting company employing the security guard, what the policy is on use of disabled bays.
    IMO, the enforcement of the rules on parking bays is the responsibility of the management on whose premises the bays are. All too often they fail in this respect, and I believe we should bring it to their attention, and not do their job for them.

Eph.

Bang. On. I have raised it with a manager, who in turn is going to raise it with the manager who is responisible for over-seeing the carpark.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

Go to this site and print out some of these bad boys.

linkyyyyy

seanybiker wrote: »
    Go to this site and print out some of these bad boys.

linkyyyyy

Genius. Although I think I'll leave it and let it go through the proper channels!!??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

Genius. Although I think I'll leave it and let it go through the proper channels!!??

Yeah your better off. I printed a few off before and put them on neighbours cars for the Craic.

seanybiker wrote: »
    Yeah your better off. I printed a few off before and put them on neighbours cars for the Craic.

LOL. I'm already in a chair - don't want to end up in a wooden box(just yet!)

Bang. On. I have raised it with a manager, who in turn is going to raise it with the manager who is responisible for over-seeing the carpark.

I raised the issue with the manager - and he emailed it on to the relevant person, so we'll see what happens............?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,085 ✭✭✭✭listermint

I raised the issue with the manager - and he emailed it on to the relevant person, but "CC'd" me in the email!! :mad:

Well in fairness, stand up for your convictions. Whats to be afraid off? the guy wont talk to you anymore? maybe he should see the error of his ways.

listermint wrote: »
    Well in fairness, stand up for your convictions. Whats to be afraid off? the guy wont talk to you anymore? maybe he should see the error of his ways.

Yeah I edited that post again. LOL.

Best of luck with it, let us know how you get on.

Will do.

• Advertisement

Will do.

<snip>

Sorted..............

EDIT: Although my manager wants to have "a word" with me. I wonder is it because I didn't approach them directly, and went to a general manager instead....?

Advertisement