Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NAT problems with my modem and Xbox Live

Options
  • 19-09-2011 12:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,343 ✭✭✭

I am a regular online gamer but unfortunately I can't connect to games with any of my mates on games such as fifa, this is due I'm told to my strict nat...

I havnt been able to figure this out after a lot of reseaching. The problem lies with the modem I have been told. I have a modem, pretty sure it is this one "http://www.elara.ie/productdetail.aspx?productcode=ECE1921520" its a zyxel. I also have a wireless router, netgear WNR3500v2. The xbox is connected to the netgear router. I searched online to find an answer to my problem and found myself digging a bigger hole. I logged in to my netgear homepage and followed clear instructions on how to open nat on netgear router. I portforwarded, enabled upnp, disabled spi firewall. I though my troubles where over but I returned to my xbox only to find that it was still stuck on strict nat... I asked my techie uncle who told me that although I opened the nat on the router, it may well be the modem that is causing the hassle. That was fine, I thought I was nearing a conclusion, until my next problem arose. For some reason I cant log in to my zyxel modem... I searched for my ip address on the website that tells you your ip address, entered it in the search bar but got this message " Oops! Google Chrome could not connect to(ip address).. Im at a loss, it is really annoying me and I dont know what to do... Any advice would be much appreciated.

Ps: sorry if what I wrote made no sense at all, I'm not what you would call good with computers...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭FSL

Plug your computer directly into the modem and from a command prompt window run ipconfig. The default gateway will be the address of the modem.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,343 ✭✭✭buyer95

FSL wrote: »
    Plug your computer directly into the modem and from a command prompt window run ipconfig. The default gateway will be the address of the modem.

I tried this and it opened but as soon as it did open it automatically closed, tried again same result. It only shows for less than a second so I cant read it to get info:mad:?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 halpin325

Zyxel routers usually have a default ip address of 192.168.1.1 Try plugging your computer directly into the modem and entering 192.168.1.1 into your browser.
    Best of luck!

halpin325 wrote: »
    Zyxel routers usually have a default ip address of 192.168.1.1 Try plugging your computer directly into the modem and entering 192.168.1.1 into your browser.
    Best of luck!

Thanks for suggestion, my modem was already plugged into computer though. I entered that ip address and got the error message. My uncle thinks that the modem might have been assigned a new address because the router and modem might have interfered? This is so frustrating:mad:

You can try resetting the router to it's factory default and then you should be able to login to it then. Reset button is usually located at the back of the router. But check your manual to verify the position, some need to be held for a few second which should be shown in the manual.

• Advertisement

You can try resetting the router to it's factory default and then you should be able to login to it then. Reset button is usually located at the back of the router. But check your manual to verify the position, some need to be held for a few second which should be shown in the manual.

Tried that still get error when I put in 192.168.1.1... I searched there again using three different websites that tell you your ip. All gave me the same 109.78.80.36... But the problem is that doesnt work either.... AHHHHH!

?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭FSL

When you ran Ipconfig did you run it from the command prompt window. If you press start run then type cmd you will get the command window. You type IPconfig into that

FSL wrote: »
    When you ran Ipconfig did you run it from the command prompt window. If you press start run then type cmd you will get the command window. You type IPconfig into that

I found what it said was my ip " http://192.168.1.34/" but the default gateway is different, is that unusual? Anyway same story entered in search bar got error message again. Starting to think it cant be done...:mad::mad::mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

The gateway is the address of the router, thats the ip address you put in the browser.

• Advertisement

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    The gateway is the address of the router, thats the ip address you put in the browser.

Thanks but yet again that didnt work either...Maybe its something Im doing. When I'm signing into my netgear router I am connected to the router but when I try to find the zyxel homepage I am connected(wirelessly) to the modem, is this the correct way of going about it?

Try using a ethernet cable to connect to the zxyel modem instead of wirelessly. a questions, that have to ask. they are probably stupid so don't bit my head off:)

Are you sure you are reseting the modem fully and not just restarting it? Some modems need to the reset button to be held for a few seconds to reset otherwise it just restarts it with the same settings as before which are working for you. Your modem manual will tell you how to reset it.

Try using a ethernet cable to connect to the zxyel modem instead of wirelessly. a questions, that have to ask. they are probably stupid so don't bit my head off:)

Are you sure you are reseting the modem fully and not just restarting it? Some modems need to the reset button to be held for a few seconds to reset otherwise it just restarts it with the same settings as before which are working for you. Your modem manual will tell you how to reset it.

Not stupid when your dealing with someone like me who is computer illiterate. I believed I was resetting the modem, but maybe I wasnt... I dont have the manual anymore but Ill give it a go, holding it for longer. Do you mean use a ethernet cable to connect modem to xbox? Unfortunatley that is not an option due to distance issues...

You can try connecting the xbox to your xbox if you want temporarily to test the connection but what meant was connect the computer to the modem by ethernet cable.
    Manual available here:D: ftp://ftp.zyxel.com/P-661HW-D1/firmware/P-661HW-D1_3.40(AHQ.4)C0.zip

According to the manual you need to hold the reset button while the modem is on for 10 seconds until the power LED blinks and then the modem will be reset to factory default.
    Then HOPEFULLY you will be able to see the login screen when you go to 192.168.1.1 ;)

You can try connecting the xbox to your xbox if you want temporarily to test the connection but what meant was connect the computer to the modem by ethernet cable.
    Manual available here:D: ftp://ftp.zyxel.com/P-661HW-D1/firmware/P-661HW-D1_3.40(AHQ.4)C0.zip

According to the manual you need to hold the reset button while the modem is on for 10 seconds until the power LED blinks and then the modem will be reset to factory default.
    Then HOPEFULLY you will be able to see the login screen when you go to 192.168.1.1 ;)

I followed this instruction, held the power off button for 10 seconds but the power(led) didnt blink... I held it for 20 seconds next time ad same net result:mad:

?

Advertisement