Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stoke Away - Carling Cup

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭BERBA

gomes going the wrong way for every single pen

• Registered Users Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

6-5 Upson
    6-6 Carroll
    7-6 Sutton
    Luongo misses Stoke through unfortunate a youngster had to miss

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭larry1

Gomes another great game :(

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭Mullo76

:( thats the end of that then

• Registered Users Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭Hatch99

fcuk it anyway, a possible trip to wembley gone :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭BERBA

wigan much more important for us next sat , onwards and upwards

gotta flog pav in jan

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭KingdomYid

Good chance of silverware gone, feck it! Pav can jog on the useless twat.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

Ah it's a good experience for the young lads and we came through injury free with a clean sheet. If we are to win a cup this season I'd prefer it to be the EL.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Leinstersqspur

I think the commentator summed that up well.
    "Don't blame the young debutant for missing, blame Roman Pavyluchenko for his abject penalty, a mile off target!"

He bottled it!

ziedth wrote: »
    Ah it's a good experience for the young lads and we came through injury free with a clean sheet. If we are to win a cup this season I'd prefer it to be the EL.

Better experience if they went through and got a few more games. I reckon in future Harry should forget about giving Pav games and stick a young lad in who will at least try.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭Hatch99

KingdomYid wrote: »
    Better experience if they went through and got a few more games. I reckon in future Harry should forget about giving Pav games and stick a young lad in who will at least try.

kane

Hatch99 wrote: »
    kane

Exactly! He would want it more. Pav does not give a sh*t at this stage. Hopefully this will put an end to that stupid chant of "Super Pav", I never understood that one myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,738 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

Disappointed not to get through, mainly because it would have been great for the young lads to get another game. At least they will get more opportunities in the Europa League.

Pav :mad: Sounds like he had a poor game and then blows the penalty a mile over. A guy like that should have been a leader in that game tonight, and at least trying to force his way back into the first XI. He can f*ck right off - attitude stinks.

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭RichMc70

A second string team consisting of youth and disgruntled ex-first team players was only going to end in defeat. My only surprise is that we made it to penalties.

If Redknapp thought that Stoke would do the same then he was deluded. If he just thought 'Ahh fcuk it who care's it's only the league cup' then he's showing a losing mentality. Either way he was wrong.

Maybe he's saving the first choice to win the premiership or possibly the Europa league...oh hang on there...... he's playing the kids in the Europa too....sure it must be the premiership he's after then.

Good luck to stoke, I hope they go on and win it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭mushykeogh

RichMc70 wrote: »
    A second string team consisting of youth and disgruntled ex-first team players was only going to end in defeat. My only surprise is that we made it to penalties.

If Redknapp thought that Stoke would do the same then he was deluded. If he just thought 'Ahh fcuk it who care's it's only the league cup' then he's showing a losing mentality. Either way he was wrong.

Maybe he's saving the first choice to win the premiership or possibly the Europa league...oh hang on there...... he's playing the kids in the Europa too....sure it must be the premiership he's after then.

Good luck to stoke, I hope they go on and win it

Stoke made seven changes as well so far from their first team. Its not as if we were beaten out the gate, 7-6 on penalties, its a bit of a toss up really when it goes to sudden death. I think Harry thought that starting 11 would have been enough to account for stoke.
    I imagine Levy is more interested in 4th place and champions league than any cup competition this year. I would rather clinch fourth and have no trophy than the other way around. Even the FA cup has lost alot of its prestige.
    I think its a good move to play the fringe players in these game, the fresher our first team is the better in my opinion.

Still a bit peed off we got knocked out though. Come feb or March we might be grateful of having a midweek free of games?

Whatever about the Carling Cup, the FA Cup must be taken seriously. It would be disrespectful to our history IMO to not field our strongest team in that competition. Fair enough 4th spot is very important, but there are no trophies or medals for finishing 4th. Football is about winning trophies and playing in finals. Also the FA Cup should not affect our league games as it is played on specific weekends and does not involve 2 games in a week. This is how i feel about it anyway, sorry it is a bit off topic for this thread. COYS

• Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Leinstersqspur

They may have made changes, but they still fielded a strong team, we fielded a second string side. How many premier league games will Townsend, Carroll and Luongo play this season, not many I would guess...

For my twopence, the EPL takes precedence over all competitions, admittedly a good run in a cup competition would be nice...

Will Luka Modric want to stay at Tottenham if we win the Carling Cup but finish 5th in the EPL? Will Sandro be looking at Italian/Spanish clubs next summer if we fail to get into the CL?

The club made a statement by not letting Luka Modric leave this summer, Tottenham are no longer a selling club, Liverpool are, Arsenal are, Tottenham aren't!

We've a new stadium coming down the tracks and the only thing that matters is winning back 'our spot' in the top 4 and playing CL football regularly.

Imagine we finished 3rd and Chelsea finished 4th.... Where would Luka go then;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,946 ✭✭✭SuprSi

I agree with some here in that I'm not too disappointed to lose, especially as it came down to penalties and if you compare the penalty takers on the Stoke team to the Spurs team, you'll see the difference in experience levels. It's good that the young lads get a run out and have the experience of taking pressue penalties - something that will stand to them in later life.

I also agree about Pav. He's had plenty of opportunities in EL and now CC games and hasn't had one decent game. He should have been leading by example last night and for him to miss the penalty, and miss it so badly, putting all the pressure back on the young lads, was just criminal. If he can't be bothered, let someone with hunger take his place, like Carroll.

The FA cup is an important competition but KingdomYid is right in that it takes the place of normal PL games rather than squeezing in alongside the PL and EL games so full teams should be played.

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭oppiuy

Ive been the biggest supporters of Pav and Gomes for the last few years.
    I think we all loved Pav because we could see he had more ability than poor old crouchy, and we were crying out for more. Adebayor comes in and really pushes the standard up, Pav has had 2 games to show some spirit and fire in his belly and at least try and push for a spot in aour front 2. He has been poor both games.
    Gomes i still have a soft point for but again last night he made lots of errors. If he could cut them out he would be amazing but hes had enough time.

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭RichMc70

mushykeogh wrote: »
    I think Harry thought that starting 11 would have been enough to account for stoke.

Had it been a PL game he wouldnt have played the same 11. A lack of respect for the competition and the travelling Spurs fans. At least be honest and come out and say he doesnt give a bollox about the league cup.....or the europa league for that matter. If nothing else it would save some clueless fans from spending their hard earned cash on games that Harry deems nothing more than a friendly.

I imagine Levy is more interested in 4th place and champions league than any cup competition this year. I would rather clinch fourth and have no trophy than the other way around.

He wasnt that interested that he'd spend reasonable sums to bring in players who would increase the chances of a top four finish.
    Even the FA cup has lost alot of its prestige.

But yet on only three occasions in the last 20 years has teams from outside the top 4/5 won the competition. The glory of winning those finals stay with you forever.....the taking part in the Champions League but going out in knockout stages wears off very soon.

Nothing personal Mushy just my own alternative opinion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭mushykeogh

RichMc70 wrote: »
    Had it been a PL game he wouldnt have played the same 11. A lack of respect for the competition and the travelling Spurs fans. At least be honest and come out and say he doesnt give a bollox about the league cup.....or the europa league for that matter. If nothing else it would save some clueless fans from spending their hard earned cash on games that Harry deems nothing more than a friendly.

Did anyone expect Harry to put out a full team? He pretty much has come out and said he doesnt give a bollox about them, as much as he can without being fined by the fa id imagine.

He wasnt that interested that he'd spend reasonable sums to bring in players who would increase the chances of a top four finish.

True, but he is a tight git/clever business man, Harry got us 4th before on limited resources so i reckon he thinks harry should be able to do it again. He wants the maximum income from the minimal outlay. It is generally accepted that he is trying to have the club as profitable/attractive as possible to sell i the future?

But yet on only three occasions in the last 20 years has teams from outside the top 4/5 won the competition. The glory of winning those finals stay with you forever.....the taking part in the Champions League but going out in knockout stages wears off very soon.

Good point, i still feel its lost abit of its shine though.
    Nothing personal Mushy just my own alternative opinion

No personal offence taken!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭mickman

what will stay with us for years is beating inter at the lane last season and beating ac at the san siro - in other words our champs league experience will stay with us - not the mickey mouse competition that is the carling cup

Advertisement