Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Seiously quick recipies for a kids cookery class

Options
  • 19-09-2011 1:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭

I have a class of kids begging me to do a cookery class with them. It's only a 40 minute class so I would need something extra quick with little or no prep involved as I have class after that I need to get to.

I have looked on the internet but everything seems to be very preppy. Something that kids would like is a bonus. Probably sweetie things! :D

cheers

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,437 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

What sort of age group? Maybe something like this, I've made this several times as biscuits.

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭martic

Ciaran was asked to do a cooking demo at school this week for the inspector coming so this is what he is making,its sooooo easy and there is no cooking involved, if you could make 1 in advance so once the kids have theirs made for setting they could taste it with out having to wait

Twenties

Ingredients
    20 digestive biscuits (crushed)
    20 marshmallows (small pieces)
    Handful of cut up cherries
    1 can of condensed milk
    Handful coconut

Equipment
    Bowl
    Spoon
    Tinfoil

Instructions
    1. Add the digestives, marshmallows, cherries and condensed milk to a bowl.
    2. Mix well with a spoon.
    3. Place mixture onto the tinfoil.
    4. Make into a sausage shape and roll tightly.
    5. Place in fridge and to set.
    6. Take out of fridge.
    7. Remove from the tinfoil and sprinkle all over with coconut.
    8. Cut into circles, eat and enjoy.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

What kind of equipment will you have available? Pancakes/crepes are very easily prepped and cooked. Skills to be learned with the measuring and whisking. You could do loads of different toppings with them as well, from fruit, a cheese & ham combo, all the way to chocolate buttons and marshmallows.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭ash23

I make "top hats" with my 8 year old although I'm not sure it counts as cooking.

Melt chocolate, pour into a paper case about 1cm deep, pop on a marshmallow and on top of the marshmallow a dob of choc and a smartie.

I use white chocolate and a few different food colourings if I'm feeling adventurous.

Might be a bit too simple for older kids but easy and tasty for younger ones.

top-hats-top-buns.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44,501 ✭✭✭✭Deki

This is a recipe my aunt used to let us make at Christmas. It started with a boiled peeled potato, mash smooth, with hands ( let potato cool until it can easily be handled) work in Powdered sugar until it forms a dough that is stiff enough to roll out on waxed paper. Kids love rolling stuff out. Roll out about 1/4 to 1/3 inch thick. Spread on a layer of peanut butter. From the long side roll up like a jelly roll, into a tube. Cut into slices with a sharp knife, or since these are kids give them a piece of unflavored dental floss and let them slide it under and cross over and pull ends to slice. Let slices air dry - wrap individually in wax paper and store airtight. She saved coffee can jars for us to put them in ( we taped paper over the outside of these too with our own crayon designed decoration for labels) then we ate them and fed them to our father.:)

• Advertisement
Advertisement