Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How important is IS on telephoto zoom

Options
  • 19-09-2011 1:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭

Im thinking of getting my first telephoto zoom. Was looking Canon EF 70-200mm f4.0 L USM Lens. It has no stabilisation though. Since my budget is restricted, am I better opting for lesser quality glass so that I can afford a lens with IS? Opinions welcome.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,392 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

IMHO, if it is a trade off between quality optics and IS, i'd go for quality optics. IS is a relatively modern addition to photography and people for many years have gotten on just fine without it. If the affordability factor lines up with your budget then yes go for quality glass with IS, but if it doesn't then i'd start with quality glass without IS. Old school ways of stabilising your lens are still valid - tripods, monopods, sides of walls, on top of tables, how you hold your camera, a piece of string wrapped around your feet (yes, there is such a technique which apparently can be pretty good in its own way).

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,257 Mod ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

The 70-200 f4 is superb, I wouldnt worry too much about IS at this stage. An IS lens is perfect for static subjects (can help in panning) and most of the IS lenses also have weathersealing when teamed up with a pro series body (1d)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

IS is only of use when you're shooting at relatively low shutter speeds. The rule of thumb is that to avoid camera shake you need to be shooting at a shutter speed faster than the reciprocal of your focal length. So if you have a 200mm lens you need to be shooting faster then 1/200s to avoid shake.

With IS you can go 3 to 4 stops faster than this. I've managed 1/30 at 200mm with my 70-200 easily enough. Of course the question is how often would you need this and would you simply be better off with a tripod?

Advertisement