Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying a club gun

Options
  • 19-09-2011 1:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭

I'm currently weighing up my options in regards to my first shotgun.
    I was looking at a gun that has been used for 'club use' , but apparently only as a "secondary gun". It's appears in decent condition, although the gold has worn off the trigger and is now turned silver. I shot her and she fits well etc, however when opening the barrel one of the cartridges doesn't eject properly and I have to "click it" in another movement (if that makes sense).
    I have asked;
    1- the age of the gun
    2- how long it's been a club gun for
    3- roughly how often / how many shots it's had through it

I was told that the answers above were "unknown" at the time of looking at it, so keen to find out more about it.

Anybody got any opinions on buying a club gun? Do the probs stated above cause for concern?There would be a 6month warranty with it and it's very reputable make of gun.

As it's my first gun, I'm not too sure about the whole thing tbh.

I dont really want to disclose the club or gun info for obvious reasons ;)

Cheers in advance...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

If the gun is not a bargain could you buy the same model from a dealers but without the issues.

Being honest getting accurate answers on second hand firearms can be tough. Firearms dealers have no way of knowing hold old a gun is or how many rounds a private individual put through it.

The gun in question has probably seen a lot of use if the plating on the trigger has worn off. If the price is decent compared to a functionally perfect second hand example then it may be worth a go because of the club standing over it.

Could you ask them to fix the ejector before selling or haggle with them based on the fact you will have to pay to get the ejector fixed?

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭zacmorris

Vegeta wrote: »
    If the gun is not a bargain could you buy the same model from a dealers but without the issues.

Being honest getting accurate answers on second hand firearms can be tough. Firearms dealers have no way of knowing hold old a gun is or how many rounds a private individual put through it.

The gun in question has probably seen a lot of use if the plating on the trigger has worn off. If the price is decent compared to a functionally perfect second hand example then it may be worth a go because of the club standing over it.

Could you ask them to fix the ejector before selling or haggle with them based on the fact you will have to pay to get the ejector fixed?

Thanks for the reply,

This gun was used in the respective club, so would have started life there, new! I figured if the plating has come off that she's gotten a fair bit of use alright. Other than that though, she seems (from an inexperienced eye) to be in good condition. Will suss out the ejector if I decide to make an offer on her etc.

Thanks for the advice, buying my first gun is proving to a time-consuming process, just want to get my license sorted for November 1st :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭Antoennis

What type of gun is it and how much are they looking for it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭deeksofdoom

Vegeta wrote: »

If you look hard enough you can find out how old a gun is, the year of manufacture is usually with the proof marks on a shotgun.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭Alan 1990

"Just want to get my license sorted for November 1st" better get cracking on the application and get it sent in so you hopefully have it by then. Think everyone will agree that waiting for the license in the post can be a great pain in the ass. Happy hunting anyway and good luck with it.

• Advertisement

Alan 1990 wrote: »
    "Just want to get my license sorted for November 1st" better get cracking on the application and get it sent in so you hopefully have it by then. Think everyone will agree that waiting for the license in the post can be a great pain in the ass. Happy hunting anyway and good luck with it.

Yeah, hopefully it's quick! But I've heard what they're like, haha.
    Cheers...

If you look hard enough you can find out how old a gun is, the year of manufacture is usually with the proof marks on a shotgun.

Cheers, I'm going to try google the serial number. If they had it from new, then I'm hoping they will be able to find out all the info for me.

Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭deeksofdoom

zacmorris wrote: »
    Cheers, I'm going to try google the serial number. If they had it from new, then I'm hoping they will be able to find out all the info for me.

Cheers.

Here is a good link has all the prof date codes, I found out my SXS was made in 1983.

http://www.hallowellco.com/proof_date_codes.htm

Here is a good link has all the prof date codes, I found out my SXS was made in 1983.

http://www.hallowellco.com/proof_date_codes.htm

Well, I've sent two emails to the dealer/ club in question since I viewed the gun and no reply- so going to look elsewhere for now. I'm ready to buy a gun, so it's a shame they never got back...

Thanks for all the advice, looking forward to finally getting sorted!

Advertisement