Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving from Lisbon to Dublin

Options
  • 19-09-2011 2:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

Hi,

In 3 weeks )if everything goes well) I will start work in Eastpoint BusinessPark in Dublin.. Since I've read a lot of different opinions in some threads, could someone give me an opinion to where should I live?

- Safety is important subject for me
    - Moderate nightlife
    - Public Transportation since I will not have a car
    - My budget it's about 750/800€ max
    - Sharing a 2 bedrooms is an option too

Do you have a lot of laundries to clean suits and suit shirts?

Thanks in advance.
    RC

P.S.: I think I will miss portuguese weather...!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Well you need to be more specific, what's your budget? Do you want to share? etc...

BTW Portugal is a beautiful country, been there like 15 times over 20 years and yes you will miss the weather! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 rcnike

You're right, forget the most important info!

- 750/800€ it's the most I'm able to afford
    - Sharing 2 bedrooms flat can be an option

15 times? So you already know a lot of Portugal.. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

rcnike wrote: »
    You're right, forget the most important info!

- 750/800€ it's the most I'm able to afford
    - Sharing 2 bedrooms flat can be an option

15 times? So you already know a lot of Portugal.. :)

Do you mind commuting a bit? Eastpoint is down in the docklands area, so the Red Line LUAS travels basically to it, so you've areas like Smithfield, Heuston Quarters, Kilmainham/Inchicore to look into. www.daft.ie is a good site to start with.

15 times, all in Albuferia though! :D

From what I see, from Smithfield to the Eastpoint Business Park the LUAS doesn't go there, I have to change in O'Connel Station..

From what I read here all ares near Eastpoint Business Park are bad.. Summerhil, East Wall, Docklands, Sheriff Street and i'm a little mixed.

The sweet Algarve.. good choice ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭desertcircus

If you're willing to cycle, it opens up a lot of areas on the south side of the river. Areas like Rathmines and Ranelagh are about six kilometres from Eastpoint, so would be less than half an hour's easy cycling, and they're both lovely areas. Ranelagh has some excellent pubs, and Rathmines is a bit busier in the evenings - and they're five minutes' walk from each other. The Luas green line runs through Ranelagh if you want to head south, and you're walking distance from the city centre. Laundrettes shouldn't be a problem.

If you do think cycling would be okay, you might be able to buy one tax-free through the Cycle To Work scheme - you'd need to talk to your employer about it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Bigcheeze

rcnike wrote: »

From what I read here all ares near Eastpoint Business Park are bad.. Summerhil, East Wall, Docklands, Sheriff Street and i'm a little mixed.

The sweet Algarve.. good choice ;)

Not all. Clontarf is a very good area.

Also the Dart train is more convenient than the Luas for Eastpoint so that opens up a lot of possibilities.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭cocokay

artane, killester, clontarf and fairview would be handy if you are working there - otherwise you could get the dart to clontarf dart station so anywhere on the dart line would work, or take the bus from places like belmayne, northern cross, clarehall etc to fairview which is about 20 mins and buses are really regular there?
    i loved Lisbon :) best of luck!

If you're willing to cycle, it opens up a lot of areas on the south side of the river. Areas like Rathmines and Ranelagh are about six kilometres from Eastpoint, so would be less than half an hour's easy cycling, and they're both lovely areas. Ranelagh has some excellent pubs, and Rathmines is a bit busier in the evenings - and they're five minutes' walk from each other. The Luas green line runs through Ranelagh if you want to head south, and you're walking distance from the city centre. Laundrettes shouldn't be a problem.

If you do think cycling would be okay, you might be able to buy one tax-free through the Cycle To Work scheme - you'd need to talk to your employer about it.

I have to see, but with this kind of weather.. I think only in spring/summer I will be able to do it..
    Bigcheeze wrote: »
    Not all. Clontarf is a very good area.

Also the Dart train is more convenient than the Luas for Eastpoint so that opens up a lot of possibilities.

I can get to Luas the Point Station and after they have bus to Easpoint Business Park, seems good option Smithfield..

Thanks for your quick help guys! :)
    cocokay wrote: »
    artane, killester, clontarf and fairview would be handy if you are working there - otherwise you could get the dart to clontarf dart station so anywhere on the dart line would work, or take the bus from places like belmayne, northern cross, clarehall etc to fairview which is about 20 mins and buses are really regular there?
    i loved Lisbon best of luck!

Thanks I will check these out :)

Hope I will love Dublin too :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭donaghs

Clontarf would be the nicest of the areas nearby, also unfortunately will mean you'd pay more for rent.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,431 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Smithfield suffers from having a horse market once a month.

I would go with Clontarf. There are a variety of shops and a supermarket at Fairview Strand. It is close enough to the city centre for sopping, nightlife, etc.

East Point is very conscious about commuting, so ask your employer for details.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭cosmic

As other posters have said, Clontarf is lovely but pricey. Marino would be a good bet either - it's handy for East Point, slightly closer to town than Clontarf and also a nice, safe area.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭ANXIOUS

If i as you, id stick to clontarf, raheny or marino. All with in walking distance of eastpoint. Also there is a free shuttle bus from clontarf train station to eastpoint every 15mins.

Advertisement