Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hidden culinary gems

Options
  • 19-09-2011 2:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭

An Italian guy I work with told me about an Italian shop I should check out on Forge Hill just off the Kinsale rd. I checked it out on Saturday - it's not that easy to find - but just follow the small signs of the Italian flag. I got offered a espresso (on the house) as soon as I went it.

Everything in there is totally authentic Italian produce. Small shop but packed with lots of stuff. Found the blog below where the guy does a great job describing it.

http://conoroneill.com/2007/02/13/my-kinda-deli/

I'm just wondering are there any similar, slightly out of the way places, like for example The Cinnamon Cottage in Rochestown that others could recommend?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,430 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

thanks for that tip vrobot.

I'm not a big fan of Cinnamon Cottage, some of the stuff is average and OK, some is very good but really expensive. I presume this place will suffer with the recession. They made a killing in the boom times for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭vrobot

Yeah that place is quite expensive alright and maybe it wasn't the best example to give.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭trebormurf

The Boot's Specialities

trebormurf wrote: »
    The Boot's Specialities

did you not read the OP?

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭trebormurf

The op doesn't mention the correct name baby

• Advertisement

trebormurf wrote: »
    The op doesn't mention the correct name baby

if you read the post and actually could be bothered to read the link...lover.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,495 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

thanks for that tip vrobot.

I'm not a big fan of Cinnamon Cottage, some of the stuff is average and OK, some is very good but really expensive. I presume this place will suffer with the recession. They made a killing in the boom times for sure.

Went out to the parents yesterday and they had stuff from the CC again. I find it a bit rank tbh, the chicken in the pies etc. I find to be really cheap stuff and quite plasticy. The gratin is also a mess. I think they like the shop more than the products.

Went out to the parents yesterday and they had stuff from the CC again. I find it a bit rank tbh, the chicken in the pies etc. I find to be really cheap stuff and quite plasticy. The gratin is also a mess. I think they like the shop more than the products.

that's actually a very good point. The shop has a certain thing about it, great name for one. Also it looks impressive, small and homely with the kitchens within sight so you know it's all home-cooked. Some of the girls working behind the counter are quite good looking too, hey, it helps:D
    I also find the food to actually look/sound better than it actually does.
    Mind you, some of their ice-cream and tiramisu is pretty tasty.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭vrobot

So looks like no-one has any suggestions of any other cool out of the way nice places?!!

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Judes

Maybe not such a secret but the Ballymaloe Pizza place on a Saturday, it's a cafe next to Cookery School where you can only get fresh oven baked pizzas with unusual toppings and they have a little shop there too - I have to buy something everytime I'm there - like smoked sea salt - expensive but nice stuff there.

Must try that Italian place on Forge Hill, sounds wonderful.

I like the Chinese Supermarket off Tramore Road, haven't been there in a while but last time I was there, I stocked up on all sorts of bits and pieces - nearest I can get in Cork to shopping in Chinatown, London.

Any other places out there we should all know about???

• Advertisement
Advertisement