Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Accuracy: .22lr -v- .223

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭demonloop

tomcat220t wrote: »
    More accurate than what ?

Read the thread, and the thread it split from.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,147 ✭✭✭dev110

Maybe im not on the ball but ive looked back through the thread and cant find where tack said he got a 7mm group with his .308 @300 yards :confused:.If i have missed something ,sorry !

Don't know where the .308 came out of. We are talking about his .223

• Registered Users Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭tomcat220t

dev110 wrote: »
    Don't know where the .308 came out of. We are talking about his .223
    Did he say 7mm @300 yards :confused:

demonloop wrote: »
    Originally Posted by Tackleberrywho
    Thats where you and I will differ on opinion.
    I have a vernier calipers that says I can put 10 rounds into a smaller hole than 7mm....
    Where in that exact quote is 300 yards ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,147 ✭✭✭dev110

With the greatest of respect, a .22lr and a centrefire rifle SAAMI pressures are chalk and cheese.

Did you ever consider your Lilja may do 6mm groups had it not been proofed :D

The real accuracy of a rifle is not tested until after 50 metres. Several rifles can 1 hole @50 metres, infact my .223 can shoot consistently better groups than your Lilja at the same distance. Should I get that proofed to prove otherwise?
    Custom centrefires are 600-1200 yard Rifles depending on calibre, things only get tricky after 50m;)
    @ Tac Foley.
    I'm not insulting any guy in London or Birmingham. They are only doing their job, as outlined by their laws........
    I'm glad I don't live in England and don't need there help all the same.
    when my bullet is travelling at 729 fps it is 120 Joules which I reckon would be around 1100 yards, buy my spec (kill zone) is not 1100 yards but 50-600 and 50-250 on foxes. At 300 yards my rifle is ~Demonloops accuracy levels @50

My rifle was not designed to be a paper puncher, but a Varminter. I know, I designed it and proved it in the field.

If some guy in Birmingham or London has a problem with that, it's his problem.
    Where in that exact quote is 300 yards ?

:D

• Advertisement

Ok i read it but where is 7mm @300 yards coming into this ?Not great @ maths but whats 1/2" @ 50 yards (approx) is 1moa ...yes/no?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

Ok i read it but where is 7mm @300 yards coming into this ?

Looking back tomcat I think you might be getting wires crossed. You're the first person to mention 7mm and 300 yards.

Ezridax mentioned 7mm and .308 but did not mention any distance in the post you quoted.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Yeah, the 7mm group was Tack talking about his .223 at 50m.

Ok sorry,i get the picture ....thats achievable, 7mm outside to outside or minus the caliber ?

No idea, tack wasn't clear on the specifics.
    But whether it's edge-to-edge or center-to-center, group size of a .223 at 50m isn't terribly useful. You'd want to figure out how much kinetic energy the .22lr round has at 50m and how much it's lost of its muzzle energy by that point, then figure out the range at which the .223 round has lost as much energy as the .22lr round had (proportionately I suppose) and check the accuracy at that range if you wanted to even try to do a comparison. Otherwise you're not really comparing fairly.

• Advertisement

MIDAS M has a M/V of 1066 fps and a M/E of 101ft-lbs . G1 B/C of 132
    @ 50 yards ,based on the above figures it should have anT /V of 980fps and a target energy of 85 ft-lbs .Not much good at maths :o but it looses a little over 15% engrgy @50 yards .What .223 round was it been compared to ?

Whatever one Tack was using. 48 grain hornady match ammo I think. You might want to recheck your figures though - you need the drop in energy for the .22lr at 50 metres, not 50 yards.

Sparks wrote: »
    Whatever one Tack was using. 48 grain hornady match ammo I think. You might want to recheck your figures though - you need the drop in energy for the .22lr at 50 metres, not 50 yards.
    The extra 5 yards it only looses 1 lb-ft (84lb-fts) T/V of 978 fps :rolleyes:.......Let say hes using hornady 53gr superformance !With a M/V of 3465 fps , a M/E of 1413 lb-ft and a G1 B/C of .290 .Lets say a 16% energy loss of 226 lbs approx figures ,sorry !So 1187lb-fts is approx. will be the target energy and based on the above figures should be less than 75 meters .

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

People, people, people.

Mr.Flibble made a reference to how people's groups get smaller the more they talk about them, and likened it to a fisherman talking about a fish he caught and how it gets bigger the more he tells the story.

I joked that it won't be long till someone brags about getting a 7mm group with a .308. You know 7.62mm.

It was a general joke, and apparently not a very funny one at that. I made no reference to anyone with my comment nor am i directing it at anyone.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭demonloop

Ezridax wrote: »
    People, people, people.

Mr.Flibble made a reference to how people's groups get smaller the more they talk about them, and likened it to a fisherman talking about a fish he caught and how it gets bigger the more he tells the story.

I joked that it won't be long till someone brags about getting a 7mm group with a .308. You know 7.62mm.

It was a general joke, and apparently not a very funny one at that. I made no reference to anyone with my comment nor am i directing it at anyone.

I felt a little bullied, you being a moderator and all that :(

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Just use this little button ...........

report.gif

........... and a moderator will deal with it. :D
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

Advertisement