Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Worth getting a new xbox?

• 19-09-2011 3:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 461 ✭✭

Hi all,

I currently have an xbox 360 arcade. Iv never had any trouble with its still in great nick. I only use it for the few games i buy so its never been introduced to xbox live.
    This model has 256mb of memory(basically no memory) and after getting some newer games updates had to be installed. Ali of a sudden my all ready small memory is pretty much gone. I'm no expert but am i right in blaming the updates? Iv deleted old game save info and other player profiles and cleared the cache so theres nothing else to take up the space? I understand these updates are needed but I'm just curious weather a simple external harddrive will work or does it have to be a proper xbox one?

Or would i be simply better buying a new xbox and trading in?
    Does anyone have any idea how much id get for my xbox in the likes of gamestop or would they even take it?

I'm thinkin that i might get into online gameing and newer xbox have wireless?
    So does this mean if i connect an internet dongle such as a meteor or o2 one to my laptop would that work? Or would it be to slow?
    Sorry about all use questions and thanks so advance!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

Buy a new xbox. I've bigger game demo's on mine than your xbox's memory.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Buy a new xbox. I've bigger game demo's on mine than your xbox's memory.

to be honest you're better off trying to sell the arcade privately maybe something like adverts.ie, gamestop prob wouldn't even take it, back up your saves to usb first!

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭fishsticks

1. Yes the updates used up the memory in your console.

2. No an external HDD would not be the best option, either getting a 60GB xbox one or as the others said a new console.

3. Buy a new one I would recommend as I find the new console better and do not trade in as they will offer terrible trade in
    to be honest you're better off trying to sell the arcade privately maybe something like adverts.ie
    Back up any data from your console to a USB memory stick, xbox memory cards are no longer supported.

4. Yes the new Xbox console has built in wireless

5. USB internet dongles, as far as I know, are not supported and if they were I'd presume they were not fast enough to play online.
    Just after checking there and the work around is to connect your pc/laptop to the internet and using internet sharing with the xbox. The only problem is with the dongle it will create lag with online gaming.
    To get a lag-free experience on online games, you must need a ping of under 100ms, and on a 3G connection, the least ping you'd get is 300-400ms.But its better than nothing.
    http://www.renjusblog.com/2009/02/connect-mobile-broadband-dongle-to-xbox.html

6. It's ok about all the questions, it's what everyone is here for :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 461 ✭✭carefulnow100

Thanks lads great help. I think the best option is for me to get a new xbox when i have a few pound spare. Seen a few places have xbox for 185.

Thanks again!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭Creasy_bear

Thanks lads great help. I think the best option is for me to get a new xbox when i have a few pound spare. Seen a few places have xbox for 185.

Thanks again!

the 250g slim?

• Advertisement

the 250g slim?

I think so. Its on the gamestop website as its been reduced. Don't know if link will work as I'm on the phone.

http://www.gamestop.ie/42001_Xbox_360_Xbox_360_S_Console_250GB.aspx

Its on the gamestop home page. Is there a new xbox planned for anytime soon. Is it worth waiting?

I think so. Its on the gamestop website as its been reduced. Don't know if link will work as I'm on the phone.

http://www.gamestop.ie/42001_Xbox_360_Xbox_360_S_Console_250GB.aspx

Its on the gamestop home page. Is there a new xbox planned for anytime soon. Is it worth waiting?

Ya, but it also says it's "not available" on the gamestop site. Nor is it available at Harvey Norman. They were also doing that offer a while back.

Ya, but it also says it's "not available" on the gamestop site. Nor is it available at Harvey Norman. They were also doing that offer a while back.

Sorry missed that.

Did you hear anything like Do you reakon its just sold out or that offers gone?

Sorry missed that.

Did you hear anything like Do you reakon its just sold out or that offers gone?

I really don't know. From time to time they might just sell a few of them at that price just to get some good publicity :confused:

I know MS have stopped manufacturing the "glossy" black slim, they're now selling a matte black one. The one you see on the gamestop site is the glossy one.

• Advertisement

Suppose i may just keep a look out and shop around!!

Suppose i may just keep a look out and shop around!!

sent you a pm there of what I think is a good deal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 ItsAtrick

If it's just memory you're after you could buy a 4gb USB stick for about €12 and plug that in.

ItsAtrick wrote: »
    If it's just memory you're after you could buy a 4gb USB stick for about €12 and plug that in.

Will any old usb work? Poster before said its not a great option.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 ItsAtrick

ItsAtrick wrote: »

Will any old usb work? Poster before said its not a great option.
    It depends what you wanna do. But for just memory the USB is a good and cheaper option.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,513 ✭✭✭donalg1

Defo try get a new one, i got mine years ago have the external hard drive on it, have probably thirty to forty games played on that console and saved on it, still not even close to being full, id say if its more than 15% id be amazed now. Plus if you cant play online with your current one you gotta get a new one, online play adds another massive dimension to any game, especially the likes of call of duty i bought black ops when it was released and am still playing it now

Advertisement