Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thinking of getting hamsters - need some advice please :)

• 19-09-2011 3:14pm
    Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I'm thinking of getting a couple of hamsters, i was in Petstop at the weekend and saw them and thought they were brilliant, plus a friend of mine has two and she absolutely loves them. I've always wanted something like this since I was a kid but i think I'm going to just go and do it now! My friend has two dwarf hamsters she says they are fun pets. However I was looking at Gerbils too - they look like great fun - and from a past thread here people seem to say gerbils are more fun, the only thing is the different cages that are needed...

I really like the ones from Habitrail - I like the way they are enclosed and clean and modular so you can build on them. I really don't want a cage like this - which I'm told you need for a getbil, is that true? Can you put a Gerbil in a Habitrail? I was thinking of this Ovo Loft, with some extra attachments. I also kinda like this one from Rotastak - which one would be best does anyone know?

For the hamsters themselves - what are the best ones (breed etc) to get? Any particular stores that are good to go to?

My flatmate would prefer if we could get some that need to be rehomed instead of buying them. Any idea where I could best do this?

Any other advice from hamster/gerbil owners would be appreciated!
    Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

I can't open your links as my internet is crap and won't open them, but I know the general idea of the cages. I would avoid those plastic type cages for gerbils as they love to chew and they will chew a hole out. For gerbils I would recommend either wire cages or even better an aquarium type one as they love to dig and you can put in a deep base for them to dig through with the least amount of stuff scattered all over the floor. If your planning on getting 2 or more dwarf hamsters I would avoid modular or multi-level cages as these can start off rows over territory, also have multiple food dishes, water bottles, wheels, beds etc.

Iv had dwarf hamsters, a syrian hamster and a gerbil. Gerbils are much harder to handle, their like toddlers on caffeine always on the go and never happy to stand still, always found him hard to catch too, he only bit me once (out of my own stupidity) but just never seemed happy to be picked up. The dwarf hamsters loved being handled, you put your hand in the cage and they'd jump on and wait for you to lift them out, they were always on the go too but at a much slower pace and would sometimes be happy to just sit in your hand and eat a peanut, they gave the odd nip now and again but it was so slight it felt like a little pinch. They were 2 brothers and had the funniest little characters and quirks! Then I had a syrian hamster, cute little thing and again had her little quirks one of which was to bite people, never could tame her fully but when she wasn't biting she was gentle and happy to slowly plod along on your hand sniffing everything.

Hamsters or gerbils I don't think really pop up in rescue too often, it's much too easy to just shove them in a cage in the corner and ignore them. If you don't want to buy from a petshop your best bet is to look though the likes of donedeal for people rehoming them privately or woops litters, just be warned if your buying littermates then be careful sexing them as you don't want to end up with inbred babies. Gerbils are best kept in groups, they like company. Dwarfs can be kept singley or in groups but syrians must be kept on their own.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

Sorry OP but the modular type cages you like are often of quality similar to Happy meal toys! Its also very unhealthy for the little critters as its completely enclosed small places which allows for ammonia fumes to build up very quickly. If you want more than one pet I would be inclined to go for gerbils as even the more social hamster breeds can have serious falling outs between themselves and very often a pair that started off as great friends end up with one killing the other or them having to be caged separately. On the cage front if you are any way handy at all you could have a go at building something like this, now that's an impressive gerbil house! :D

Not so sure it work as well with hamsters, they'd just hide in there and you'd never see them!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Thanks for the advice guys. Ok I have been doing loads of research and yes you are right, these types of plastic cages are not great. I've also decided that I definitely want gerbils and they need a proper cage. I think this is the best one I can find http://www.zooplus.ie/shop/rodents/cages/hamster_mouse_cages/hamster_cages/205033 so going to order that with some accessories.

So, now I have to find my gerbils! I really want a white one :D just not too sure where to go to get one!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

Zascar wrote: »
    Thanks for the advice guys. Ok I have been doing loads of research and yes you are right, these types of plastic cages are not great. I've also decided that I definitely want gerbils and they need a proper cage. I think this is the best one I can find http://www.zooplus.ie/shop/rodents/cages/hamster_mouse_cages/hamster_cages/205033 so going to order that with some accessories.

So, now I have to find my gerbils! I really want a white one :D just not too sure where to go to get one!

If you get that cage you'l have to cover the bars on the floor as constantly walking on that surface is not good for their feet and can cause bumble feet. By interwinding thin cardboard between the bars it'l do the job but you'l need to change it if they pee on it or chew it up.
    If you look up making bin cages you may be able to make up something yourself, there basically the plastic boxes modified with wire added on for ventilation. You just have to be careful that the box you use has no edges that a gerbil can get his teeth around to start chewing.

Advertisement