Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PHN visit

Options
  • 19-09-2011 3:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 457 ✭✭

I remember the public health nurse saying they visit again when baby is 3 months. My son has just turned 3 months and wondered do I need to ring the nurse for the visit or do they automatically visit you again after 3 month??

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

You can visit any time you want.
    Just ring them to check their opening hours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

You can visit them, or they may send out letters to remind you. Sometimes they are so busy they forget... my last PHN used to leave it up to me, but my new one sends out reminders.

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭qwertytlk

My son is 13w weeks this week and my phn rang 2weeks ago, asked how things were and said she would be coming to see me the following week for his 3month check. She said she would ring me when i asked was i to bring him to her or what the arrangements were, but alas, i still havent heard from her. Il be ringing her if she doesnt contact me by mid week. Maybe give her a call....

• Registered Users Posts: 457 ✭✭Winnie

So I just call them and make an appointment to go in for a 3 month check up basically?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

Yes give her a ring and set an appointment with her.
    She will arrange any other appointments after that, but you are more than welcome to arrange for one if you think you need your child to be seen/measured/weighed in between, anytime at all.

I had arranged for my son to be seen at 4 1/2 months (he's nearly 6 months now). PHN said she'll ring me and have the next appointment arranged when he's 8 months, but I could have one in between if I want to, in case I do a regular development check on him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭happywithlife

my (one week shy of being) 21 month ol just had his 18 month checkup the other day - every development check has been at least 3 months behind schedule and the older the get the worse it is. :mad:

Your PHN is probably just very busy. Mine is very on the ball, she's doing my daughters 3 year check at the end of this month, she'll be two months shy of 3 years old but better early than late. Take the lead and ring her when it's coming up to a check and remind her.

• Registered Users Posts: 457 ✭✭Winnie

i rang the health centre and they just said to come to the centre any tuesday, so im going this morning, so seems like its just up to me when i go instead of the nurse contacting me.

Just ask her for a list of when your child should have checks and turn up on or around then. Let her know you're coming for the 7-9 month check though because that's when they do the hearing test.

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭MaudL

Apologies for highjacking the thread. We moved to Ireland a few months ago, and I am wondering how to get a PHN, where do I find her, make an appointment, etc...
    My boy is now 15 months old
    Thanks!

• Advertisement

Your local HSE health centre should be able to tell you who and where your PHN is...

http://www.hse.ie/eng/services/maps/

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭MaudL

Wow I had no idea that HSE thing even existed. :eek:
    Thanks January!

Advertisement