Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Biulding PC, from bargain BIN?

Options
  • 19-09-2011 3:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭

hear me out lol! :D

I want a new gaming system, but i putted down deposit on a house to buy, so money will have to be spent elsewhere for awile.

my current pc is still okay for games( q6600,3gb, 6870 ), but diablo 3 showed how outdated my rig is, plus BF3 will kick its ass too . I am not in a rush as i am still able to play most stuff out there.

I dont mind biulding this rig in 5-6 month period. for example get nice case now, then buy a good PSU on sale etc. when times comes and there is a good deal on mobo buy it too. do you understand where i am going with it? Hunting for bargains with no time limit to biuld it.

i presume keeping such things like GPU and CPU for last, as it can be outdated by the time i will get all biuld done. Wheres HDD, drives, cases, PSU are prety much time bullet proof.

is that very bad idea? its easyer for me to buy bit by bit, then a big bulk of parts. specially when i am not in a rush.

i want to keep my old system intact too. it will be for misses in living room.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

I thought that you asked something like this before. It's a terrible idea.
    1) New tech is being released all the time, what's available at the end might be better than what's there now. Graphics cards have got very quick cycles and move forward quickly.
    2) Tech falls in price (usually). Look at RAM - 8GB is cheaper than what I bought 4GB for at the start of the year, close to what I bought 2GB for 6 months before that (RAM had gone up around then but it's not usually the case).
    3) Old tech goes up in price or reaches a floor, e.g., processors for old sockets. So you might find it hard to get a CPU for your now obsolete motherboard or vice versa.
    4) Your parts are useless separate. You can only read the manuals and look at the shiny boxes so many times.
    5) Warranty. What about when your items are all together and something isn't working?

What you can do is split up upgrades. Since you have a dell, it makes things harder as you can't just upgrade the the board and then the case.

You would have to do PSU first then case + board + RAM + CPU. You could upgrade graphics, and DVD drives later (maybe HDDs/SSDs too depending on how you are set up).

5-6 months is too long for many components. You could do it with some of the slower moving items if you see a great deal at the time. Cases do get huge chages apart from USB coming in. PSUs won't change much and I suppose you could avail of that A-data PSU on komplett as that's better than HWV prices, but you would have to start using it to make sure it doesn't need to be returned!

Bottom line: Better to save your money unless the bargains are damn good.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Monotype wrote: »
    I thought that you asked something like this before. It's a terrible idea.
    1) New tech is being released all the time, what's available at the end might be better than what's there now. Graphics cards have got very quick cycles and move forward quickly.
    2) Tech falls in price (usually). Look at RAM - 8GB is cheaper than what I bought 4GB for at the start of the year, close to what I bought 2GB for 6 months before that (RAM had gone up around then but it's not usually the case).
    3) Old tech goes up in price or reaches a floor, e.g., processors for old sockets. So you might find it hard to get a CPU for your now obsolete motherboard or vice versa.
    4) Your parts are useless separate. You can only read the manuals and look at the shiny boxes so many times.
    5) Warranty. What about when your items are all together and something isn't working?

What you can do is split up upgrades. Since you have a dell, it makes things harder as you can't just upgrade the the board and then the case.

You would have to do PSU first then case + board + RAM + CPU. You could upgrade graphics, and DVD drives later (maybe HDDs/SSDs too depending on how you are set up).

5-6 months is too long for many components. You could do it with some of the slower moving items if you see a great deal at the time. Cases do get huge chages apart from USB coming in. PSUs won't change much and I suppose you could avail of that A-data PSU on komplett as that's better than HWV prices, but you would have to start using it to make sure it doesn't need to be returned!

Bottom line: Better to save your money unless the bargains are damn good.

cheers.

i was looking in to idea of buying with finance. unfortunatly house situation taking longer then needed ( long story ).

i was thinking of getting good case+psu. then get Hdd and dvd drives etc.

then when i am ready and got bigger lump of money i can get a mobo+cpu+ram combo.

when i was buying dell, everyone were going mad about big psu's. 5 years later its prety much at same spot...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

Don't buy with finance if you have a reasonably acceptable PC now.

Save your money and then buy. It is better to earn interest on savings than to pay interest on finance.

cheers.

i was looking in to idea of buying with finance. unfortunatly house situation taking longer then needed ( long story ).

i was thinking of getting good case+psu. then get Hdd and dvd drives etc.

then when i am ready and got bigger lump of money i can get a mobo+cpu+ram combo.

when i was buying dell, everyone were going mad about big psu's. 5 years later its prety much at same spot...

I really think that it would be a bad idea to get financing for a PC. I don't know your circumstances, but if I was paying off a house then I wouldn't want to have any more creditors.

PSUs have actually come a long way. A few years ago, you needed to be careful that you had your PCI-E and 24 pin + 8pin EPS connectors etc. Now any good PSU will have these but a lot of invisible improvements such as efficiency and clean output have really come far.
    Another deceptive part is the hard drives. A lot of people come here saying that they'll reuse their old hard drives - sure they're 7200 RPM and there's enough space so what difference will it make?
    It has slowed down with SSDs but hard drives are a lot faster than they were a few years back. Definitely don't leave an SSD in a box.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Monotype wrote: »
    I really think that it would be a bad idea to get financing for a PC. I don't know your circumstances, but if I was paying off a house then I wouldn't want to have any more creditors.

PSUs have actually come a long way. A few years ago, you needed to be careful that you had your PCI-E and 24 pin + 8pin EPS connectors etc. Now any good PSU will have these but a lot of invisible improvements such as efficiency and clean output have really come far.
    Another deceptive part is the hard drives. A lot of people come here saying that they'll reuse their old hard drives - sure they're 7200 RPM and there's enough space so what difference will it make?
    It has slowed down with SSDs but hard drives are a lot faster than they were a few years back. Definitely don't leave an SSD in a box.

finance idea droped since last time, i just said that to explain you, that i did not had similar thread. ;)

we are talking not few years period, but few months to biuld. DVD drives are still same as when i bought my current pc, i doubt games will come on blue rays in near future. i dont need blue ray drive as i got ps3 and big telly for that. hdd still 7200RPM, but now you can have SSD for your OS at best. You think SSD will drop to reasonable price in 5 months? its still rare to see full SSD pc, i doubt it will be possible in 5 months time.

eh....i will have to wait i guess.
    i guess cases wont be so different too in 5 months time

• Advertisement

DVD drives are now SATA. Older ones are PATA and you don't see these connectors on recent boards.

SSDs have been coming down. I wouldn't buy one without using it.
    hdd still 7200RPM

What I was saying is that this is irrelevant. 5400 RPM drives are faster than 10000 RPM drives of a few years back.
    finance idea droped since last time, i just said that to explain you, that i did not had similar thread. ;)

Ah right, I think I have some vague recollection of that.
    i guess cases wont be so different too in 5 months time

If you got a good deal on a case then it would be worth getting as they hold their value longer. But as a result, they're also something that is not usually reduced because of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭deejer

Came across this thread and thought of yours. Might struggle with BF3 but I was impressed.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056389737

Advertisement