Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New applications how long is the wait now?

Options
  • 19-09-2011 3:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭

As i have traded in my old trusted 22 for bigger and hopefully better(223). I'm now wondering how long is the process going to take? As like before when some of us had to wait months for our licences, surely the long waits are a thing of the past. I'm hearing stories of lads getting there licences in less than 2 sometimes 1 week from handing it into there FAO. It's just ye know yourself when you see what you want you want it yesterday.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

lee70 wrote: »
    As i have traded in my old trusted 22 for bigger and hopefully better(223). I'm now wondering how long is the process going to take? As like before when some of us had to wait months for our licences, surely the long waits are a thing of the past. I'm hearing stories of lads getting there licences in less than 2 sometimes 1 week from handing it into there FAO. It's just ye know yourself when you see what you want you want it yesterday.

I was told 3 weeks and he'd be very suprised if any more and volunteered to eat his hat if its not :D thats for the 2 licences gone in the same day

• Registered Users Posts: 11,788 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

I don't think anybody on boards can tell you how long it will take. Some guys get a licence in a week or two and others have to wait almost the full three months.

There isn't any consistency in the time-frame that different Garda Districts work in.

I was told it would take about two weeks by my local FO but it took nearly three months.

Luck of the draw I'm afraid.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭Hibrion

Some people still have to wait a lot longer than the 3 months "maximum".

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭stick shooter

Around 3 weeks in our area ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭Hibrion

I wish it was like that here :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭thebull09

One of my mates applied for his first gun licence on the 2nd of September and was picking up his gun on the 9th of September,

That was in the mid west area and our FO is great he gets on top of applications rights away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 298 ✭✭mac80

Took me 10 weeks for my third gun :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭Alan 1990

Got my first license 2 weeks to the day that I dropped it in. Waiting on my second license now. Got the first letter in the post on the 31st of august and waiting for (hopefully) the grant letter now.

Got my grant letter in the post this morning so its paid and all should have it for tomorrow or Friday,so took a month from handing it in till I received the grant letter. Thats just my district though, you could get it sooner or unfortunately longer. Hope ye all get yours soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭lee70

Alan 1990 wrote: »
    Got my grant letter in the post this morning so its paid and all should have it for tomorrow or Friday,so took a month from handing it in till I received the grant letter. Thats just my district though, you could get it sooner or unfortunately longer. Hope ye all get yours soon.
    Well done happy days. Whats your location if you don't mind me asking and what firearms did you aply for.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭tommyboy26

It took me ten weeks for my third firearm. Mind you it is a pistol and i did alot of ringing to try speed up the process. He got a pain in his face of me ringing.

lee70 wrote: »
    Alan 1990 wrote: »
    Well done happy days. Whats your location if you don't mind me asking and what firearms did you aply for.

Thanks,Im in Wexford. Just a cz 452 .22lr. Nothing fancy but will do the job,it will be my first rifle. an over and under shotgun also but that was a while back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭rowa

What is the current "delivery" time once you've paid in the post office ?

rowa wrote: »
    What is the current "delivery" time once you've paid in the post office ?

Got my first license in the post 2 days after I paid in the post office. Hopefully its as quick this time.

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭lee70

some gun dealers will let you have your firearms with the grant letter and post office receipt mine did.

Advertisement