Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Kickboxing and Yoga for improving stretching?

• 19-09-2011 3:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭

Well I used to be quite nifty at the old kicking. But stopped training for about 5 years. I'm slowly getting back into Kickboxing but I'm finding it tough especially with stretching. General fitness is fine. I'm winning fights at the club using mainly my hands as my kicks are too slow lol.

Has anyone ever tried yoga and if it helps in improving stretching or indeed any part of kicking at all?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 673 ✭✭✭pearsquasher

Around '05 I did yoga for 6 months as there was a lady teaching it before the bujinkan class in the sports hall we trained at - so I used it as a warm-up.

I found it an excelent compliment to my MA training and still use some of the postures for my own home-stretching. I'd do a yoga class again in a flash if I had time and recommend it to all my students.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭raglinroad

Excellent. Also have some dodgy hips and a bad back. Really hope this helps out a lot.

I'll be doing the class from 6-7 and then my own training from 7.30 to 9.30. So I'll try not to cool down too much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭p to the e

all i'll say is to pace your stretching. i was in soething of the same predicament coming back after a about a year off and began by training four times a week. I initially ignored the niggle in my groin and now I have to take about six months off as i tore a muscle around my hip. I also did yoga in college for a year and i was still doing it regulalrly at home (until the injury) and it really helps with general flexibility. Just remember that yoga is all about the breathing otherwise you're just stretching. Give Ashtanga yoga a try and you'll come out sweating buckets.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭raglinroad

Actually went last night, to a different one. Can't believe how much I was sweating doing it. The breathing thing is something to get used to when stretching. Although I was aware of breathing out during downward motion when stretching improves it.

Overall I've got a weak core and slight bad back. And I think my flexibility could be improved a lot.

I can already see the benefits of the yoga. Although next time I'll bring a towel.

Advertisement