Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

00 Nissan Micra Fan belt

• 19-09-2011 3:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

:eek: Can anyone tell me how much it should cost to have a fan belt replaced in a 2000 nissan micra. I'm based in Dublin.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,342 ✭✭✭alias no.9

An 00 Micra has an electric fan and a timing chain, so I'm guessing we're talking an alternator/auxillary belt. In which case, between €10 and €20 for the belt and no more than an hours labour.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 howea

alias no.9 wrote: »
    An 00 Micra has an electric fan and a timing chain, so I'm guessing we're talking an alternator/auxillary belt. In which case, between €10 and €20 for the belt and no more than an hours labour.
    So if I said I was quoted €130 to change the fan belt would you think that a wee bit steep?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,223 ✭✭✭Nissan doctor

There are two belts, an alternator/ac belt and a power steering belt.

About 60 euro should have both changed.

howea wrote: »
    So if I said I was quoted €130 to change the fan belt would you think that a wee bit steep?

Yes...extremely:eek:

Yes...extremely:eek:
    Also, I was completely unaware that there was a problem. Would you know if these belts needed to be replaced?

• Advertisement

Also, I was completely unaware that there was a problem. Would you know if these belts needed to be replaced?

I would if I was looking at them.

Whats the situation? Is it in for a service and they are saying they need to be replaaced or something?

I would if I was looking at them.

Whats the situation? Is it in for a service and they are saying they need to be replaaced or something?
    That's exactly the situation. I had a voucher for a mini car service and they said that the fan belt needed replacing. There was also two bulbs at €14 each. I said that I could deal with the bulbs myself, but I'm concerned about the fan belt, as if it really needs to be done, I don't want to neglect it. If on the other hand they are simply trying to drum up business, it's a bit over the top. Anyway, I don't know any mechanics so I am here on Boards looking for advice.

That's exactly the situation. I had a voucher for a mini car service and they said that the fan belt needed replacing. There was also two bulbs at €14 each. I said that I could deal with the bulbs myself, but I'm concerned about the fan belt, as if it really needs to be done, I don't want to neglect it. If on the other hand they are simply trying to drum up business, it's a bit over the top. Anyway, I don't know any mechanics so I am here on Boards looking for advice.
    I think what I should have said was should I have been aware that the fan belt needed replacing. The car is driving fine. It's not making any strange noises. The only thing that I have noticed is that it does lose power a little on the hills, but nothing major, and after all it's an 11 year old car, and it's a micra, so to be fair you can only expect so much.

Not always, the most common reason for auxiliary belts needing to be changed is that the rubber starts to perish and crack. This may have been noted by the garage as if they were trying to con you, there are much simpler things to pick like brakes etc.
    The price is still way over the top though IMO

Thanks for your help Nissan Doctor. I'll bring to someone to have a look.

• Advertisement
Advertisement