Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

MacBook Pro wifi problems

• 19-09-2011 4:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

My MacBook Pro has been kicking up over the last few days. Ive a UPC wireless router at home and an o2 wifi hotshot as backup.

My wife's Dell laptop has connected fine to the UPC and is working away nicely. The mac was doing the same up to a week ago. I havent changed anything since on the router.

Now, every so often, pages refuse to load and the connection to the UPC router seems to be inactive. The little exclamation mark covers the connection meter at the top. If I force the mac to refresh the available networks, and then get it to connect to the UPC, I get a connection request timed out message. As if by magic, a few mins/hours later.. its working again.

Meanwhile, the Dell laptop is working away fine, as is my iPhone.

Im working on the o2 wifi Hotshot now as a backup but the speeds arent great.

Has anyone any clue whats happening here? Im on OS X 10.7.1.

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 624 ✭✭✭NeitherJohn

Not too familiar with how to get to the relevant menus on a Mac but here goes.

Is the Mac being assigned an IP address? If not, is the Mac set to obtain an address automatically?

My girlfriends laptop randomly loses these settings. It's fairly odd.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 870 ✭✭✭Jagle

newish macbook pro?

known issue, apple have acknowledged and are, i hope working on a fix

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

Not too familiar with how to get to the relevant menus on a Mac but here goes.

Is the Mac being assigned an IP address? If not, is the Mac set to obtain an address automatically?

My girlfriends laptop randomly loses these settings. It's fairly odd.

Yeah DHCP is the standard on my setup (Mac and router).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,330 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Jagle wrote: »
    newish macbook pro?

known issue, apple have acknowledged and are, i hope working on a fix

They have in their arse, i've just been on the phone to them, shocking bad support. See here http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056393528

They have in their arse, i've just been on the phone to them, shocking bad support. See here http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056393528

ya again.
    the person you ring wont say anything, go to the apple, or mac forums on other mac sites, its an problem with the laptop

nothing you can do to fix it

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

Jagle wrote: »
    ya again.
    the person you ring wont say anything, go to the apple, or mac forums on other mac sites, its an problem with the laptop

nothing you can do to fix it

Its about 5 months old.. Didnt realise it was a known issue.

Trotter wrote: »
    Its about 5 months old.. Didnt realise it was a known issue.

ya cos the new ones came out in feb 2011.

it is a known issue, look at the apple support forums

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 493 ✭✭nicknackgtb

I had the same problem with my pro, except mine is from 2007 roughly.

It kept happening and I was getting pissed off with it, just stuck with it and eventually it fixed itself, not sure how or why but it did!!

UPC router being used also.

Funny thing was that when I went to another house with wifi, and already had the network set up as one of my favourites, it didnt do it, and they had UPC also|!

tis funny

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Leinstersqspur

Bumping this thread... Any fixes yet?

The girlfriend has an MBP and the wifi connection is intermittent.. UPC too..
    A friend mentioned buying the apple airport router but could this be a case of needing to upgrade my existing router? We have the old white netgear router?

SOS!

Advertisement