Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best ghost/back up for windows server 2003

Options
  • 19-09-2011 4:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭

What is the best ghost/back up software for windows server 2003? I want to be able to make a complete clone of the hard drive encase of emergency.
    I am looking for something that is reliable but affordable and fairly user friendly.

Someone recommended northon ghost or Acronis?

If you guys could recommend some other options - I would be really grateful.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

Big Q is you do for OS and/or for data !?

I reckon that it depends by the hardware boot controller,if is IDE,SATA or RAID !
    Some of the software is limited to only some types of controllers for restoring the barebone snapshot !

I used Symantec Ghost and Symantec BackupExec System Recovery.

The best action,in my opinion AND depending by the environment, is to get two servers in AD as GC,install all AD dependent services on both,run backup replication in realtime for live data (there is for Exchange/SQL as well ,but is not cost effective for Small Business-es) and finger crossed that you'll never need it !!

IF you do a snapshot / clone on 1st of september and server crashes after 30 days you may be in problems due to AD replication and passwords policies.
    Doing cloning snapshots works but they have to be done at a regular time interval !!

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭scottie pippen

rolion wrote: »
    Big Q is you do for OS and/or for data !?

I reckon that it depends by the hardware boot controller,if is IDE,SATA or RAID !
    Some of the software is limited to only some types of controllers for restoring the barebone snapshot !

I used Symantec Ghost and Symantec BackupExec System Recovery.

The best action,in my opinion AND depending by the environment, is to get two servers in AD as GC,install all AD dependent services on both,run backup replication in realtime for live data (there is for Exchange/SQL as well ,but is not cost effective for Small Business-es) and finger crossed that you'll never need it !!

IF you do a snapshot / clone on 1st of september and server crashes after 30 days you may be in problems due to AD replication and passwords policies.
    Doing cloning snapshots works but they have to be done at a regular time interval !!

I’m not sure if its raid or ide/sata, didn’t think these would be a factor, so thanks for bringing that to my attention, I’ll find out the specs.

I want to back up the os and the date, so want to get something that covers everything if possible.

Passwords changing won’t be an issue

Thanks for the advice

• Registered Users Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭tech

one word

A C R O N I S is the only software you need.

tech wrote: »
    one word

A C R O N I S is the only software you need.

Thanks...
    W H Y ?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

If it's just a disk image then I'd go for acronis.

• Advertisement

OK,

Let's analyse what do we want (wish)from a cloning software,for a server:

1.to run live snapshots !?
    2.to create a base image and then incremental for daily,weekly OR full everytime runs ?
    3.to send / create reports and emails after each run (unattended) ?
    4.to support Server,ADs,DCs,SBS,Exchange,SQLs ?
    5.to cover standard hardware (sorry here,i meant DELL,IBM,HP on Intel or AMD platforms)
    6.to be able to work ,backup/restore, on various boot controllers & non-identical hardware ?
    7.to be able to work on dynamic disks in various RAID configurations
    8.to restore a barebone server from metal to up&running ?
    9.to hot restore a server ,while running, to a previous snapshot ?
    10.to be easy on resources and work on idle CPU and RAM and disk I/Os !!!
    11.encrypt the image created for offsite storage ?

I'm i being too fussy here !??

• Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭longshotvalue

Bet way to protect multiple servers

1 Get vmware Essentials
    2 Small server with plenty of ram and Disk Space (Ml110 g7)
    3 Us Acronis or Symantec System Recovery to NAS
    4 Scheduled convert from NAS to Virtual Machine.

Easy relativly cheap and fast recovery. (i.e turn on the VM)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,564 ✭✭✭swampgas

aidankkk wrote: »
    Bet way to protect multiple servers

1 Get vmware Essentials
    2 Small server with plenty of ram and Disk Space (Ml110 g7)
    3 Us Acronis or Symantec System Recovery to NAS
    4 Scheduled convert from NAS to Virtual Machine.

Easy relativly cheap and fast recovery. (i.e turn on the VM)

It's been a while since I had to manage a small business server environment, but if I ever have to do it again it's going to be VMs all the way.

Being able to restore a backed up VM to different hardware for recovery or - even better - being able to test your backed up VM - is priceless.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,761 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Don't forget Ntbackup can backup a live server.

backup C: and system state

then you can do a clean install on another box or VM (to same service pack / patch level) and then restore

How to move a Windows installation to different hardware
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/249694

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭wil

MS DPM anyone?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Rjoleeny

If you wanna find an affordable one to ghost/back up your Windows Server 2003, Acronis or symantec definitely would not be a good choice. Go to their websites and check the price and you would find these two will cost you a great deal.

Affordable backup programs are great many on the market. Choosing the right is kind of challenge. You'd better pay attention to:

What kind of functions you need and what can this program give it to you?

Test it before buy it. This is very important step to know whether it can satisfy your need

Go to its forum and listen to what their customers say.

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭scottie pippen

Thanks for all the reply’s.

Gave Northon a trail, didn’t seem to work so well, it slowed the system down a lot, & failed to back up a few times

Highlighted in red is what would be important.
    And Honestly I’m not really au fait with backing up servers, but this has delegated to me to sort out.
    So I’m looking for something that backs everything onto an external hard drive, and can be set to make a snap shot weekly. If the server ever went down, we would like to restore to the nearest point

rolion wrote: »
    OK,

Let's analyse what do we want (wish)from a cloning software,for a server:

1.to run live snapshots !?
    2.to create a base image and then incremental for daily,weekly OR full everytime runs ?
    3.to send / create reports and emails after each run (unattended) ?
    4.to support Server,ADs,DCs,SBS,Exchange,SQLs ?
    5.to cover standard hardware (sorry here,i meant DELL,IBM,HP on Intel or AMD platforms)
    6.to be able to work ,backup/restore, on various boot controllers & non-identical hardware ?
    7.to be able to work on dynamic disks in various RAID configurations
    8.to restore a barebone server from metal to up&running ?
    9.to hot restore a server ,while running, to a previous snapshot ?
    10.to be easy on resources and work on idle CPU and RAM and disk I/Os !!!
    11.encrypt the image created for offsite storage ?

I'm i being too fussy here !??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

I've heard some good things about this.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Miley2

I have looked at Acronis with True Image restore. It works out at over $1300. Am I right in thinking that this licence is only capable of backing up one server.
    I have a test server set up on a DL380 evaluating some software. I now need to put this server live for a different business need but want to take an image of the server now because we will return to this project. Just trying to see what my options are. Its got two disks confiured as RAID 1.

Cheers for any advice

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭tim9002

The UltraBac Ultimate Bundle includes file, image and locked file backup for one server and ten workstations. It supports bare metal restores to alternative hardware or to a virtual environment. €675.00 ex VAT and includes support and maintenance for the first year.

Advertisement