Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Employer starting a back week after starting employment

Options
  • 19-09-2011 4:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hi. I am a regular user but am staying anon for this one.

I've been working for my current employer for a good length of time, and this morning all employees received an email stating that the company will now be starting a "week in hand" commencing in a couple of weeks. We were informed that on a certain pay date we would only be paid any commission due that week (sales job) and wages will then be paid the next week. So in essence we are being left a week without a wage. They state that this is due to a new commission structure about to be implemented.

Commission is usually paid a week later than the actual salary for that particular week. I.E. in the 2nd week in a given month you would get salary for the 1st week of that month, & commission for the last week of the previous month, and what it seems like they're trying to do is harmonize the 2.

Is this ok? Can they do this? It is going to cause hardship for not only myself but a number of other employees that I have spoken too. My rent is due the week we are not paid, & while normally I could have made the next few weeks stretch to make my rent, this month has had a few unexpected expenses so I was relying on my pay to make my rent, ESB etc.

Any advice appreciated. I have tried NERA but their website doesn't have any info on this particular situation, & from past experience I wouldn't expect a straight answer if I sent them a query.

Thanks,

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,950 ✭✭✭Milk & Honey

It is ridiculous. A complaint to a Rights Commissioner would probably produce an order to pay up but it would take months.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

OP, are you sure you didnt work a week in hand when you started?

Surely you didnt start work on a Monday and get paid for 5 days work on the Friday or that week?

This did happen to me once when my job was changed to salaried so I got weekly then 3 weeks with no pay then a months pay so it wasnt too bad.

I would def get advice as posted above before yo agree to this.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Our normal pay day is tuesday, paying us up to the week ending the sunday before.

I started on a monday, and got paid a full weeks wages the next tuesday, so in essence I did work a back week at the start. My contract only states my salary and nothing about when/how its paid etc. A friend of mine is a solicitor so I've mailed for advice and am waiting on a reply

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

I started on a monday, and got paid a full weeks wages the next tuesday, so in essence I did work a back week at the start.
    Erm, no. This is getting paid for your work. A back week is getting paid for a week on the 2nd week, with the 1st week being the back week that you get when you leave the job.

It sounds like they don't want to pay the employees for a week. Is the company having any cash-flow related problems?

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

the_syco wrote: »
    Erm, no. This is getting paid for your work. A back week is getting paid for a week on the 2nd week, with the 1st week being the back week that you get when you leave the job.

It sounds like they don't want to pay the employees for a week. Is the company having any cash-flow related problems?

Yeah I had this clarified and we didn't work a back week. Still though it's a bit rich asking staff to work one during employment.

Cash flow isn't an issue. Not when the company is placing big orders for stock in the run up to christmas, getting new software in etc. We have been offered subs if we need them, but this just isn't good enough, and the owners have stated they are not for turning on this issue. The official line is that this is to harmonize commission & wage weeks, and to cut down on paperwork etc. for back office staff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,330 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

I think it is reasonable for a company to expect some flexibility from there staff especially when introducing a fairly standard pay practise.
    If they have given you some notice to get your affairs in order I would have no problem with this.
    This restructuring is most likely saving the company money ,which long term is what will keep them competitive and you in gainful employment.

Advertisement