Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What to expect at the ploughing?

• 19-09-2011 4:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

I was just looking for some info on the ploughing championships this year in Kildare. What should i expect? Its my first time btw. I heard that there is people tring to sell you fireworks, drunks and young lads looking for fights. I know those are all negative aspects but i hope you could tell me some positives aswell. Thanks :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

Don't worry, it's a great day out. I've been there maybe 6 times and I've never seen drunks looking for fights. It's a very well run event with plenty of security, Garda etc.
    The only downside can be traffic, mud when it rains, and bad toilets.......so make a pit-stop before you arrive, bring the wellies, raingear and plan your journey in advance.
    If you have a good ordinance survey map, there's plenty of sideroads you can take to avoid the traffic.;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭JohnBoy

To be fair I thought the traffic was very well managed last year, coming from the cork side we never dropped below 30mph until we could see the carpark.

Dont try and be there first thing in the morning, aim to arrive around 10am and the traffic should be a lot calmer.

Probably wont be there till 11 myself.

I'm starting to get giddy now myself, the big question though, as always, wellies or boots.

boots are infinitely comfier, but without the obvious weatherproofing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭sh1tstirrer

I have been to the ploughing championships many times and have never seen drunks or young fellas looking for fights. You will see scam artists selling mops, perfume and other sh1t in bulk, I can't figure out how they manage to fool people every year. Don't say I didn't warn you if you see a man demonstrating his product to a large crowd stay well away. People trying to sell you tickets for draws taking place next year, haven't seen these in the last 2 years though hopefully they were banned.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,078 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

pakalasa wrote: »
    The only downside can be traffic, mud when it rains, and bad toilets.......so make a pit-stop before you arrive, ;)

my top tip for the ploughing is if you have to answer the call of nature then go to the portaloos beside the actual ploughing compitition. since nobody actually watches the the ploughing they are usually spotless!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

my top tip for the ploughing is if you have to answer the call of nature then go to the portaloos beside the actual ploughing compitition. since nobody actually watches the the ploughing they are usually spotless!

Bring tissues/bogroll!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

I heard that there is people tring to sell you fireworks, drunks and young lads

Some crack on the way home in the car if you buy all three:D

To be serious though, I've been at many championships and never seen any messing!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

we where supposed to be going on wednesday, seems like my husband cant get the day off:mad: had childmender and milker orgainised:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭JohnBoy

go yourself :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭Tora Bora

whelan1 wrote: »
    we where supposed to be going on wednesday, seems like my husband cant get the day off:mad: had childmender and milker orgainised:rolleyes:

You are a terrible mother to be going off to the ploughing, and leaving a broken child at home, with the childmender.:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 176 ✭✭agcons

Call in to us at stand 367, row L won't be much tea but lots of sympathy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14 Chalk It Down!

agcons wrote: »

Kirwan Agri. Consultants ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 176 ✭✭agcons

Kirwan Agri. Consultants ;)
    I hope that wink wasn't meant for me!!!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

agcons wrote: »

Hey Sinead if thats you congrats on the new ring!! Ain't talkin about a ring tone either.....

:cool:
    blue

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

woo hoo cinderella will go to the ball... i am going tomorrow:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

Going tomorrow too.
    Please god let it be a day for boots and not damn wellies. I must be the only farmer that hates wearing wellies.

I heard Wexford next year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭stanflt

bbam wrote: »
    Going tomorrow too.
    Please god let it be a day for boots and not damn wellies. I must be the only farmer that hates wearing wellies.

I heard Wexford next year.

its heading to co louth. ardee imo

stanflt wrote: »
    said in the ploughing bit of the journal last week wexford, maybe they are lying

those of ye that went today, how was the traffic, was it wellie weather or would runners be ok?

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056394426

Lads we've hit the front page on after hours.....

Anything we must see, from ppl who were there today. I'll be going Thursday hopefully.

blue5000 wrote: »
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056394426

Lads we've hit the front page on after hours.....

Anyone want a laugh...........Check out post No. 21 or 22 with the link on it, in the above mentioned thread.
    Or indeed if anyone knows how to post the link here in this thread, please do it.

• Advertisement

Bizzum wrote: »
    Anyone want a laugh...........Check out post No. 21 or 22 with the link on it, in the above mentioned thread.
    Or indeed if anyone knows how to post the link here in this thread, please do it.
    http://bitey.com/2002/10/nightshift/

blue5000 wrote: »

Fair play to ya Blue.
    I nearly choked on my tea last night looking at that!!!!!!!!!:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 663 ✭✭✭John_F

well what was the verdict was it worth the trip? any thing to make sure to see? and of course boots or wellies tomorrow? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭stanflt

those of ye that went today, how was the traffic, was it wellie weather or would runners be ok?

went this morning-was there for 9.15-
    took about 1.45hours to get there
    no real traffic proplems
    left at 3 and was home milking for 5

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭THE LINK WALSH

stanflt wrote: »

No it isnt,its definitely in Wexford in 2012,a few miles outside New Ross,Heath Park,Newbawn is the exact address,its near Ballinaboola.

Its provisionally fixed for Ardee Co Louth for 2013 but that hasnt been confirmed yet,Wexford is a definite for 2012.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 258 ✭✭charityboy

wexford next year close to new ross , was there today best one to date and i only missed one in the last twenty years ideal conditions traffic heavy but with over 70000 people its going to be a little slow .fair play to the people than are running the event top job highly recommend a visit

and the big question again DO YOU NEED WELLIES?

No but you could take them with you and decide what to Wear when you get there. A pair of hiking boots are your best bet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,233 ✭✭✭leex

Was there yesterday - wellies not needed but if it gets rain today that may change. Great venue and traffic wasn't too bad.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

Was there yesterday and the answer is yes. There is rain forecast and the ground was a bit sticky but dry. A small sup of rain and it will turn to soup fairly quickly i'd say. Or bring boots and two plastic bags and two bits of twine. You might even get the most appropriately dressed lady award;)

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭supersparkz

Any one else not too impressed with yesterdays show. I didn't see any tractor pulling or anything like that. I remember there being loads of stuff like that when I was there before. Or did I just go on the wrong day?

I taught 20 was a bit saucy to get in also.

Any one else not too impressed with yesterdays show. I didn't see any tractor pulling or anything like that. I remember there being loads of stuff like that when I was there before. Or did I just go on the wrong day?

I taught 20 was a bit saucy to get in also.
    traffic was fine though, taught I should mention.

johngalway wrote: »

Bring tissues/bogroll!
    Do some people take laxatives the night before they go? Judging by the state of the toilets yesterday evening they must. I cannot understand why they can't leave their sh1te at home. I saw one man yesterday morning that nearly tore down the door of one portaloo to get in even though there was someone in there. Now he must have been under pressure, i wouldn't like to be the person using the toilet after him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 609 ✭✭✭flatout11

Do some people take laxatives the night before they go? Judging by the state of the toilets yesterday evening they must. I cannot understand why they can't leave their sh1te at home. I saw one man yesterday morning that nearly tore down the door of one portaloo to get in even though there was someone in there. Now he must have been under pressure, i wouldn't like to be the person using the toilet after him.

sounds like he needs a good dose of ivormec and put him on slats for a few days

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 544 ✭✭✭NewBeefFarmer

Whats the best route from mayo/roscom. . Was going to shoot up to kilcock and down to nass, would athlone tullamore be heavy with traffic, terrible roads to. Going tomor

• Advertisement

Whats the best route from mayo/roscom. . Was going to shoot up to kilcock and down to nass, would athlone tullamore be heavy with traffic, terrible roads to. Going tomor
    We went athlone/tullamore yesterday it was fine bar some delays in mountmellick and getting into car park. Quite well managed, guards at most crossroads kept traffic flowing.

We went athlone/tullamore yesterday it was fine bar some delays in mountmellick and getting into car park. Quite well managed, guards at most crossroads kept traffic flowing.
    How long would it take from athlone?

I cannot understand why they can't leave their sh1te at home.

Typical Cavan man, nothing goes to waste:D:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,233 ✭✭✭leex

Travelled from Nth Galway yesterday - went via Portumna, Birr, Roscrea, travel towards Thurles for a few mins till you hit Motorway then continue East on Motorway to Exit 16 east of Portlaoise and follow signs for ploughing (Brown Route). Took us 2hr 15mins to get off Motorway (at 9.05 approx) and about 1hr more in slow but moving traffic till we parked car.

Coming home (left carpark at 5.30) there was no delay and it took about 20mins to get to motorway and about 2 to 2 1/4 hrs to get home.

Im leaving home at 6. Id prefer to be early and leave early. . .

• Advertisement

How long would it take from athlone?

about an hour and a half hour and 3/4 if memory serves

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

Did you go in and stir it up after?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

What's the deal with all the young girls wearing short shorts? It's pissing rain and fairly cold here. They must be bloody freezing. Saw several of them covered in muck too. Is there women's mud wrestling????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 759 ✭✭✭DaNiEl1994

just home now left west clare early quarter past 6 arrived in the car park at 9, left at half 1 no wellies needed today but i wore mine anyways, traffic was alright aswell

• Closed Accounts Posts: 733 ✭✭✭jeff greene

reilig wrote: »
    What's the deal with all the young girls wearing short shorts? It's pissing rain and fairly cold here. They must be bloody freezing. Saw several of them covered in muck too. Is there women's mud wrestling????

me%20gusta%20mucho%20creepy.png

I'm going tomorrow, I'll investigatecool.gif

reilig wrote: »
    unreal we where laughing at them , wtf!

lucky for ye that can stand up to go, jesus i nearly got sick , then discovered there are other toilets that are in a portacabin that are lovely and clean and have bog roll

lucky for ye that can stand up to go, jesus i nearly got sick , then discovered there are other toilets that are in a portacabin that are lovely and clean and have bog roll
    Stand up to make a number 2 :eek::eek::eek:

how much was the programme? i walked the same row about 5 times today, after paying €20 in would it be too much to ask to get a page with a map on it, found it very hard to understan the maps that where dotted around the place. Asked a few of the stewards directions and they wheren't great. Say there will be some muck in the parking areas tomorrow

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

how much was the programme?

€5.. Tore out the back page the map was on...
    The daily schedule was handy too... rest is the same as last years:rolleyes:

Weren't enough maps round on the grounds...

• Advertisement
Advertisement