Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What to expect at the ploughing?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭bennyc

DaNiEl1994 wrote: »
    just home now left west clare early quarter past 6 arrived in the car park at 9, left at half 1 no wellies needed today but i wore mine anyways, traffic was alright aswell

if you stayed another half hour you would have needed them. Anyone going tomorrow should take wellies place got messy late afternoon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 759 ✭✭✭DaNiEl1994

bennyc wrote: »
    if you stayed another half hour you would have needed them. Anyone going tomorrow should take wellies place got messy late afternoon.

second i closed the door and got out of the field it LASHED down for a good half hour id say

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

thought the dept of ag tent was well done .... see massey ferguson and class where giving 0% finance, wonder what down payment would you have to make?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭lakill Farm

Short Skirts :) . All i saw were the fake tans and kind of hot pants.

I went throught mountmellick and no delays all the way to the parking at 8.45am. Left at 6.00 an straight home via McDonalds in Tullamore.

Went to try and source a new 1600G LGP tank and a 8ft Topper and nobody wanted to deal. Herself was delighted.

And feck the homemake ice cream was yum :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭sh1tstirrer

Did any of ye meet yourman that owns JFC? He was on secret millionaire the other night and they showed a clip of him on the late late in 97. Gay Byrne called him a gom back then, easy to see who the gom is now.

was well impressed with the guys putting the ferguson 20 together in under 10 minutes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

whelan1 wrote: »
    was well impressed with the guys putting the ferguson 20 together in under 10 minutes

I've seen them at a couple of shows over the last few years. They have a bit of Jib to them!!!

There was agreat forestry section there this year - was looking at the wood processors myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 544 ✭✭✭NewBeefFarmer

was home at 7.30.

left at 6 this morning, was in green carpark for after 8.45 .. .
    had a nice breaky roll in bord bia tent. .

the wife and sis in-law was with me. .

1st thing that i am totally p'd about is u hand them a 20 and u get a sticker back. .. wheres the bloody map???. . . its acres and acres . . . .

what a bunch of tossers. . . . they dump hivis upon hivis on kids, and cant produce an A4 page with the predistrian walkways. .

apart from the map, everything was A1, parking, getting in and out. .

but god, its the simple things that counts. . . . God a map. . .come on man. ..

wouldnt mind, but we had the last weeks journal at home, . ..

oh and a program. . .? . . . what. . was that like hardback?. . .book more like. . .

tired. . up since 5.10am. .Grrrrrr

Bloody map . tuut:rolleyes:

if i went back for a second day, does the same pass do again, or is it another 20,. . . id like 2 days to have a proper look around

yup i made the same point yesterday after i passed that bloody skoda jeep stand for the fifth time ..... a simple map after paying €20 , its not much to ask

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭hiscan

One ticket per day as they use different colours each day.
    I have to agree with you about the map,I must have walked each lane 5 times today :rolleyes:
    It wasn't until I went into the Farmers Journal tent,that I realised there was an iPhone App.
    I downloaded it and it gave me all the info I needed,good job or I'd still be there :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭dar31

was home at 7.30.

left at 6 this morning, was in green carpark for after 8.45 .. .
    had a nice breaky roll in bord bia tent. .

the wife and sis in-law was with me. .

1st thing that i am totally p'd about is u hand them a 20 and u get a sticker back. .. wheres the bloody map???. . . its acres and acres . . . .

what a bunch of tossers. . . . they dump hivis upon hivis on kids, and cant produce an A4 page with the predistrian walkways. .

apart from the map, everything was A1, parking, getting in and out. .

but god, its the simple things that counts. . . . God a map. . .come on man. ..

wouldnt mind, but we had the last weeks journal at home, . ..

oh and a program. . .? . . . what. . was that like hardback?. . .book more like. . .

tired. . up since 5.10am. .Grrrrrr

Bloody map . tuut:rolleyes:

if i went back for a second day, does the same pass do again, or is it another 20,. . . id like 2 days to have a proper look around

head straight for the ploughing HQ when you get in the gate, and pick up a FREE map, bit late now but remember for next year

€20 admission is a bit steep, do they not know the country is in the depths of a recession:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭vanderbadger

great location, pity it doesnt just remain at this site, cant see myself heading from Clare to wexford next year.

really? maps in the Official Tent, which from my entry point would have been at the other end. . . . . .

so, 20eur a day. . . nothing like 10 a DAY, 20 for 2 day pass. . ..

i cant under stand how they dont price it better. . .i mean i really would have like to spend more time looking at ploughing, vintage machinery. . but with 1 day only to do it all, its walk walk walk. . . and before ya know it tis 5 o clock. . . .
    id never pay 40 and go 2 days. ..

the ladies where saying. . . "all this. . putting up all this. . for 3 days. . . and having no 2-3 day passes. . . . sher how could anyone have a nice 1 full day, they should run it for 5 days and over a weekend".. . .

i told them, if they run it on a saturday or sunday, they can go them days. . . bad enough during the week with pushchairs and kids. .

great location, pity it doesnt just remain at this site, cant see myself heading from Clare to wexford next year.

i think ill make it down the wed night, go on the thur night. . and home the friday. .

have food and drinks a plenty on the thur night..

3 days of me working holidays though!!! ,hmmmmmmmmm

hmm, ill come back to ya.!. .

• Advertisement

€20 admission is a bit steep, do they not know the country is in the depths of a recession:rolleyes:

ya, but sometimes i think. ..

where else have you paid in to an event that would have cost you €20/7hrs = €2.85 for each hour your there. . .

whats an all-Ireland ticket. .? show in the O2?. . .

still a bit steep, €15 sounds more reasonable

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭13spanner

I went on the Wednesday. Was grand. Only got 2 bad showers during the day. Couldn't get over the amount of young girls going around in shorts. I was togged out in the jacket, wooly hat, oilers, wellies, the lot! Did they forget to tell them exactly where they were going? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 950 ✭✭✭Dupont

7 mins and 2 secs when we were there. they must me getting paid by the tractor:D

13spanner wrote: »
    I went on the Wednesday. Was grand. Only got 2 bad showers during the day. Couldn't get over the amount of young girls going around in shorts. I was togged out in the jacket, wooly hat, oilers, wellies, the lot! Did they forget to tell them exactly where they were going? :rolleyes:
    must be a sign that we are getting old:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

must be a sign that we are getting old:)

Sensible, I think the word is :(

Wouldn't mind only I had planned to go down but had to change plans with work. I took the three days in Balmoral as holidays but if it wasn't so busy here I'd have gone down to the ploughing. Love the atmosphere!:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭sh1tstirrer

Jayus what were you expecting? hurricane Lee to resurrect again :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭Mr.Success

Was walkin down by one of the main laneways today and a little knacker gippo bastard about 9 or 10 and half my size gets in my way, Whispers: wu ya be lukkin for sum foierworks boss? i turned me back on him nd never seen him again.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 sparkey1

yeah new ross here we come

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Ya have to agree, my student card saved me a fiver
    really? maps in the Official Tent, which from my entry point would have been at the other end. . . . . .

so, 20eur a day. . . nothing like 10 a DAY, 20 for 2 day pass. . ..

i cant under stand how they dont price it better. . .i mean i really would have like to spend more time looking at ploughing, vintage machinery. . but with 1 day only to do it all, its walk walk walk. . . and before ya know it tis 5 o clock. . . .
    id never pay 40 and go 2 days. ..

the ladies where saying. . . "all this. . putting up all this. . for 3 days. . . and having no 2-3 day passes. . . . sher how could anyone have a nice 1 full day, they should run it for 5 days and over a weekend".. . .

i told them, if they run it on a saturday or sunday, they can go them days. . . bad enough during the week with pushchairs and kids. .

How about we have a boards.ie stand next year and we all get exhibitor passes, car park stickers and in on the monday for a quick snoop when it's not packed. And all of ye complaining about maps, just tear out the middle page of the comic supplement:)

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 sparkey1

I went on the Wednesday. Was grand. Only got 2 bad showers during the day. Couldn't get over the amount of young girls going around in shorts. I was togged out in the jacket, wooly hat, oilers, wellies, the lot! Did they forget to tell them exactly where they were going? :rolleyes:[/QUO

what is wrong with young girls in shorts ???????

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭F.D

I went yesterday and felt it was a bit of a waste of time was there at nine and on the road at 3, fed up walking up through the rows of rubbish not remotly related to anything with agriculture, was that fed up i didnt even get to look at any livestock
    (note to the NPA) put all the Machinery and livestock in one area, and all the non agri stalls clothing,hurls, jesus worshipers away from it
    Maybe i'm just getting old but i wont be going next year,
    in fact i think with all the stands that are rubbish you loose that much time you never get a chance to see any ploughing at all which is sort of taking away from the whole reason the event is organised !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭JohnBoy

ya, but sometimes i think. ..

where else have you paid in to an event that would have cost you €20/7hrs = €2.85 for each hour your there. . .

whats an all-Ireland ticket. .? show in the O2?. . .

still a bit steep, €15 sounds more reasonable

Yeah but the ploughing is one big trade fair, you're there to be sold to, but still have to pay handsomely for the privilege.

Dont think I'll go next year the location looks terrible. how will anyone from the southwestern corner of the country get there? through new ross? that's a disaster area on a good day, never mind on a ploughing day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭JohnBoy

To clarify my rant, take out a map and look how many bridges there are across the barrow, nothing against the people of balinaboola, I'm quite fond of the horse and hound :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

F.D wrote: »
    I went yesterday and felt it was a bit of a waste of time was there at nine and on the road at 3, fed up walking up through the rows of rubbish not remotly related to anything with agriculture, was that fed up i didnt even get to look at any livestock
    (note to the NPA) put all the Machinery and livestock in one area, and all the non agri stalls clothing,hurls, jesus worshipers away from it
    in fact i think with all the stands that are rubbish you loose that much time you never get a chance to see any ploughing at all which is sort of taking away from the whole reason the event is organised !
    Kinda somes up my feeling on it too. Was 50:50 on whether I'd go or not, but went yesterday. The location is ideal though. Drove straight in and out without ever stopping.
    I though the simmental society had a great line up of cattle. Lots of the usual rubbish stands of course.

sparkey1 wrote: »
    I went on the Wednesday. Was grand. Only got 2 bad showers during the day. Couldn't get over the amount of young girls going around in shorts. I was togged out in the jacket, wooly hat, oilers, wellies, the lot! Did they forget to tell them exactly where they were going? :rolleyes:[/QUO

what is wrong with young girls in shorts ???????

It was bloody cold! Their legs looked raw from the cold.

• Advertisement

blue5000 wrote: »

How about we have a boards.ie stand next year and we all get exhibitor passes, car park stickers and in on the monday for a quick snoop when it's not packed. And all of ye complaining about maps, just tear out the middle page of the comic supplement:)

Our Company had a very small corner table in a Marquee and it cost €2000 for the 3 days and included 4 or 5 passes. It wasn't really value for money for the company for the amount of business that we got out of it. Don't know if we're big enough of a forum on Boards.ie to justify that cost :o

What was with all the stands selling hurles. . And paul mcgrath stand? Wtf.

And paul mcgrath stand? Wtf.

Times must be hard for him when he has to go to the ploughing selling cd's. He was quite near us, and any time I passed him, there was feck all activity around his stall.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,481 ✭✭✭MfMan

F.D wrote: »

Actually, the stands are graded together for the most part with the machinery kept reasonably together in one area, livestock in another etc.

With all due respect to everyone, can't understand all the nit-picking that has been going on on this forum re: the ploughing. At €20 it's not too dear for the amount of stuff on view, especially in comparison for what you'd pay to get into county GAA matches these days. Parking and traffic flow is well arranged. Anyone with a bit of organisational nous in their heads should have a map or at least an idea beforehand of what they really want to see in advance of arrival. The layout of the trade stands are logically grid-aligned - just start at one corner and work your way to the opposite. For sure there may be many stands with little agricultural relevance, but this is also a trade show, and gives exhibitors the opportunity to show their wares and make a living, regardless of product. The show offers visitors a chance to meet with others, discuss issues and get new ideas. All this and food and entertainment too!

My sister went yesterday for the first time and was delighted to see the sheep dog trials and vintage machinery display. I usually attend every year when circumstances allow, and enjoy the day out regardless; I get few enough of them as it is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,025 ✭✭✭Tipp Man

On the traffic, what nutter decided that the cork traffic (and kerry, south Tipp etc) should go left in Stradbally and follow old crappy roads and the old N8 road as far as urlingford. We were crawling along at 30 mph while we could see the motorway was practically empty. Stradbally to Portlaoise must be what 7 miles yet they sent us 35 miles down these crap roads. It took us about an hour longer than it should have to get home

Whoever thought this was a good idea needs to have a serious look in the mirror

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

reilig wrote: »
    Our Company had a very small corner table in a Marquee and included 4 or 5 passes.

Do you get one of them? :D Imagine all the guilt free telly you could watch for the €20 saved!!

Actually, the stands are graded together for the most part with the machinery kept reasonably together in one area, livestock in another etc.

With all due respect to everyone, can't understand all the nit-picking that has been going on on this forum re: the ploughing. At €20 it's not too dear for the amount of stuff on view, especially in comparison for what you'd pay to get into county GAA matches these days. Parking and traffic flow is well arranged. Anyone with a bit of organisational nous in their heads should have a map or at least an idea beforehand of what they really want to see in advance of arrival. The layout of the trade stands are logically grid-aligned - just start at one corner and work your way to the opposite. For sure there may be many stands with little agricultural relevance, but this is also a trade show, and gives exhibitors the opportunity to show their wares and make a living, regardless of product. The show offers visitors a chance to meet with others, discuss issues and get new ideas. All this and food and entertainment too!

My sister went yesterday for the first time and was delighted to see the sheep dog trials and vintage machinery display. I usually attend every year when circumstances allow, and enjoy the day out regardless; I get few enough of them as it is.[/Quote]

Truth be known. . Your prob like me scanned the lot. . But a lot of people would only want the real farm stuff.

If i was only looking for farm things then yes, a lot of trash. . .

Anyone see the guy selling the magic cloths. Soak up everything. . . . Lol people were paying 20 quid . .for 6. . . 6 big cloths. . You only need one. .

Truth be known. . Your prob like me scanned the lot. . But a lot of people would only want the real farm stuff.

If i was only looking for farm things then yes, a lot of trash. . .

Anyone see the guy selling the magic cloths. Soak up everything. . . . Lol people were paying 20 quid . .for 6. . . 6 big cloths. . You only need one. .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

MfMan wrote: »
    All this and food ......too!

Were there free lunches given out this year? €20 is steep for admission to a field, when it's coming out of your own pocket. It's easy for lads getting their hands on free passes to talk.

It may have been said with a bit of tongue in cheek, but what would be wrong with giving punters meal vouchers? Something to soften the blow and encourage the crowds to keep coming back? Go visit Guinness Storehouse or bushmills and you get a 'free' drink!!

People will get stung once or twice, but won't continue to be fools. I think Wexford next year will be a big wake up call for the NPA, perhaps I'm wrong. Take a day off work, drive +3hours and get charged over the odds to wade through an outdoor exhibition 50% of which has no relevance or interest to you...???? ' I never seen so much sh*t I didn't want to buy!' Wouldn't you want to be a little mad? :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

did anyone see the fella shouting about jesus, he said he had done time in jail- pity they didnt keep him there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

did anyone see the fella shouting about jesus, he said he had done time in jail

Should've told him we all knew Jesus done time in jail :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭LostCovey

I was surprised at the number of religious stands of all kinds. Must cost serious €€s to get a stand for three days.

LC

did anyone see the fella shouting about jesus, he said he had done time in jail- pity they didnt keep him there

I saw a guy walking around really slowly carring a small plackard ver his head which just said "Jesus".

He wasn't saying anything, just walking along looking at the ground!

I saw a guy walking around really slowly carring a small plackard ver his head which just said "Jesus".

that was him, i was queueing for the atm and he was there beside it shouting away

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

LostCovey wrote: »
    I was surprised at the number of religious stands of all kinds. Must cost serious €€s to get a stand for three days.

LC

Must be serious money in religion!

What's the going rate for redemption I wonder?:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

that was him, i was queueing for the atm and he was there beside it shouting away
    Maybe he just shouted Jesus, when he saw your bank balance! :D

pakalasa wrote: »
    Maybe he just shouted Jesus, when he saw your bank balance! :D
    yup , he was probably saying how could anyone owe that much money, or maybe he was saying a prayer that the machine wouldnt swallow my card

• Closed Accounts Posts: 533 ✭✭✭towzer2010

Someone should have told him Jimmy Carr's joke:

"If we are all gods childeren what's so special about Jesus"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

Bizzum wrote: »
    Must be serious money in religion!

No quotas :p

Sushhhhh.. Everyone will want to get outta beef and start up :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭LostCovey

I heard a few people shouting JESUS! ........but that was as the rain started, so maybe evidence of immersion not conversion.

• Advertisement
Advertisement