Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New motherboard & CPU?

Options
  • 19-09-2011 5:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭

As highlighted in a previous thread both my motherboard and cpu have gone the way of the dodo following a psu failure. I have bought a replacement psu (this I got prior to finding out about the remainder being fecked) but now am considering my options for the currently required components.

The pc is the general use one mainly used for music/movie ripping, surfing, email, document editing, photo editing, etc. The previous cpu was an E5300 and, while not going to set the world on fire, it did the job.

I have a seperate dedicated media centre pc (running an i3 for CPU & GFX with HD audio bitstreaming to my amp) for tv & movie duty which, despite a couple of minor issues, is working quite well. However, due to it's being used for tv, I can't use this one for general duties - there's always going to be clashes in this case ;)

I also intend, probably over the coming winter, to introduce a server to the setup in order to have centralised storage for movies/music/photos/documents/etc.

I'm wondering what's a good option here? I'm thinking I could replace the current pc with a laptop and use the pc as a server by changing the OS and adding more drives. I would still need a CPU/Motherboard though but might be able to get away with an older one - I don't think I'd need much horsepower for what would essentially be a file server?

Anyone like to offer any thoughts or opinions as to what way I should go?

Advertisement