Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Modifying a kitchen unit to fit a new fridge

• 19-09-2011 5:20pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭

I need a new fridge-freezer and want one that is larger than the existing one...mainly as I require extra freezer space. The dimensions of the available space is 1650mm x 600mm x 600mm. The fridge that I was looking at is 1750mm high so won't fit because of the heighth, but width and depth are fine.

I was thinking could I remove the base that it is sitting on so that it now sits on the floor. Is it called a kickback? Anyway here are the photos:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/36339367@N02/6163237854/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/36339367@N02/6120345895/

Just realised I have 4 other photos...just scroll across to "older" etc.

Can anyone advise if it is a bad idea to remove the base or if not, would it be an easy DIY job?

Many thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭Carpenter

gebbel wrote: »
    I need a new fridge-freezer and want one that is larger than the existing one...mainly as I require extra freezer space. The dimensions of the available space is 1650mm x 600mm x 600mm. The fridge that I was looking at is 1750mm high so won't fit because of the heighth, but width and depth are fine.

I was thinking could I remove the base that it is sitting on so that it now sits on the floor. Is it called a kickback? Anyway here are the photos:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/36339367@N02/6163237854/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/36339367@N02/6120345895/

Can anyone advise if it is a bad idea to remove the base or if not, would it be an easy DIY job?

Many thanks.

As far as I can see it would work but is there enough circulation around it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 519 ✭✭✭harry21

Carpenter wrote: »
    As far as I can see it would work but is there enough circulation around it

Ya, simple job to remove the kicker and then the shelf, which could be messy depending on how it is fixed.

Don't worry about circulation, inbuilt fridge work just fine don't they?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭gebbel

Thanks. Yes there is circulation as a cavity exists above and at the back of the top press. And a horizontal narrow beam at the back of the fridge prevents the fridge from being pushed against the inner wall....so air can flow around it.

harry21 wrote: »
    Ya, simple job to remove the kicker and then the shelf, which could be messy depending on how it is fixed.

So when I remove the kicker, I just have to cut off the length I need to allow the fridge in? Then does the end piece of the kicker that I have just cut need to be tapered...I mean some sort of a cover put on it as the wood is now exposed?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

gebbel wrote: »
    So when I remove the kicker, I just have to cut off the length I need to allow the fridge in? Then does the end piece of the kicker that I have just cut need to be tapered...I mean some sort of a cover put on it as the wood is now exposed?

Keep the bit you've cut off and use it to close off the gap that will appear between the fridge and the drawers.
    You can get iron-on adhesive trim to finish off the cut edge on the kicker.

What finish is under the unit, do the floor tiles extend right under to the wall?

• Advertisement

slimjimmc wrote: »
    Keep the bit you've cut off and use it to close off the gap that will appear between the fridge and the drawers.

What finish is under the unit, do the floor tiles extend right under to the wall?

I'm not sure to be honest. I know that under the sink they tiled all the way into the wall though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 97 ✭✭HeisenbergBB

slimjimmc wrote: »

Off-topic - I actually need iron-on adhesive for something else. Where can you get this? Hardware stores?

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭m1nder

I'd be inclined to alter the top rather than the bottom. Raise the upper shelf and trim its door. Having the appliance raised is ergonomically superior, plus cutting into the kickboard and placing the new fridge on the floor would look terrible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭Tom Joad

Off-topic - I actually need iron-on adhesive for something else. Where can you get this? Hardware stores?

Can be hard to get in hardware shops in my experience. I got a roll from woodworkers.ie earlier this year - have tons of it left and no use for it - its white oak coloured - PM me if its off any use to you - would be happy to see it go to a good home.

Advertisement