Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

moving pad bolt on gate

• 19-09-2011 5:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭

I have a pad bolt on my wooden gate but it was put on so the two sections do not line up exact and it is difficult to open/ close. I will have to move it. Could be difficult as i have to move from the original holes or they will be made too big and not much room. Should i fill the original hole or does it matter if they are coverd

Is it wood screws I use?

Is there any similar bolt for a gate that is easier to line up

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 519 ✭✭✭harry21

Did you put it on wrong?

Chances are it was put on correctly first day, but the gate is sagging now because of improper struting. Especially with wooden gates.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭One shot on kill

move it if you can keep it over old holes to hide do but dont worry to much screws just make sure there big enough and heavy enough thats the main concern there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭ANSI

harry21 wrote: »
    Did you put it on wrong?
    the guys who fitted the gate did,very slightly misalligned
    Chances are it was put on correctly first day, but the gate is sagging now because of improper struting. Especially with wooden gates.
    no very slightly misalligned from day one been meaning to do something with it

Ya go ahead an move it. You could put some wood glue in the old holes, just to stop water ingress.

To align it correctly, install it while the gate is closed and the bolt is pushed into the hole.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,716 ✭✭✭1chippy

if your trying to resrew the bolt near the old holes just to realign just put a small bit of wood glue in then wedge in a small bit of timber or even a couple of matchsticks packed and screw beside it. most of the time these only need slight adjustment.

• Advertisement

1chippy wrote: »
    if your trying to resrew the bolt near the old holes just to realign just put a small bit of wood glue in then wedge in a small bit of timber or even a couple of matchsticks packed and screw beside it. most of the time these only need slight adjustment.
    Thanks for that idea, you too harry 21

I did it. The screws in it were at an unblievable angle, no wonder it was stiff.

I have to use the electric screwdriver to finish one screw tomorrow. what torque should it be at

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭Departed

Did you put it on wrong?

what is improper struting?How can i tell if that is my problem?i have a similar issue

Whata blast from the past!

Put up a picture and we tell you!!

Whata blast from the past!

Put up a picture and we tell you!!

Can you explain strutting. Where is it strutted?

• Advertisement

Diagonal piece on the back (normally) of the gate.

Diagonal piece on the back (normally) of the gate.
    Here is a simple drawing. The red square is the bolt and the black squares are the hinges. is the diagonal piece right? what would it look like wrong? Thanks

Ya, looks grand. Best to just move the bolt lock

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭whiteonblu

Excuse me jumping in. Is it usual/standard practise to put cement around the posts that the gate is hung from?

Advertisement