Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Secret Millionaire - 19/09/'11 - RTE 1 @ 9:35

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31,868 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Well done John, so far two people from the Tuam area have done huge work for Pieta House. Colm Farrell walked every county in Ireland recently to raise funds and John Concannon donates a very generous sum of money.

That was a really touching program and John came across very well. He did Tuam proud!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 Avago

Im very disturbed by the treatment of those horses though. They are not well looked after despite they might say.

In fairness one of those horses seemed happy enough - walking around with a boner the size of my leg. low brow but almost as funny as his madourofit assistant :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 221 ✭✭Tito Ortiz

Great show.. Salt of the earth people !

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

oh my god... He was in my estate for the majority of the programme....

It's not actually that bad, our only real problem is all the horses. The park is getting done up at the moment, as is the local community centre.

Did yis get a look at all those big flat screen tvs in everyone's houses? The football ladies were talking complete rubbish btw.

It was great to see the suicide charity and the carer association get some attention. I'd never actually even heard of the carer group, it's tucked away in a tiny little alley in the village. Hopefully this publicity helps them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 221 ✭✭Tito Ortiz

phasers wrote: »
    oh my god... He was in my estate for the majority of the programme....

It's not actually that bad, our only real problem is all the horses. The park is getting done up at the moment, as is the local community centre.

Did yis get a look at all those big flat screen tvs in everyone's houses? The football ladies were talking complete rubbish btw.

It was great to see the suicide charity and the carer association get some attention. I'd never actually even heard of the carer group, it's tucked away in a tiny little alley in the village. Hopefully this publicity helps them.

That was the first time I seen the field in Rowlagh without a moped on it :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

I'm not a fan of the english one, when I watch it I usually just skip the the end when he gives the cheques but myself the the wife couldn't take our eyes off that. He seems just the most genuine guy I have seen in any episode. Had a bit of a lump in my throat when he was telling the story of his friend who killed him self 25 years previously.

I don't believe for one second that the millionaire does any of the research but it's irrelevant IMHO. Three good causes.

Even going beyond the "by RTE standards" measuring stick that I apply to home grown TV it was a great watch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,666 ✭✭✭Howjoe1

i really enjoyed it and i'm not afraid to say i was moved to tears when he gave out the cheques.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

Tito Ortiz wrote: »
    That was the first time I seen the field in Rowlagh without a moped on it :D

oh those bloody bikes... I had such a laugh when he was walking down the alley next to Finches, it looked like someone had given it a good cleaning!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭msg11

Your man that came up too him when he was cleaning outside the football container was very funny. His answer to every question, 'You don't know the half of it' . And then your man , telling him to come back with the bag.

Made good viewing, John seemed like a decent skin and seemed horrified about the real Dublin. I'm from Dublin and my god I knew the place was bad, but that really opened my eyes on, the serious law and disorder in the place. Also the total lack of respect younger people have for there area.

I'm 21 there's nothing for me too do around my area day in day out. I just get on with it, get a hobbie and get active. I don't skull a load of cans and smash the place up. Maybe the reason I don't do this is because from when I was younger I was though what's wrong. So maybe more education with youngsters in these areas could maybe stop half this trouble and parents that stop there kids from thinking there living in the wild west and teach them to have some pride in the community and stop blaming the council and government on there been nothing for them to do. The way I see it, if there going to cause trouble there going to do it regardless of something to do in the area.

Also gose to show, that even threw all the anti social behaviour that some people still care about there community's and won't be put off by bottles, fires and out of control teenagers.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,219 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

I enjoyed it - but did they have to keep repeating themselves? I lost count of how many times we were told John was going to give thousands of his own money...yes. I remember from when you last told us 5 minutes ago...and 5 minutes before that...and 5 minutes before that....! I wish they would just get to the damn point!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭LEH

Great show, but it was missing the bit at the end when they go back 3 months later to see what was done with the money, it was aways the second best bit on the Channel 4 version after watching people receive the cheques. Hilarious but also really touching to see the drugged up guy giving a hand cleaning up, good to know junkies still have a heart.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 934 ✭✭✭C-J

LEH wrote: »
    Great show, but it was missing the bit at the end when they go back 3 months later to see what was done with the money, it was aways the second best bit on the Channel 4 version after watching people receive the cheques. Hilarious but also really touching to see the drugged up guy giving a hand cleaning up, good to know junkies still have a heart.

I read something in local paper last week about how he still keeps in contact with those he helped, and there'll be a show next spring about how the money has helped. I think he has formed a great friendship with that taxi driver, imagine just hoppin into a taxi and for all this to unfold, for John to have such emotions stirred up and the taxi driver to then receive 25k for the charity. He definitely had an angel looking down!

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭wush06

LEH wrote: »
    good to know junkies still have a heart.

Till you turn your back on the junkie. The c&unt would stick a knife or worse in you in a spilt second and be of with your money and phone. I know cos I live there. Never trust a junkie ever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 409 ✭✭qwytre

C-J wrote: »
    I read something in local paper last week about how he still keeps in contact with those he helped, and there'll be a show next spring about how the money has helped. I think he has formed a great friendship with that taxi driver, imagine just hoppin into a taxi and for all this to unfold, for John to have such emotions stirred up and the taxi driver to then receive 25k for the charity. He definitely had an angel looking down!

I think it is fair to say that the taxi thing was fixed, but that doesnt take away from the show. Excellent overall.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭joseph brand

I almost cried when he gave the taxi man the cheque. Nothing like a grown man crying to get the lip wobbling. Well deserved it.
    Watched it with me wife last night and thoroughly enjoyed it. Fair play to John. He was honest and genuine. NOT what I expect from a millionaire.

As LEH said previous, I'm very interested to see how John continues his involvement in the Pieta house. My brother's friend commited suicide with the help of a rope about 3 weeks ago. Very very sad.

Thanks John. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

Good to see the decent folks of Clondalkin getting a bit of publicity,99% of people from here are like that,it's only the scumbag minority that give the place a bad name,and then the only time you ever hear about us on the telly is when someone gets shot or the Guards find drugs or whatever.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭omerin

If the taxi man was a plant then the show has lost its credibility imo. I never got the impression that they set up the charities in the UK version prior to the millionaire arriving at his accomadation. Also the house he was living in was far better then anything in the UK version.
    On a final and worrying note, something that hasn't been mentioned, surely a person dealing with kids needs garda veting????????? You cannot just walk into the charity of your choice and be in the company of minors without the propper checks taking place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭InchicoreDude

As LEH said previous, I'm very interested to see how John continues his involvement in the Pieta house.

Check this out from todays Tuam Herald;

http://www.tuamherald.ie/2011/09/21/toghermore-earmarked-for-west%E2%80%99s-first-pieta-house/

I thought he came across very well too. He actually seemed to struggle to find things to get involved with at the start.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 764 ✭✭✭beagle001

John came across as a decent grounded person,fair play to him for actually wanting to do something like this.
    As another poster has mentioned he was not like a typical millionaire,Ireland was a wash with paper millionaires who never really worked at a business to get it off the ground and to a success.
    We were so used to seeing these property developers flashing their cash in a celebrity magazine that it gave true businessmen a poor reputation where all these people were just chancers.
    There are many folk in Ireland just like John,wealthy but they earnt their money and are extremley generous with it,they know the menaing of a hard graft unlike the fools who got us into this mess the country now sees itself in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭InchicoreDude

The junkie helping was funny; when he said "I'd hardly just stand there watching ya".

I also thought his father at the beginning was funny, when he said "more power to him" about getting away from farming

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭Sergio

Really enjoyed this show was very emotional at the end but John came across very well in the show and seems like a very genuine person.

Advertisement