Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Solemniser Recommendations

Options
  • 19-09-2011 5:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 15

Hi All,
    I am getting married April 20th 2012 and the hse are booked up for ceremonies on that day (all fridays until august booked already) so I am looking for somebody that can recommend a solemniser for the ceremony. I have tried a person named Tom that has been mentioned on other treads but unfortunately he is booked for that day. Don't really want to go down the registry office one day and ceremony another route. Help anyone Please.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭newtothis

Sandra losty and Mary losty are also somnisers from the spiritulist union of ireland like Tom colton, if you look at the list of registered solmenisers, maybe try them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 wall2wall

Thanks newtothis but they are both unavailable too. I've looked at the groireland list but there's just so many on the list and I would really like to know if somebody could recommend a solemniser from the list that they had a great experience with for their own wedding or at their friends/family wedding.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,300 ✭✭✭Gatica

unfortunately, as far as I know, they're the only organisation that do legal weddings instead of the HSE :(
    The only other option to look into would be other "religious" organisations that are listed on the HSE's list of solemnisers, maybe they might do you a favour of a wedding ceremony?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 wall2wall

I think that they are even slightly religious too Gatica. I don't mind if it's a religious organisation, just not over the top. I really need somebody that has had a solemniser from the list that can say 'yes he/she was good, we would recommend him/her for your ceremony'

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Betty Draper

Looks like we will be in the same situation so.

We were told you cannot apply to the HSE until 6 months prior to your Wedding, we are want to get married the end of April.

We have the venue.

Dammit anyway :mad:

I just want a quick, "how are you" do you want to marry this person ?" services, and not a mention of the god word.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,423 ✭✭✭tinkerbell

No, you need to give a minimum of 3 months notice to the HSE but you don't have to wait for a certain timeframe to book a registrar. Book it NOW!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭BC

Looks like we will be in the same situation so.

We were told you cannot apply to the HSE until 6 months prior to your Wedding, we are want to get married the end of April.

We have the venue.

Dammit anyway :mad:

I just want a quick, "how are you" do you want to marry this person ?" services, and not a mention of the god word.

The 6 months prior to the wedding thing is for the church.
    With the state, you can do it anytime as long as it's at least 3 months in advance (it can take ages to get appointments though so the earlier the better!).

BC wrote: »
    The 6 months prior to the wedding thing is for the church.
    With the state, you can do it anytime as long as it's at least 3 months in advance (it can take ages to get appointments though so the earlier the better!).

thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭newtothis

I remember someone saying that a solmeniser from Unitarian church married their sister in a hotel, have a look at the forums on weddingsonline.ie there may be more people that can answer your question.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭TheChevron

There is a guy called John Hogan from the HSE in Kilkenny. He is an absolute gent and does a great job. I think I have his email, if anyone wants it send me a pm. He charges the standard rate + Travel and Sub.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 leanne402

Hi, I'm (hoping to) getting married on the 21st Sept 2012 at the Glendalough Hotel, Wicklow. I have NO idea how to go about booking a solemniser for it. Do we just ring the HSE joyce house number and book one through them? All the solemnisers on the Dublin register have that contact number, but I can NEVER get through.
    How do we go about booking somebody personally? Any recommendations and contact details would be great, we literaly want "you two wanna get married? Great...I now declare you....." we don't want a religious ceremony.
    Thanks a mil
    Wondering if all this hassle is worth it now :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 leanne402

Hi, I'm (hoping to) getting married on the 21st Sept 2012 at the Glendalough Hotel, Wicklow. I have NO idea how to go about booking a solemniser for it. Do we just ring the HSE joyce house number and book one through them? All the solemnisers on the Dublin register have that contact number, but I can NEVER get through.
    How do we go about booking somebody personally? Any recommendations and contact details would be great, we literaly want "you two wanna get married? Great...I now declare you....." we don't want a religious ceremony.
    Thanks a mil
    Wondering if all this hassle is worth it now :confused:

If they are not answering the phone then you may need to call to the office in person or email them if they have an email address.
    I called a registrar before in case a booking for a particular venue went through. The registrar posted us a form with all the information in it. If you tried calling a registrar from a different county and they answered the phone, you could try asking them if they could send you paperwork for your local registrar, never know, may work...

we booked ours today with these people http://spiritualceremonies.ie/

they have 2 people and do 7 weddings a day

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭val444

Hi all

We have provisionally booked our wedding for a Saturday next June, and we were really excited about it. However, I only found out this morning that the Registrar only works Monday to Friday. It is my own fault, I had simply assumed that Saturday was a normal day for a wedding.

I have now called 15 of the people on the Solemniser registry, and have yet to get to speak to someone. None of these people are even answering the phone.

Anyone have any recommendations for the Cork area? I have tried the above people, and no joy. I would like the wedding to be short and sweet, no mention of religion. At this point, it looks like we may have to get married the day before and just have a party on the Saturday!

Thanks
    Emma

If you've only just mailed them, give them a day or two to get back to you. It may seem like an eternity when you're planning a wedding, but just give them a chance if you've been trying to call them as well. I'm sure the guys from the Spiritualist Union would love to help you. If they're available for your date, then they can do a saturday wedding no problem.
    I had also thought a weekend wedding would be ok for civil ceremony, unfortunately they're a bit behind with the times at the HSE.

@TheChevron

Do you think Mr Hogan would travel to Cork? I have contacted so many solemnisers and no joy yet...

Could you please PM me his details if you don't mind?

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Pinky-Mwah

val444 wrote: »
    Hi all

We have provisionally booked our wedding for a Saturday next June, and we were really excited about it. However, I only found out this morning that the Registrar only works Monday to Friday. It is my own fault, I had simply assumed that Saturday was a normal day for a wedding.

I have now called 15 of the people on the Solemniser registry, and have yet to get to speak to someone. None of these people are even answering the phone.

Anyone have any recommendations for the Cork area? I have tried the above people, and no joy. I would like the wedding to be short and sweet, no mention of religion. At this point, it looks like we may have to get married the day before and just have a party on the Saturday!

Thanks
    Emma

Emma, try calling Tom Colton on 086-2657171 or the website: http://spiritualistunion.com/

Thanks for this. I actually did call him, and it is all sorted. Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 2 RCCB

sorry, here it is below
    thanks! im just looking for his email

TheChevron wrote: »
    There is a guy called John Hogan from the HSE in Kilkenny. He is an absolute gent and does a great job. I think I have his email, if anyone wants it send me a pm. He charges the standard rate + Travel and Sub.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 lauramcc

hay could you e mail me his details im cant get anyone to do our civil in august thanks x

Hi

His details are actually contained in the thread above!

Thanks.

Advertisement