Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

chutney preserving

Options
  • 19-09-2011 6:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 43

hi all,have a glut of apples and tomatoes and i have been making chutneys with them but we're out of kilner jars.i would rather not buy more as they cost alot.does anyone have any experience of keeping chutnies in jam jars and just sealing them with the wax discs and cellophane,does it last ok?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭trackguy

tadhg11 wrote: »
    hi all,have a glut of apples and tomatoes and i have been making chutneys with them but we're out of kilner jars.i would rather not buy more as they cost alot.does anyone have any experience of keeping chutnies in jam jars and just sealing them with the wax discs and cellophane,does it last ok?

They work just as well. in my experience. I did mango chutney, chilli jam, apple and cranberry relish last year in jam jars and they kept great.

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭fitzcoff

I made chutney/jams and relishes last year and this and have put them in old jam jars and mayo jars. I didn't bother with the wax discs and cellophane and have had no problems. I recently opened a jar that was made in august last year and no problem with them.

I normally have the jars hot when filling them and usually the jar self seals itself as in the button thing on the lid goes down so it's like when you buy a jar and when you open it, it pops up.

I did make the mistake of using a tomato pasta jar last year for blackberry jam and there was a lovely taste of pasta sauce off of the jam when opening it :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 tadhg11

thanks folks, going to give it a try

• Registered Users Posts: 17,045 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

just put the washed jars and lids in the oven at around 100c for 10 minutes or so before you use them - don't put them on a wet surface when you take them out or they'll crack - I put them on a wooden board. Fill with the hot chutney and cap straight away.

Advertisement