Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Butane to Propane

• 19-09-2011 6:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭

Last winter I was in and out of the house throwing hot water over my butane gas cylinder- use it for gas hob in house. Fed up with that. Found out that butane freezes at about minus 1 or so. I have Decided to switch to Propane because it doesn't freeze until it reaches about minus 30. Question is about the regulator. Can I just replace the butane regulator with a propane regulator or do I need to replace the hose as well?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,184 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Moved from Donegal to DIY forum

• Closed Accounts Posts: 902 ✭✭✭DoneDL

You need a regulator suitable for propane.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

Fit a new propane hose as well, these break down over time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 259 ✭✭ruffmut

As far as I know you will need to change the gas jets on the hob also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

The gas jets should be ok as most hobs are set up for propane.
    If you have the user instuctions it will show which fuel it's set up for.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 902 ✭✭✭DoneDL

Apologies OP as aujopimur pointed out you will need to change the hoses, but the regulators are entirely different and the regulators are generally supplied with hoses. You do realise that the regulations have changed on LPG and only an RGII can update your system. I would be surprised if they changed the jets.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭akira336

Hope this isn't too off topic but how long will butane or propane last in the cylinder if unopened? I'd assume forever once unopened? Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭Coles

DoneDL wrote: »
    You do realise that the regulations have changed on LPG and only an RGII can update your system.
    As far as I'm aware those regulations only apply to 'Natural Gas'. They so not apply to LPG/Propane.

Here's a link to RGII and to the relevant legislation.

Of course such works should only be carried out by competent people etc etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Billy Bunting

Competent wont cut it! You must now be registered to work on LPG.

Competent wont cut it! You must now be registered to work on LPG.
    It seems you're right. Does that include changing a dirty jet? Pretty soon you'll need an electrician to change a light bulb.:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Dirty jet, yes, but excluding portable equipment such as patio heaters and cabinet heaters e.g. supersers.

Have you not seen this poster ......

http://www.rgii.ie/_fileupload/RGI%20Documents/RGII%20A4%20leaflet%20(2011)%2001%20(2).pdf

You may well soon require a RECI reg number in order to purchase that bulb, an RGI number to buy a gas hose, and an Oftec number to buy a Nozzle. :cool:

Have you not seen this poster ......
    Why would I have seen that poster? :confused:
    AND if this was about safety then surely Supersers would be included, no? Quite revealing that they're not!

I assume a cert isn't required for existing installations (ever), so I guess people could avoid this massive expense by installing second-hand cookers and buying any parts and spares online. That hardly encourages safety either.

And as for needing a RECI electrician to purchase a lightbulb...:rolleyes:

Coles wrote: »
    Why would I have seen that poster? :confused:

Well i just thought you may have come across it while digging up your earlier link to irelivent legislation. :rolleyes:

Advertisement