Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cheapest can of beer

Options
  • 19-09-2011 7:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭

Right, heading back to college soon and there will be plenty of sessions, pre drinks and what not and I'm a poor bastard so the cheaper the beer the better. I'm fed up with naggins of vodka at this stage, the cheap stuff is a bit rank and while a naggin for six or seven euro sounds cheap you need mixer too.

Theres always a selection of beer you can get for a Euro a can in most off licenses, but the cheapest I've ever bought is St Bernards (Dunnes) brand lager for 79 cent a can. It tastes decent too. Is there anything cheaper out there and what does it taste like?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 427 ✭✭scotty_irish

home brew

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭im invisible

Saw 8 tennants for 5.99 i think in an offie in cork,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

Keep your eye out for special offers and you'll drink like a King... well.. a King who drinks cheap beer from cans.

You can get 12 cans of Bud from Dunnes for like €15 or thereabouts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 569 ✭✭✭CoolHat

Get LIDL beer. Its nice and cheap.
    They sell perlenbacher bottles 6 for €6.30. Or the can version for 99c each.
    The bottles I find are stonger than any garlsberg, heinkein etc can you'll get in an off-license. Maybe thats just me tho. But if you're looking for cheap beer. definitely goto lidl. And they have a selection of cheap beers. You'll definitely find one you'll like. Apart from that dozens of LIDL's around the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭soyawhatsup

Aldi's finest, Galahad, 12 for 8 euro

• Advertisement

home brew

Im actually thinking about brewing my own home beer too :)
    Not that i'm cheap, but as for a project and would be nice to see how good it tastes. Theres a homebrew forum on boards, op. I've looked a little bit into it and i think you can get decent kits for around 80 euro. Would be handy around christmas :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

Keep your eye out for special offers and you'll drink like a King... well.. a King who drinks cheap beer from cans.

You can get 12 cans of Bud from Dunnes for like €15 or thereabouts.
    For that amount I could get nearly 19 cans of Dunnes lager!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,108 ✭✭✭RachaelVO

CoolHat wrote: »
    Get LIDL beer. Its nice and cheap.
    They sell perlenbacher bottles 6 for €6.30. Or the can version for 99c each.
    The bottles I find are stonger than any garlsberg, heinkein etc can you'll get in an off-license. Maybe thats just me tho. But if you're looking for cheap beer. definitely goto lidl.

Totally agree, we couldn't find a decent supermarket in spain, but we stumbled upon a Lidl and bought the perlenbacher in bottles. Nice beer and a great price (although a whole lot cheaper in spain).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,324 ✭✭✭Alter-Ego

4 cans of Excelsior in Lidl for €3.09. Ya can't go wrong with 8 for €6.18. It tastes like bum holes, but after you get the first one or two into you, you're flying.

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭AnamGlas

if yuuuur not drinkin dutch, yuuuur paaayin too much

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭flash1080

Man up and drink the vodka neat :P

RachaelVO wrote: »
    Totally agree, we couldn't find a decent supermarket in spain, but we stumbled upon a Lidl and bought the perlenbacher in bottles. Nice beer and a great price (although a whole lot cheaper in spain).

Lidl is in spain?
    wow. never knew.

Alter-Ego wrote: »
    4 cans of Excelsior in Lidl for €3.09. Ya can't go wrong with 8 for €6.18. It tastes like bum holes, but after you get the first one or two into you, you're flying.
    That sounds quality. Only thing is I think I would have to get a bus to get to the nearest Lidl.

Wolfe Tone wrote: »
    That sounds quality. Only thing is I think I would have to get a bus to get to the nearest Lidl.

Hmmm, a problem so.
    Unless you pass by a LIDL on your way home?
    I should be a lidl beer spokesman. I cant recommend it enough :D
    But Aldi have their own version of the LIDL Berlenbacher. Never tasted it tho. But a blatant rip off. Even with the packaging. Try that perhaps.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,964 ✭✭✭Sitec

Sitec wrote: »
    I dont see any cans for less than a Euro there?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,128 ✭✭✭✭aaronjumper

Grafenwalder in LIDL. It's 5% amd a Euro a can.
    It's not that gassy so it goes down easy.

Or dutch gold. It's everywhere and cheap to boot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

Small piece of advice.

Always check the PRICE PER LITRE.... if not there and (it should be)

Then check the bottle and can size

Then check the ABV.

4.3% and upwards is where you should go, below that..... :eek:

5% is good.

If you want cheap and fairly good and wont cut the guts out of you

Perly in Lidl..6x500/.6.29 kaiserdom/Dunnes.6x500.6.36 karpackie./Dunnes 8x 500/8.99

St Etienne /Aldi 6x500/6 ... Stella in Tesco...ck the abv and container size.

can be around 2.26 a litre which is acceptable.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,938 ✭✭✭mackg

Right, heading back to college soon and there will be plenty of sessions, pre drinks and what not and I'm a poor bastard so the cheaper the beer the better. I'm fed up with naggins of vodka at this stage, the cheap stuff is a bit rank and while a naggin for six or seven euro sounds cheap you need mixer too.

Theres always a selection of beer you can get for a Euro a can in most off licenses, but the cheapest I've ever bought is St Bernards (Dunnes) brand lager for 79 cent a can. It tastes decent too. Is there anything cheaper out there and what does it taste like?

As far as mixer goes I think you can get orange squash in Dunnes for 26c. As far as being sick of voldka you could always move to cheap whiskey, whiskey and redbull is rocket fuel. (it used be anyway)

Agreed about st b lager being good, it does taste grand but it doesn't really taste like any other beer i've drank. It's weak enough too.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Remember getting a can for 29c or something before. Christ that was piss
    Still drank it though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭m.j.w

tescos have bottles of brama at 10 euro for 12 but if you buy 2 you get one free so 36 bottles for 20 quid. works out at 55 cent a bottle so thats the same as a euro for a 500ml can (maybe even slightly better) and bottles of brama are lovely!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,964 ✭✭✭Sitec

That's true didn't realize the budget was so tight!

Still good value to be had there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,938 ✭✭✭mackg

Gotta love a good Bishops Finger though!

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭Laisurg

Not much wrong with st bernard lager if your broke, i had it offered to me once and i thought it was gonna be disgusting but it was actually ok.
    But i think naggins of whiskey are better (what were you thinking buying vodka you mad bastard!?) and sure you can get a cheap bottle of spar coke for like 70 cent for a mixer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

Is their an Aldi close by?
    Rheinbacher, 6 x 500ml bottles for €6.29 too.

4.9%, tastes same (some say better) as perlenbacher

• Registered Users Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

Moved from After Hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭Laisurg

Small piece of advice.

Always check the PRICE PER LITRE.... if not there and (it should be)

Then check the bottle and can size

Then check the ABV.

4.3% and upwards is where you should go, below that..... :eek:

5% is good.

If you want cheap and fairly good and wont cut the guts out of you

Perly in Lidl..6x500/.6.29 kaiserdom/Dunnes.6x500.6.36 karpackie./Dunnes 8x 500/8.99

St Etienne /Aldi 6x500/6 ... Stella in Tesco...ck the abv and container size.

can be around 2.26 a litre which is acceptable.

WONT cut the guts out of you? Karpackie?! What have you been smoking and can i please have some!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

Laisurg wrote: »
    WONT cut the guts out of you? Karpackie?! What have you been smoking and can i please have some!

Dunno what you've been drinking?

Fcuk all wrong with Karpackie!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Lidl is in spain?
    wow. never knew.

http://www.lidl.es/cps/rde/xchg/lidl_es/hs.xsl/index.htm

Galahad Lager is about 74c a can in Aldi and is actually very drinkable or you could head to Tesco and get 3 cases of beer for €20.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,108 ✭✭✭RachaelVO

Lidl is in spain?
    wow. never knew.

I think the Germans gave up on aggression, now they are just conquering the whole of Europe via cheap supermarkets and bail outs!

Advertisement