Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Scooter Repair \ Secondhand parts

• 19-09-2011 7:34pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭

A friend of mine was told that the cause of starting problem with his Peugeot 50cc scooter is a blocked catalyst which needs to be replaced.

Back in the day, I remember de-coking 2 stroke exhaust with a blowtorch or caustic soda. What are the chances that this approach would work with a modern scooter exhaust?

Also, anyone know where a second hand exhaust could be bought? Cork area ideally but any suggestions nationwide welcome too.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Jackasaurus rex

you could give it a try if its wrecked anyway. or the clean it with drain cleaner. works on vespa exhausts

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 553 ✭✭✭turbodiesel

A friend of mine was told that the cause of starting problem with his Peugeot 50cc scooter is a blocked catalyst which needs to be replaced.

Back in the day, I remember de-coking 2 stroke exhaust with a blowtorch or caustic soda. What are the chances that this approach would work with a modern scooter exhaust?

Also, anyone know where a second hand exhaust could be bought? Cork area ideally but any suggestions nationwide welcome too.

Thanks

Well if the old one is fecked you've very little to loose by cutting it open and cleaning it out.

But once the thing is open i'd be more inclines to burn it out with a blow torch the cut the catylist converter out unless there is a sensor odf some sort that reads the catylist. (unlikely in a low value moped)

I'd be having a look on some scooter/moped sites as a lot of engines (even 50cc) have had to clean up their act in the last 10 years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭two wheels good

Thanks folks.
    Yes, nothing to lose - that's true as long as the shop's diagnosis is correct.
    I'm not sure if there's any sensor installed in the exhaust. I'm keen to get my hands on the bike to have a closer look.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Jackasaurus rex

see if you can axe the cath if possible. they fairly strangle low cc vehicles in my experience

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭two wheels good

The ped (that's the hip term BTW) is back in one piece and running fine. No need for caustic or angle-grinders. The header pipe and exhaust port didn't look coked-up to me so I looked elsewhere. Turned out to be fuel problems.

After riding it around town briefly today I really fancy one - unrestricted of course!

• Advertisement
Advertisement