Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wooden gate furniture

• 19-09-2011 7:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭

Can anyone tell me where I can get good sturdy bolts and hinges etc for 2 good heavy wooden gates I've just purchased to hang on my redbrick pillars? Also, would youse recommend I use bolts to fix it to the brickwork or is there an alternative?

Thanks,

Tunner

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,716 ✭✭✭1chippy

your better off getting an engineering firm to make up brackets to suit the gate. i find most of the ones off the shelf dont stretch across the joints thus not spreading the weight. make sure that your pillars are capable of carrying the gates. i seen ones being pulled over by badly fitted gates

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭red sean

Are they solid brick? Some have holes through them and are hard to fix anything heavy to.

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭tunner

They are solid brick with a kind of curve in the centre. I know the ones you are on about with the holes through the block and Its not them.

Would I have to get hinges specially made? Could I not buy ones from a supplier? B and q were very expensive!

I'm in Dublin 7

Tunner

red sean wrote: »
    Are they solid brick? Some have holes through them and are hard to fix anything heavy to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Vote 4 Pedro

Iv'e just done the same job,
    Got some very heavy duty 12" hinges for €8 a pair from our local farm store but i'm in Galway,
    maybe try a smaller hardware shop

B&Q are great for a lot of things but not everything,
    our door bell broke a few weeks ago so over to B&Q we went, they were €65 for the same set as we had,
    Got it from a electrical wholesaler for €14.

Advertisement