Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rainwater harvesting systems???

• 19-09-2011 7:47pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭

Im looking into rainwater harvesting systems
    Both overground systems and also underground systems.

Around 60-70 % of my water usage would be used for toilets,washing machine,dishwasher and showers.

So with these pesky IMF water meters on their way,Im seriously looking at going for a domestic rainwater harvesting system.

Can anyone advice me on them and what would suit a domestic house with regards type and size of system???

Is there much upheaval of the house in order to install a system???

What is best,a plastic tank or a concrete tank and above ground or underground???

Do rainwater harvesting systems freeze up in wintertime???

Thanks.:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭Foghladh

I came across this thread before when I was looking at the same kind of thing, don't know if it's of any use to you.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055992759

I was getting the general idea from people I was talking to that underground was a better idea for a number of reasons. Aesthetic, risk of freezing and that the heat would cause anaerobic (or aerobic I can't remember :)) problems. In the end I just put rain butts on all the downpipes for the garden use and put a couple of bricks in the cisterns of the toilets to cut down the amount of water being flushed. I'll wait and see what the charges are first before I justify a few grand for showers :D

Advertisement