Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When should I address someone in writing using "Liebe/Lieber"

Options
  • 19-09-2011 7:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭

I go to Germany 2/3 times a year and know how to address people using Sie/Du as appropriate, but writing an e-mail in German is something I haven't done before.

I wrote using the 'Sie' form, seeking a translation from a German website which advertised translations for dialectical words, my first time to do so. I was addressed in the reply as "Geehrter Herr - ". It was a friendly reply giving me the information but without adding any personal information, other that the respondent's name. I was tempted in my reply to use "Liebe Frau - ", thinking that "Geehrte" was now too formal. Was I right? Similarly was it appropriate to use the formal in my first mail?

Danke im Voraus

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

Addressing a person with 'Liebe...' means, that you either have some kind of relationship to that person (eg. met her before a few times) or are looking for a relationship.

If it's more about official contacts, for example looking for a job or dealing with authorities, the formal 'Sehr geehrte...' is more appropriate.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Liebe/Lieber is STRICTLY friends and family only ...and also quite oldfashioned ...Grandchild writing to "Liebe Oma", danke fuer die schoenen warmen Socken :D - kind of thing.

If you want to bring a business e-mail down a notch from the very formal "sehr geehrte(r)" you could always go for "Hallo Herr/Frau ...", but still stick with "Sie" and "mit freundlichen Gruessen" at the end

peasant wrote: »
    Liebe/Lieber is STRICTLY friends and family only ...and also quite oldfashioned ...Grandchild writing to "Liebe Oma", danke fuer die schoenen warmen Socken :D - kind of thing.

If you want to bring a business e-mail down a notch from the very formal "sehr geehrte(r)" you could always go for "Hallo Herr/Frau ...", but still stick with "Sie" and "mit freundlichen Gruessen" at the end

Exactly, because 'Du' is for family members and friends only as well. Unless there is a mutual agreement, like in some workplaces.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭pat127

peasant wrote: »

Thanks everybody. That's been very helpful. As a matter of interest what's the protocol with forums, such as this one for example?

Vielen Dank

Pat

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Orla_inka

What people have said above is correct. However, half the people duzt you on Ebay - or in other situations. People here don't always go by the book, either.

I think:
    When you are writing a formal (e)mail/letter, I would stick to the "Sehr Geehrte"s. That is what they do here. So whereas it may sound formal to you, don't forget that it doesn't to a German.

I also agree with the less formal "Hello, Herr/Frau so-and-so". You will know yourself how appropriate the formality, or lack of formality, is.

Also, do not forget your brownie points, as a foreigner writing in another language. They go a long way. And people appreciate your trying to write/speak in their language.

• Advertisement

Orla_inka wrote: »
    What people have said above is correct. However, half the people duzt you on Ebay - or in other situations. People here don't always go by the book, either.

I think:
    When you are writing a formal (e)mail/letter, I would stick to the "Sehr Geehrte"s. That is what they do here. So whereas it may sound formal to you, don't forget that it doesn't to a German.

I also agree with the less formal "Hello, Herr/Frau so-and-so". You will know yourself how appropriate the formality, or lack of formality, is.

Also, do not forget your brownie points, as a foreigner writing in another language. They go a long way. And people appreciate your trying to write/speak in their language.

Many thanks for taking the time to reply. I appreciate it. Well, I need all the brownie points I can get! I've been in touch with a lady whose website offers a translation service from 'Bairisch'. I was reading 'Herbstmilch' von Anna Wimschneider and there are plenty of words in the dialect there. This lady was described online as Melanie Henke Verlag (not her real name) which I took to be her full name. Okay, it's not unusual in German just as in English for people to have 'trade' names, Smith, Taylor, Baker, Schneider, Schumacher etc, so why not 'Verlag'? I, taking the advice given by you all, addressed her as Sehr geehrte Frau Verlag! Frau Henke, who owns a 'Verlag', corrected me after one or two exchanges, but very gently, so I imagine she was more amused than anything else!

Thanks again.

You are more than welcome. Actually because I had posted here, it came up in conversation with an American colleague.

I have actually seen a Bairisch dictionary - I can't remember if it was Bairisch - German or Bairisch - English. It was more of a joke than anything else.

I must confess, I read my first German book last year. I have brought so many second hand books back with me that I have enough English books to read. Why would I want to read in German?

I read: Gut gegen Nordwind by Daniel Glattauer - very easy to read. It is about someone who sends an email to cancel a magazine subscription and it land in someone else's mail box - and a friendship ensues. Interestingly enough, the only thing that irked me: They siezt each other until the end of the first book. (I didn't read the second book, because I got lazy again and chose English.)

Pat, that story about Frau Henke Verlag is hilarious. There is a thread on Toytowngermany called: Embarrassing mistakes made speaking German.

That story would go down a bomb if you told it. Also, if/when you have questions regarding dos and don'ts, it would be better to ask over there.

The fact that I am answering here is really a case of: The blind leading the blind. I actually do not have a clue. In other words, I have never learned German in a classroom.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

Got this last text Christmas, can anyone translate???

"viele liebe grube und einen guten schritt ins neue jahr"

and what is the significance of "liebe" here?

i only have about 4 words of German.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭Dr Strange

washman3 wrote: »
    Got this last text Christmas, can anyone translate???

"viele liebe grube und einen guten schritt ins neue jahr"

and what is the significance of "liebe" here?

i only have about 4 words of German.

It means "best wishes and a successful new year"

Word for word it translates as "lots of lovely greetings and a good step into the new year"

"grube" - should be "Grüße". The "b" is actually misread by many. It's what we call sz and is written as "ß". It can be replaced by writing "ss" instead if no ß is available on your keyboard (if writing letters in Word you can always use "Insert" and find it under "Symbols").

• Advertisement

More common is: "Einen guten Rutsch ins neue Jahr" = a good slide into the new year.

From my best knowledge, the expression 'guter Rutsch' is associated to the myth, that you will have loads of fortune if you step into dog poo in the New Year's Night ;)

I read: Gut gegen Nordwind by Daniel Glattauer - very easy to read. It is about someone who sends an email to cancel a magazine subscription and it land in someone else's mail box - and a friendship ensues. Interestingly enough, the only thing that irked me: They siezt each other until the end of the first book. (I didn't read the second book, because I got lazy again and chose English.)

I liked the look of Gut gegen Nordwind and have ordered it on Amazon.de, so that was a useful tip! I'm reading Mieses Karma by David Safier at present. It's not too challenging but the 'Umgangsprache' I find difficult enough. Seems Safier is best-known for his TV scripts - "Berlin, Berlin", "Nikola", "Mein Leben und ich".

Pat, that story about Frau Henke Verlag is hilarious. There is a thread on Toytowngermany called: Embarrassing mistakes made speaking German.

That story would go down a bomb if you told it. Also, if/when you have questions regarding dos and don'ts, it would be better to ask over there.

That's noted thanks. At least I've managed to avoid "Ich bin warm" so far and although I know how to pronounce the Umlauts, I try to avoid using "schwül" just in case.

Ewww or igitt as they say in German - I think the "Rutsch" into the new year has more to do with the season in it rather than having to step on dog's poo hahahha.

I have had many near Rutsches on the 31st Dec.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 ehcor

Me too Orla, but I think it has more to do with the Sekt than with poo.

(It's me, Tap!)

A very non-PC mnemonic for remembering the Schwül (humid) and Schwul (gay) is that the latter does not have any balls.
    Actually that was told to me by an Irish pal living here.
    No offence meant to anyone ...

ehcor wrote: »
    (It's me, Tap!)

Oooooh I have a stalker!!!!

Hiya Tappers. I am grinning away here big time!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 12 ehcor

I don't use either Schwül or Schwul, it's just too dangerous. I prefer to stick with "feucht"

Hi Orla, fancy seeing you here :p

Advertisement