Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Era this house was built?

Options
  • 19-09-2011 7:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,538 ✭✭✭

This house in is Co. Meath. Can anyone confirm the era? I was thinking 40s or 50s. Any other info you might need let me know.both bedrooms contain small cast iron fireplaces, kitchen contains range which heats rads(rads would have been refrofit at a later date). windows are not original either

1D2070A1FCF6433EA792F62241A255AB-0000327166-0002544605-00610L-7C8F6212AF4F49FA8CB1B8A40529E095.jpg

Below is its twin with probably original windows and more defined features with the two tone paint colour
    C55D7B718A6F423F98B28A66101CB0F3-0000327166-0002544608-00721L-503FF50D4DD04346815A04509C0D6D10.png

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭paul71

They look very like land commision houses to me, which would put them into the 1930s.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,538 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

paul71 wrote: »
    They look very like land commision houses to me, which would put them into the 1930s.

cheers,quick wiki explains the land commission act alright, really interesting. how would have the land commission act been relevant to this house being built? would the government have contributed to building this or was the farmer obliged to provide housing?

sorry I know this is more of a historical thing, but just wondering what you mean when you say its a land commission house? thanks

cheers,quick wiki explains the land commission act alright, really interesting. how would have the land commission act been relevant to this house being built? would the government have contributed to building this or was the farmer obliged to provide housing?

sorry I know this is more of a historical thing, but just wondering what you mean when you say its a land commission act? thanks

It actually depends on the era of the land transfer. In the early stages of the land commission 1880 to 1920 it was simply a transfer of title from landlords to tenants so the new owners already had their own homes on the sites.

Later in the 1920s and 1930s the new free state government made a significant effort to repopulate the northeast. Large numbers of people were moved to Meath, Kildare, Westmeath and Cavan from the west. During this era the people were provided with a house, outbuilding, a small landholding, farm impliments (and a sow).

Land commission act was only abolished in 1992.

It actually depends on the era of the land transfer. In the early stages of the land commission 1880 to 1920 it was simply a transfer of title from landlords to tenants so the new owners already had their own homes on the sites.

Later in the 1920s and 1930s the new free state government made a significant effort to repopulate the northeast. Large numbers of people were moved to Meath, Kildare, Westmeath and Cavan from the west. During this era the people were provided with a house, outbuilding, a small landholding, farm impliments (and a sow).

Land commission act was only abolished in 1992.

Thanks for that Paul, really interesting stuff

I always thought so myself, and I agree that this probably belongs in the history thread. The land commission and the social impact of it in Meath and Kildare is a much overlooked fact in Irish History.

I grew up myself on the edge of the Rathcairn Gealtacht which is probably the best know of the lasting effects of the Land commission, but since I see you live in Kildare I wonder if you know that there were several effective gealtacht areas in Kildare too.

There is a small townland between Maynooth and Leixlip which had about 10 Irish speaking families up to as late as the 1980s, Garadice on the Kilcock border of Meath also had an Irish speaking community. Hurling was the dominate sport in the areas surronding Trim until the influx of Mayo, Galway and Kerry people introduced Gaelic Football.

• Advertisement

I always thought so myself, and I agree that this probably belongs in the history thread. The land commission and the social impact of it in Meath and Kildare is a much overlooked fact in Irish History.

I grew up myself on the edge of the Rathcairn Gealtacht which is probably the best know of the lasting effects of the Land commission, but since I see you live in Kildare I wonder if you know that there were several effective gealtacht areas in Kildare too.

There is a small townland between Maynooth and Leixlip which had about 10 Irish speaking families up to as late as the 1980s, Garadice on the Kilcock border of Meath also had an Irish speaking community. Hurling was the dominate sport in the areas surronding Trim until the influx of Mayo, Galway and Kerry people introduced Gaelic Football.

Makes sense, I'm actually originally from Kiltale, about 15mins from Summerhill. I played hurling for Kiltale and football for Moynalvey who are joint parishes (a few mins from Garadice). I had never looked into the background of the Gealtacht in Rathcarn, just thought it had always originally been a gealtacht.

This is one of those "Sure, there ya go now!" conversations heh heh.

Liam Harnan country! Football was An Gealtacht for me and Kildalkey for Hurling.

Back to topic, if you are looking at those houses to buy they are well known to be of a very high quality build. My parents bought and extended a land commission house about 25 years ago, even now we always gather in the old part of the house because it is better insulated.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭Jo King

It has roof tiles rather than slates. I would assume it is 1940's on that basis. Use of slate was universal up to the Second World War.

Advertisement