Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Changing an "analogue" heating timer to a digital one

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Mods - would I perhaps get an answer in the Electrical forum? Please move

Thanks for that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 902 ✭✭✭DoneDL

What is your boiler model, is the timer on the boiler or wall mounted.

Boiler is outside and timer is on the wall in utility room. It's a firebird something or other :confused:

I can`t see any problems with it, there may be variations in the wiring but nothing that cannot be overcome. If there is a pump before the cylinder then its a pumped system. What make and model of programmer do you have at the moment.

Thanks DoneDL

It's a crappy Zahler - like this -

http://www.comparestoreprices.co.uk/images/ba/baxi-24-hour-mechanical-time-kit.jpg

Don't have model number I'm afraid, it's not to the front of it.

System would be - Oil tank > Boiler > Timer Switch > Small little White box (which I think is a pump ???) -
    http://www.bhl.co.uk/product/MYSON_POWEREXTRA_22MM_ZONE_VALVE
    and then the cylinder (upstairs)

What is that little white box? I was told it was a pump and there is one upstairs also, there are two switches alongside the timer that switches these off and on - I leave them on all the time (that what I was told by the builder)

• Advertisement

The little white boxes are zone valves, leaving them on all the time or putting them on an on/off switch is just mad in this day and age. I would look at getting the system updated by adding stats to the heating and hot water when you change the controller. It will easily pay for itself in the oil you save.

I would look at getting the system updated by adding stats to the heating and hot water when you change the controller. It will easily pay for itself in the oil you save.

To the likes of what - can you post a pic of what I should be thinking of upgrading to?

Appreciate the help here.

What exactly do those valve things do? I never switch them off - they are on all the time - are they heavy on the electricity or.....? Is it ok to switch them on/off regularly or...?

They are designed to be part of an interactive heating system. Basically the timer turns the boiler on and these valves are operated by the themostats on the heating or hot water, When the hot water or house are hot enough then the system turns itself off even if the clock is still in the on position. The problem you may have is that there may be only three core to the valves not four as is usual. Operating the on/off switch should not be a problem.

Cheers
    The problem you may have is that there may be only three core to the valves not four as is usual

How would I find that out?

open up the switches and see if you have live, neutral and earth on the in and out to the switch. Power off of course.

• Advertisement
Advertisement