Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mature Student On Rent Supplement?

Options
  • 19-09-2011 8:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭

Hi,

Can any student who is on rent supplement please tell me how long it takes to be approved for it, and what the process is? Also, can you please give me an idea as to how much rent the supplement covers. I will be paying €200 rent per month.

I am on BTEA and i have been told that i will be entitled to it.

Can someone please help me out?

Thanks,
    Maria

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Saoirsef

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭roisin24

i read this info in the link you sent. i am also a mature student on back to education allowance. im paying €250 a month in galway. does this mean i'd be entitled to the rent allowance as well???

''You won’t qualify for Rent Supplement if you:

.....However, if you are getting a Back to Education Allowance or participating in the Back to Education Programme you may be entitled to the Supplement.''

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Saoirsef

You really should go into the social welfare office where you live. Each county has different income limits to qualify for rent supplement. The only way you will know for sure s to apply. They won't pay all your rent, if you work part time you will get less, in other situations if you have not been renting the place you live in at least 6 months you cant apply. You always have to apply for social housing firs and be assessed, they will ask for a reference number when you apply for rent supplement.

I can't tell you if you qualify, or how much they will give you if approved. They were giving me 21 euro a week up to a few months ago :rolleyes::rolleyes:my rents nearly 600 a month!!

So don't bank on it, all i would say is apply and see if you are entitled, but the welfare officer is the only one who can tell you. Its very sticky as with most things we are supposed to be entitled to...

For me I find working part time is the best thing for me, I can depend on that at least.

Advertisement