Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Pint in Galway

Options
  • 19-09-2011 8:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,016 ✭✭✭

Had a good search for a similar thread but could find nothing.

So, with Arthurs day on Thursday, and Guinness drinkers coming out on force, I was just wondering which of our fine establishment's people think provides the best pint.

I personally have found the ones in the Crane, Sea Rd to be the best so far. Although my oul lad swears by Hughes' in Woodquay. I also think there's a couple of spots that have a reputation for a good pints but have dis-improved of late. Thoughts?

**This is not an arthurs day debate...I too dislike the shameful creation of diageo day but will be filling my belly full of porter nonetheless

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭Slozer

Murphys Bar - high street
    Kennedys - Eyre Sq
    Donnellys -Barna
    Hughes - Spiddal

All have excellent pints

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Aye, Murphy's for me too.
    Most of the old man pubs have good Guinness.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭ErnieBert

Dew Drop
    Taaffees
    Cottage

• Registered Users Posts: 6,016 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

ErnieBert wrote: »
    Dew Drop
    Taaffees
    Cottage

That's what I was referring to in the OP. I was brought to the Dew drop a few years ago for my first Guinness being assured that it was the best pint in Galway. However, I thought it hasn't been great in the past couple of years. Same goes for Taffes.

Other bars that deserves a mention is E-Brun (lovely bar) near the Garda station, and McSwiggans if purely for the €3 prices. I'd also agree with the couple that said Murphy's

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

The 'aul shtock' pubs like Hughes and Murphys have beautiful pints of Guinness, they're like cream.

The Bunch of Grapes and E-Brun have solid pints too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

Agree with E-Brun and Kennedys. Also Muddys when they actually have beer.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭inisboffin

Agree with E-Brun and Kennedys. Also Muddys when they actually have beer.
    E Brún for sure
    The Crane
    Garavans
    Neachtains daytime, Freeneys too.

Had one of the worst pints of G ever in Muddys though!

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭The Belcher

Murphys is normally very good but some weekends the standard does drop (I mean every few weeks) but I would never say they were bad or anything, just not as nice as normal.
    I tried McSwiggans 3euro pints and thought they were rotten to be honest. Taffes does not have nice guinness full stop, you might find it okay once in a while but regularly they are not good.
    I have found Galway city to be very poor for consistantly nice guinness. If I had to rate them in order in Galway city for both quality and consistancy of usually nice pints, I would have....

1. O' Connells
    2. PJ Flahertys (Lower Salthill)
    3. Murphys
    4. The Crane
    5. Trappers

1. O' Connells
    3. Murphys
    4. The Crane
    5. Trappers

forgot about PJ's - nice pint but haven't been in for years!

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭The Belcher

inisboffin wrote: »
    forgot about PJ's - nice pint but haven't been in for years!

Great spot, lived across the road from it for 8 years, I still go drinking back there every few weeks and Guinness always superb. I used to love the old Cottage beside it also until they changed it and made it a kind of trendy spot. The Guinness was excellent there too but I haven't tried it since it changed years ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,016 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

Murphys is normally very good but some weekends the standard does drop (I mean every few weeks) but I would never say they were bad or anything, just not as nice as normal.
    I tried McSwiggans 3euro pints and thought they were rotten to be honest. Taffes does not have nice guinness full stop, you might find it okay once in a while but regularly they are not good.
    I have found Galway city to be very poor for consistantly nice guinness. If I had to rate them in order in Galway city for both quality and consistancy of usually nice pints, I would have....

1. O' Connells
    3. Murphys
    4. The Crane
    5. Trappers

I hate saying it because it's one of the nicest pubs in Galway, but along with the Dew Drop and Taffes, I haven't found O'Connells pints great in the past couple of years. I haven't been there in 6 months though so i'll give it another go on Thursday.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

Consistency is a big problem everywhere since Guinness/Diageo started doing their own lines.
    In the old days when a publican looked after his/her beer it was was good. If they didnt they didnt get customers.

Suppose we have to move with the times :-(

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭Keyser Söze

McSwiggans do a great pint, imo the best in galway, but its not a place i would normally go.

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭Shanley

+1 For Kennedys

Only €3 all week too!

• Registered Users Posts: 34 JJpedro

Hi,

I would agree with Kennedys , They have a lovely point, only €3 always , staff are very friendly. Tourists love the place

• Registered Users Posts: 1,752 ✭✭✭markesmith

I like the Guinness in McAlinden's on Dominic Street. Honorable mention also for O'Connell's, my local with work.

Surprised Neachtain's isn't mentioned here though - you don't rate it?

I love the Guinness in the Crane, but always feel like I have to be very quiet in there :o

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Surfacezebra

Neachtains Good pint if you can handle the rude staff,Dew drop great pint and staff and also Murphys is good.But top marks must go to the salt house on all counts
    :pac:

markesmith wrote: »
    Surprised Neachtain's isn't mentioned here though - you don't rate it?

I love the Guinness in the Crane, but always feel like I have to be very quiet in there :o

I did mention Neachtains (daytime is better):D

I think it's nice to have at least 'singers' pub like The Crane, and it can get rowdy enough between songs! I've been in there for some mental nights.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭Galwayps

Agree with most of the Pubs especially O connells and Murphys. The Kings Head taps along the bar as you walk in are decent.
    Cookes Thatch Pub definitely but I will go against opinion here and say I think the Crane pints are not great and I would sample them every few weeks

Advertisement