Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broke tail light on O'Connell street.Is it a joke or art?

Options
  • 19-09-2011 9:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭

I was walking down O'Connell Street last night and happened upon one of those art display cases,like the one they keep the Jesus statue in.

The case was brightly lit up, and was displaying a broken piece of a Mercedez Benz tail light. Is this part of contemporary arts dublin , or it a joke? Hard to tell. Has anyone else seen it?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭Rodger_Muir

I've been wondering the same thing for a while. I think its a contemporary art piece, (or maybe its just like the **** plaque on O'Connell Bridge) the display case has been there for some time. I think there was a wine bottle in it previously. I think there is also a link listed somewhere on the case. I keep meaning to jot it down but never do. If you find out anymore let me know.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Sandraf

Me Jewel & Darlin'

Google says ....

Public artwork, commissioned by Dublin City Council

O'Connell Street, Dublin

4 September - 31 December 2011

Me Jewel & Darlin’ is a public artwork on O’Connell Street, Dublin. Inside a display case positioned metres north of the Spire of Dublin, an exhibition programme showcases images and artefacts selected by artist Sean Lynch that evoke a variety of the city's artistic and social histories. Following displays of artworks by Harry Clarke and Danny McCarthy, the next presentation is unveiled in September 2011, consisting of a fragment of a tail light from a BMW car, found in a scrapyard in Clondalkin, west Dublin, earlier this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Avns1s

Sandraf wrote: »
    Me Jewel & Darlin'

Google says ....

O'Connell Street, Dublin

Me Jewel & Darlin’ is a public artwork on O’Connell Street, Dublin. Inside a display case positioned metres north of the Spire of Dublin, an exhibition programme showcases images and artefacts selected by artist Sean Lynch that evoke a variety of the city's artistic and social histories. Following displays of artworks by Harry Clarke and Danny McCarthy, the next presentation is unveiled in September 2011, consisting of a fragment of a tail light from a BMW car, found in a scrapyard in Clondalkin, west Dublin, earlier this year.

And some muppet will probably come along and pay €80,000 so they can display it on their mantlepiece after the exhibition. The mind boggles!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Andrew33

I suppose a broken Merc/Bmw/Lexus taillight is very symbolic of what has happened to the country in the past few years.
    That's what I see anyway!

Thanks Sandraf, would you mind putting up the link please.

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 652 ✭✭✭jeckle

Don't be afraid to Google it yourself Me Jewel & Darlin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

Andrew33 wrote: »
    I suppose a broken Merc/Bmw/Lexus taillight is very symbolic of what has happened to the country in the past few years.

Thats what I thought it might have symbolised!I hate that type of analyis o celtic tiger. You'd swear we were all able to afford expensive cars and hav ethis lavish lifestyle. The reality was much differnt for most of us.

, consisting of a fragment of a tail light from a BMW car, found in a scrapyard in Clondalkin, west Dublin, earlier this year.

Yawn. Its all a bit obvious isn't it

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Pretty Polly

Me Jewel & Darlin'

Google says ....

O'Connell Street, Dublin

Passed it this evening going home...now i'd hardly call it artwork. It just looks like junk imo!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

Andrew33 wrote: »
    Yes, and the fact that the council is paying someone a presumably ridiculously large amount of money for it is even more symbolic :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

Passed it this evening going home...now i'd hardly call it artwork. It just looks like junk imo!

+1 Never thought id say this but bring back the Jesus statue, all is forgiven!!

panda100 wrote: »
    +1 Never thought id say this but bring back the Jesus statue, all is forgiven!!

Its still there unfortunatly :(
    I think the Taxi drivers put it up. The Jesus statue. I wish they'd take it down

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Pretty Polly

The Jesus Statue is back! :)

The Jesus Statue is back! :)

Did it ever go away??

Advertisement