Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trade qualifications.

Options
  • 19-09-2011 9:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭

Im going to Australia in November, I qualified as a carpenter in july and still waiting on my certificate from fas. My only concern is when I get there is that is my Irish qualification recognised or do I need to do some form of an exam? Also I have a ticket to drive a loadall here but not sure if it works over. Cant seem to find answers on google so if any of ye know Id be grateful to here.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭aido79

You won't be asked for any qualifications to work as a carpenter over here. You'll probably have to learn to love formwork though as there doesn't seem to be much happening with the likes of first and second fixing carpentry. As for the ticket for the loadall. It might as well be a ticket for a ride on lawnmower. They don't recognise tickets from any other country.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Smac!

yeh i heard ya havto transfer your papers into a licence or something!wat way is it for plumbers or any other trade>?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭evosteo

electricians need to gain an electrical licence relavent to the provence that they will be working i.e a WA electrical licence,

you need to do a course and pass some exams to gain this licence,

not quite sure what it is for carpenters

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭s.c

You don't need to worry about getting your qualifications recognised over here unless you're applying for another visa.
    When you start work, they won't be long finding out if you're a carpenter or not. And as said above, formwork carpentry is the main type of work for carpenters here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭primastar

Is there an age limit as regards skilled visas ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

Yes 45

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭primastar

Does an Irish C truck licence hold merit there?

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭sponge_bob

primastar wrote: »
    Does an Irish C truck licence hold merit there?

afaik you will have to do a course and then pass a test. your licence has no relevence over there.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 willa25

aido79 wrote: »
    You won't be asked for any qualifications to work as a carpenter over here. You'll probably have to learn to love formwork though as there doesn't seem to be much happening with the likes of first and second fixing carpentry. As for the ticket for the loadall. It might as well be a ticket for a ride on lawnmower. They don't recognise tickets from any other country.

Hi,
    Going off the point slightly here. I am 40 doing carpentry for past 20 years.
    Planning on moving to Oz after Xmas but dont have any qualifications. Will I get in at all because all visa applications have section for educational qualifications. Do they make any exceptions for experience over qualifications.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

You can do a skills assessment in relation to your skills look on the FAQ there is a link to assessing bodies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28 willa25

checked out TRA and still cant figure out whether i need qualifications or not.
    I am self employed and thought experience might stand for something.Have emailed several agencies and no replies yet.
    Cant stay in this country, wife and 3 kids and being self employed means getting peanuts from social welfare:(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

Yeah I think you definitely have to have something in your hand.

I have read many times that someone with no formal qualifications requires to get themselves assessed to AQFIII, AQFIII is the Australian equivalent of FETAC National Craft Certificate or City and Guilds level 3.

There has been a few guys on here talking about this obtaining AQFIII in plastering in England and the price was €2500+, I am not sure about a carpenter but imagine it to much the same.

also at the age of 40 you are definitely going need superior level in the English test to get the points to qualify.

I would be contacting a reputable MARA migration agent for a professional consultation.

** Just remembered the TRA use VETASSESS to do the assessments in Ireland & UK. I think you would get more information there.

http://www.vetassess.com.au/migrate_to_australia/assess_my_trade_skills.cfm

Advertisement