Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mills & Boon Competition

• 19-09-2011 10:19pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,775 ✭✭✭

If anyone is interested, Mills & Boon are holding their New Voices competition at the moment. Entry is free. You submit the first chapter of a romance novel (various categories, including suspence, paranormal, contempory, historical, passion etc) and get ratings and comments.

If you get through to the second round, you submit your second chapter. Third round is a pivotal moment. All three chapters must not exceed 10,000 words.

If anyone is interested, this is my entry http://www.romanceisnotdead.com/Users/538.398163. If you don't want to enter, would you consider commenting?

And if you do enter, let me know and I'll comment on yours.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 273 ✭✭Toasterspark

Hmm, as a guy, dare I attempt a Mills and Boon story?

Will have a read of your story in a bit Eileen. You're on a roll lately so this might be chapter 2 of your book career (pun intended).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,775 ✭✭✭EileenG

Yes, guys can enter. I know one other guy who is entering under his own name, and there are probably several who enter under initials so you can't tell.

My story is a whodunnit as well as a romance, so it doesn't have the hero and heroine leaping at (or away from) each other in the first chapter, which might go against me. We'll see.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

That page is so pink it hurts!
    I think M&B is just a little too far outside of my range for me to enjoy this. I did try - twice - but the lords and ladies and matrons and scullery maids soon had my eyes glazing over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭Antilles

A few months back I fell asleep on the train and woke up with a fully formed plot for a chic-lit story in my head. I wrote it all down in case I ever go insane and decide to write in that genre but I don't think I'd be brave enough to try on this occasion :)

You only have to write a chapter. And they do have other genres (romantic suspense etc) so not necessarily dukes and scullery maids.

• Advertisement

I looked at the FAQ. If they like your first chapter you have to write more! :eek:

Hey, if you can write a really good first chapter, a second one should be a piece of cake.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 164 ✭✭pops

Sounds like fun - I couldn't see when entries have to be in by? Also I couldn't read your entry Eileen, do you have to register first?

You might have to register. It's just an e-mail address one, no details required.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

You just have to click on the link that is pink:
    http://www.romanceisnotdead.com/Entries/257-A-Dangerous-Deception/Chapter-One

Oh man, what if Dr. Seuss wrote romantic fiction? It's almost freaky enough to work.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 342 ✭✭JaneHudson

Oh wow I have to enter, this looks like too much fun...

Maybe I should actually read one first to see what's expected. Looks like they have some free ones on their website!

You could read mine. Apart from being in the hero's pov rather than the heroine's, it's pretty typical of a M&B opening chapter.

The main thing is to get up your romance and your conflict in the first chapter, and forget the backstory and other crap.

EileenG wrote: »
    You could read mine. Apart from being in the hero's pov rather than the heroine's, it's pretty typical of a M&B opening chapter.

The main thing is to get up your romance and your conflict in the first chapter, and forget the backstory and other crap.

Will do thanks. I'll try and do feedback as well but I'm (as yet) pretty ignorant about this genre of writing.

I think the main thing is the same as any other genre. It should be well written, and interesting to read. The fact that you know it's going to end with a happy ever after (or at least, happy for now) rather than a sea of dead bodies is a minor detail.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 164 ✭✭pops

I went through a six month phase of reading Mills & Boon back-to-back when I was 15. It sounds like good fun and not bad experience either.

I think the main thing is the same as any other genre. It should be well written, and interesting to read. The fact that you know it's going to end with a happy ever after (or at least, happy for now) rather than a sea of dead bodies is a minor detail.

Just because there's a sea of dead bodies doesn't mean there isn't a happy ever after.

e.g. http://www.burningbuilding.com/zombie.htm

There are lots of paranormal romances where they have their HEA over a sea of dead bodies.

There are lots of paranormal romances where they have their HEA over a sea of dead bodies.

'HEA'? Is that something smutty? :eek:

I enjoyed your story all right but it definitely isn't a genre I'd read much of. I thought I'd be bored but it makes very easy reading, after a few minutes I was surprised I had already reached the end of the chapter. I liked the suspense and plot development.

Thank you.

HEA = happy ever after.

or you could have

HFN = happy for now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭indough

Is it worth submitting anything that isn't romantic fantasy crap or would I be wasting my time? It's just that I have something a bit grittier in the works and was wondering if it would be any bit suitable. I've never read one of these books but i'm guessing they always have a happy ending?

• Advertisement

It's worth entering, just to get feedback. M&B does have to be a romance (strong male/female plotline) but doesn't have to have a wedding or happy ever after.

Free entry, what can it hurt to enter? And it might be a useful exercise to rewrite your first chapter so it's pitched at M&B. I'm hoping to sell my book to Ellora's Cave or Samhain, not M&B, but it's still fun to enter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭indough

It's worth entering, just to get feedback. M&B does have to be a romance (strong male/female plotline) but doesn't have to have a wedding or happy ever after.

Free entry, what can it hurt to enter? And it might be a useful exercise to rewrite your first chapter so it's pitched at M&B. I'm hoping to sell my book to Ellora's Cave or Samhain, not M&B, but it's still fun to enter.

Good advice, i'll give it a go

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 MaggiePican

Thanks to Eileen, decided to give this competition a go too- I 'd love some feedback from anyone who would like to have a read...here's my entry:
    http://www.romanceisnotdead.com/Entries/1198-Fresh-Start

Haven't written anything in ages and I'm unreasonably excited at having actually entered...wild thoughts about winning an Ipad are flying around my brain...LOL

God loves a dreamer...

I left a short comment and gave you a bunch of roses.

I enjoyed reading it, you've got a very easy style. It might have been better to leave some of the backstory for later in the story, rather than putting so much in the first chapter. Who is the hero? None of the men in it jumped out at me as hero material.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭Kinski

I know I'm not the target audience for this sort of thing, but I'd find it very hard to develop any sympathy for a character who saw fit to name her daughter 'Pia'! :pac:

Well-written though.

Just out of curiosity, what happens to the rights to publish a Mills & Boon when the print run ends? I understand that their titles only stay on the shelves for a month, and any unsold copies are then returned to the publisher and pulped. Is the author entitled to publish the work again after that?

Kinski wrote: »
    I know I'm not the target audience for this sort of thing, but I'd find it very hard to develop any sympathy for a character who saw fit to name her daughter 'Pia'! :pac:

Well-written though.

Thanks but ah feck- you wouldn't believe how long it took to come up with 'Pia':o
    I left a short comment and gave you a bunch of roses.

I enjoyed reading it, you've got a very easy style. It might have been better to leave some of the backstory for later in the story, rather than putting so much in the first chapter. Who is the hero? None of the men in it jumped out at me as hero material.

Thanks Eileen- I know my hero is crap, but sure it's just a bit of fun entering anyway- btw it's supposed to be Harry, but he somehow became a footnote in the bad editing process...LOL

Thanks but ah feck- you wouldn't believe how long it took to come up with 'Pia':o

Haha, it might just be me! But still, I'm imagining a confident, smartly-dressed young woman marching into a job interview one day, and immediately blowing it by going, "Hello, my name is Pia."

Haha, it might just be me! But still, I'm imagining a confident, smartly-dressed young woman marching into a job interview one day, and immediately blowing it by going, "Hello, my name is Pia."

Ahem, er, well, you might have a point...but it's better than... erm, God I'm bad with names!:P

I've left a comment on yours too, Eileen, hadn't read it before as I didn't want to be influenced but I didn't realise it was a historical one so I could have and actually should have- yours appeared to be actually well edited and looked like something actually published.

• Advertisement

Thanks Eileen- I know my hero is crap, but sure it's just a bit of fun entering anyway- btw it's supposed to be Harry, but he somehow became a footnote in the bad editing process...LOL

The trouble is that Luc is introduced first, and comes across more strongly as a character. I did wonder if it was reconciliation romance, but he sounded like a bit of a bastard, so I wasn't sure.

Just out of curiosity, what happens to the rights to publish a Mills & Boon when the print run ends? I understand that their titles only stay on the shelves for a month, and any unsold copies are then returned to the publisher and pulped. Is the author entitled to publish the work again after that?

As far as I know, M&B have a standard contract, the same as any other publisher. Rights revert to the author after a number of years, not months. Don't forget, their books are all available as e-books long after they are gone off the shelves.

Didn't know they kept the ebooks up. But that's only a recent thing anyway. Must have been a real pain in the past - a writer spending more time writing a book than it spent on sale!

Most books are only on sale for six months before they're pulped anyway. And M&B tend to sell well while they are on sale because everyone knows they will be changed in a month. I'd be delighted to get a contract with M&B.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 714 ✭✭✭Livvie

If anyone is interested, Mills & Boon are holding their New Voices competition at the moment. Entry is free. You submit the first chapter of a romance novel (various categories, including suspence, paranormal, contempory, historical, passion etc) and get ratings and comments.

If you get through to the second round, you submit your second chapter. Third round is a pivotal moment. All three chapters must not exceed 10,000 words.

If anyone is interested, this is my entry http://www.romanceisnotdead.com/Users/538.398163. If you don't want to enter, would you consider commenting?

And if you do enter, let me know and I'll comment on yours.

Will certainly comment, Eileen.

Only just seen this thread.

Had a look at the site, and can't see any closing date or rules?

Has M&B changed at all - do they want out and out romance, or just an element of it?

Thanks to Eileen, decided to give this competition a go too- I 'd love some feedback from anyone who would like to have a read...here's my entry:
    http://www.romanceisnotdead.com/Entries/1198-Fresh-Start

Haven't written anything in ages and I'm unreasonably excited at having actually entered...wild thoughts about winning an Ipad are flying around my brain...LOL

God loves a dreamer...

Will comment on yours too, Maggie.

Can't wait to get home from work now, and get stuck in. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 264 ✭✭harrythehat

I've never read any M and B, would I be wasting my time to try writing for it. I've never been much of a romance writer either but I'm looking to get out of my comfort zone a bit!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 264 ✭✭harrythehat

Just noticed the deadline is yesterday :(

Livvie wrote: »
    Has M&B changed at all - do they want out and out romance, or just an element of it?

Pity about the closing date.

M&B have different genres, and while some are traditional boy meets girl romance, some like the paranormal, have a strong adventure plot with only an element of romance.

Pity about the closing date.

M&B have different genres, and while some are traditional boy meets girl romance, some like the paranormal, have a strong adventure plot with only an element of romance.

Closed for comments too?

Don't think so. I got a new comment today.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

This sounds like great fun! I would have been half-tempted to give it a go if I'd known about it sooner and wasn't so bogged down in college work.

Advertisement