Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Great Dane Let Loose in the Estate

• 19-09-2011 10:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭

Hi

I bring my golden retriever for a walk most nights in the estate after about 9pm and there's no one about.

However, a man in the estate owns a great dane. (the size of a horse). This thing actually gallops towards you.

Tonight is now the third time it has attacked my dog. I am so scared when it happens that god forbid it would attack myself or my mum!

We told him it's beyond ridiculous at this stage and that he should be put on a leash to which he basically told us to f*ck off.

We're raging now. Does anyone know what action we can take here?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Call the council, inform dog warden

It may take several calls before you get any action

Don't bother taking to the owner again,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

If you've already said it to him the next step would be to contact the dog warden.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Cheeky_gal

Can it be done anonymously?

This guy is a very shady character.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

Jez. It's depressing the numbers of irresponsible dog owners in this country. Great Danes are lovely dogs but like all breeds in the wrong hands can do alot of damage. It sound like this dog is in the wrong hands.

I'm sure the dog warden will keep your details out of the matter. It would be best if the warden caught the person in the act. If he is allowing his dog to wander freely it's only a matter of time before he is caught.

When you say a shady character what do you mean?

Bullseye1 wrote: »
    Jez. It's depressing the numbers of irresponsible dog owners in this country. Great Danes are lovely dogs but like all breeds in the wrong hands can do alot of damage. It sound like this dog is in the wrong hands.

I'm sure the dog warden will keep your details out of the matter. It would be best if the warden caught the person in the act. If he is allowing his dog to wander freely it's only a matter of time before he is caught.

When you say a shady character what do you mean?

Yes he walks freely around but with the owner with him like. But he ran for our dog tonight and started trying to bite his neck, seriously aggressive, and the owner didn't even run or do anything. My mum was holding onto me with fear that's how big and vicious this dog is like.

And the reason I call him a shady character is because he was so rude to my mum and brother. We said to him "Jesus your dog is extremely dangerous he should be on a lead" and he replied "i know it's f*cking ridiculous" without even stopping or making eye contact. He just appears to be very rough.. hence I asked can we do this anonymously.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,974 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

This reminds me of two things I came accross recently, I was in the Park yesterday and saw a woman walking in the bushes with a small horse....wait a minute it was actually a great Dane, she called over about my dog and asked is it a male or a female, when I said he was male she said "oh dont come close he would tear him apart" which i thought was a bit extream but came away with with one thing on my mind, Great Danes are Huge.

the other thing happend tonight and seems to happen every night, I was walking my dog and there is this one house on our way back home that seem to leave their Scottish Terrier in their front garden, unsupervised and with no front gate:eek: Every time I walk around that way the thing starts barking and runs over at us, now its a little different from the OP post as this thing is small and my dog is really big but the Terriers owners should take better care of it, there are foxes around that area and although my guy can tolerate being barked at other dogs may not. The owner eventually came out tonight and called the dog back in to its garden but its really irresponsible.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Winston79

Happens in our street to, there are a number of dogs just let out of the front door to roam the streets. One small dog bit one of my dogs on the back leg last week. I got my dogs home and went to find the owner to tell him his dog bit my dog, he just called in his dog and shut the door. There must be 6or 7 dogs running about unsupervised, bloody disgraceful.

And in the end who pays for it? The dogs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

Bit more detail on the "attack"?

she called over about my dog and asked is it a male or a female, when I said he was male she said "oh dont come close he would tear him apart" which i thought was a bit extream but came away with with one thing on my mind, Great Danes are Huge.

Yes I've heard they are very vicious with dogs of the same sex. They're seriously frightening creatures! A size of a horse is right!

Wolfe Tone wrote: »
    Bit more detail on the "attack"?

We passed him twice on our walk. Both times he was in the distance and when he saw our dog walking towards him he galloped towards us and went straight upto my dog and attacked him. He tried to bite his neck from behind. My dog didn't fight back, he just barked and barked as my brother tried to pull him away from the Great Dane on the lead.

My dog is a huge golden retriever and even he looked like a baby beside this beast. The owner just shouted the Great Dane's name as he casually walked towards us, the Great Dane didn't stop. He kept galloping off then running back towards my dog until at this stage his owner was approaching and then he stopped.

Same thing happened on the way back from the walk.

The owner didn't give a toss. Very arrogant and ignorant man!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭ppink

Did he injure your dog?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

Cheeky_gal wrote: »
    Yes I've heard they are very vicious with dogs of the same sex. They're seriously frightening creatures! A size of a horse is right!

While there can be exceptions, and you have clearly met one of them, on the whole Great Danes are extremely gentle dogs, male or female. I always think of them as a dog crossed with a cow, due to the size, the look of the harlequins and their slow, placid temperament. Their size and loud howly bark can make them appear terrifying but mostly they aren't aggressive.

The dog on your estate is aggressive as a product of bad ownership, not his breed. Meeting such a powerful dog who is aggressive must be terrifying and I do suggest you contact the dog warden or the local Gardaí about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭christramp

I had a problem with a boxer terrorising my wife and child as they walked to school and then it started coming onto my property to kill my kids chickens, we live in a rural farming community. I confronted the owner - she could not care, I called the warden on over 10 occasions and he said unless he sees it he could not do anything - but he left a "note" for the owner who of course did not reply. Even if he caught the dog and pounded it the owner still had 48 hours to reclaim the dog from the pound. I called the guards several times and they had words but could not enforce anything, I contacted a solicitor who said it would not be worth the cost to pursue. In the end I spoke to the guards and to the owner and informed them all that I would kill the dog on site if I caught it on my property (Im an animal lover but I love my kids more than a crazed dog that has the taste of blood). It had already killed 6 of my kids hens on seperate occasions before this.
    The guards told me that it was my right and the owner seemed to understand at last and the dog has been moved on. Im not suggesting this (especially with a great dane and a dodgy character) but I just wanted to let you know how lengthy and frustrating the process is. If the guards get involved your identity will be revealed.
    Having said this she now has a terrier pup that is now running loose, I will protect my kids again if this dog comes onto my property.
    I really hope you can find another way to resolve your situation

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

It is ridiculous but there is in fact very little you can do about it OP. As other posters have said the Dog Warden can do nothing about it unless they see him in action. The Gardai rarely/never get involved in cases like this, unless a person is bitten.

I know exactly what you are going through, I have a Boxer who loves dogs, cats, people, everyone but my neighbours have a St. Bernard, whom the regularly leave out to roam around on his own, I have seen this dog on a number of occasions display serious aggression to other dogs, my mam is afraid to walk our Boxer because of him, he will bound over to you and start barking and growling I however will stand my ground and stare at him, I know you might say that this is not the brightest thing in the world to do, but I refuse to be intimidated by him, he eventually gets the picture and strolls on. It doesn't help that the owners seem to like the fact that he is aggressive and try to intimidate other people with him. Once my friend was holding her boyfriends rottie and her rottie cross outside my house we were taking them for a walk, their eldest daughter who is sixteen walked through the estate and saw her, she practically ran inside and brought the St. Bernard out and stood there while he barked and growled and my friend and the dogs with a smirk on her face as if to say my dog is scarier than yours. As soon as I walked out she disappeared.

These are the type of people who have the dogs they have just to show off, and in your case OP intimidate, possibly the worst kind of dog owners because I believe they have no good intentions whatsoever, it is all about image for them. A prime example of this is the last dog the St. Bernard owners had, he was a mixed breed, not fancy enough for them and was left to die a slow and painful death to cancer tied up to a chain in their back yard.

My advice to you, try not to be too intimidated obviously this guy likes the fact that both him and his dog are intimidating to other people. I know thats easier said than done when you have something that large attacking you but in all honesty it's the best course of action with both aggressive dogs and humans in my experience. Once they have you feeling scared it usually goes all down hill from there.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 318 ✭✭chris139ryan

i would certainly agree with what meoklmrk91 has said.Normally dogs that show that type of aggression are all show and trying to scare you away so they become dominant, just stand your ground and show the dog whos boss, iv done this with countless dogs, rotties, staffs, doberman, wolf hybrids, belgian shepards just to name a few and it all works the same with these showie dogs that think their the **** cause they are big and can bark, the ones you need to be wary of are the quiet dogs that wont back off as they are more likely to attack. thats just my experience.

Advertisement