Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Timber Frame housing - Cavity Insulation option/

• 19-09-2011 11:25pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭

Can one have the cavity filled in a timber frame house to make it insulated? Maybe with Polystyrene beads or the likes?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Sorry Mods, perhaps this would be better off in Housebuilding/Construction, will you please move it? Thanks

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Your timber frame needs air to breath, so that wouldn't be a good idea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,408 ✭✭✭dathi

go to the seai website publications section passive house retrofit and it shows how to fill a timber frame cavity with beads in conjunction with external insulation on page 35 or 36

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

dathi wrote: »
    go to the seai website publications section passive house retrofit and it shows how to fill a timber frame cavity with beads in conjunction with external insulation on page 35 or 36

So the timber frame will have no air circulation then? Can't see how this can be on SEAI site as they should know the consequences.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,408 ✭✭✭dathi

well its there in the passive house retrofit doc. mosart were the consultants so i cant see them putting in any thing that wont stand up to wufu.

• Advertisement

well its there in the passive house retrofit doc. mosart were the consultants so i cant see them putting in any thing that wont stand up to wufu.

Maybe they have changed their opinion on it, but Clarke Homes who did ours said it was never to be done, that the timber wouldn't be able to breath, would sweat and then rot.

I wont be chancing it anyway :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Could the insulation beading not be of some type of breathable material? will check on seai website. thanks

vicwatson wrote: »
    Could the insulation beading not be of some type of breathable material? will check on seize website. thanks

Tbh I don't know. I am just an owner who did a bit of reading about it when I was building my own TF :D

So take what I say with a pinch of salt but suss it out anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭gman2k

http://www.seai.ie/Publications/Renewables_Publications/Passive_House_Retrofit_Guidelines.pdf

Advertisement