Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Remapping's bad? Well, BMW are doing it now.

• 20-09-2011 12:01am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭

Yup, you can now have your 135, 335, or X6 with the same engine remapped by BMW.

http://www.autoblog.com/2011/09/19/bmw-announces-new-power-kits-for-135i-and-335i/

Is this the start of something new? Manufacturers deciding what everyone else has been doing is now suddently an additional revenue stream and should be capitalised on?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,741 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Volkswagen has been doing it for donkeys years :D

I believe they use mysterious red letters in the mapping process

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Mitsubishi and Subaru have been doing this with the Evo and STi for a while too. Power upgrades from the factory, nice to have these things covered under warranty though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,309 ✭✭✭VolvoMan

Volvo also do it with Polestar.

The upgrades are warranty approved and offered through the dealer network (although not in Ireland as you would expect).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,741 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

I seem to remember Toyota started offering this as well over here, some years ago. Colm_mcm posted about it at the time

Interesting way of generating some extra revenue. As bazz26 said, only a manufacturer / dealer remap will keep the car under warranty, so they can charge a nice premium for that over a regular indy remapper

And no doubt they'll offer the remap only in countries / markets where the (small) remap will have no chance of doing any damage whatsoever. Countries with moderate climates, like Ireland, are ideal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,699 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

Saab used to do it as well. You could get the 1.8t (150ps) upgraded to the same power as the 2.0t (175ps) by the dealer, for less than the factory cost as there was no VRT on the dealer fit option.

Fully warranted by Saab.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

And while Ford don't do it themselves I believe they allow you to keep your warranty if the remapping is done by Mountune.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭voxpop

The vag cars with special red letters:pac: do have different components , i.e. injectors,turbos and intercoolers - its not just taking a 90bhp golf and remapping it to 130 or 150

On what bmw are doing - 20 horses for 600 quid is a bit steep (on a turbo'ed car) but I suppose the warranty is all important

Advertisement