Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying alcohol for minors

Options
  • 20-09-2011 12:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭

Is it wrong or right? I recently got caught by my mammy buying alcohol for my sister (who's 15) and some of her friends.
    As I'm fully grown, I can't really get in trouble with my mam about this but I did question if I was doing the right thing. Have any of your siblings asked you for alcohol? I'm a sensible sort and drink in moderation and didn't drink while I was underage either and I can't really see the harm in it. :)
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

Its illegal...

Go figure...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,938 ✭✭✭mackg

I asked people do it for me when I was that age so I would do it for people underage now, people I know mind you not random people on the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Is it wrong or right? I recently got caught by my mammy buying alcohol for my sister (who's 15) and some of her friends.
    As I'm fully grown, I can't really get in trouble with my mam about this but I did question if I was doing the right thing. Have any of your siblings asked you for alcohol? I'm a sensible sort and drink in moderation and didn't drink while I was underage either and I can't really see the harm in it. :)

No, but if the law catches you you'll be fined some ridiculous sum of money. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

Part of being a kid is trying to figure out how to get booze.

By getting it for your sister you are merely handicapping her possible creativity.

Shame on you OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭Seachmall

People did it for me when I was younger but I wouldn't do it for someone else. Just couldn't be arsed really. In saying that kids are going to drink and it'd be safer if they did it in a place with adults present rather than having them crossing a rotten and disused train track bridge to drink under it. 6 feet from a fast moving river. With no barriers. In the dead of night.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭brummytom

I turned 18 just over 2 weeks ago. I was amazed by how many new 16 friends I made the next day....

Yeah, I bought drinks for them. But I kept the change, so I didn't do it out of the goodness of my heart.
    (These were kids from my school, I don't know them though)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,813 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

As I'm fully grown
    This was the bit I'd question the most.

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭stacexD

In fairness, if it was a once off thing or her first time drinking it's better that you got her drink than the randomer that she would have asked to buy her a 70cl of vodka later. At least (I assume) you bought her what she can handle and since you know already she will come to you if she gets in any trouble.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 334 ✭✭Elbi

I would often buy it for my brother and his mates when he was under age but that was for them to sit at home and drink while i was in the house.

Now and then I would be asked to by if for random kids hanging around outside the off-licence but I def never would. I'd worry they could go off, get utterly hammered and something could happen to them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

You should not encourage her to lie to her mother, providing drink for her and her friends is stupid. Will you accept the blame if something happens to them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Seachmall wrote: »
    People did it for me when I was younger but I wouldn't do it for someone else. Just couldn't be arsed really. In saying that kids are going to drink and it'd be safer if they did it in a place with adults present rather than having them crossing a rotten and disused train track bridge to drink under it. 6 feet from a fast moving river. With no barriers. In the dead of night.
    I was in that situation a few times, beside the canal in dead of night with a keg or two stolen off the train:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,938 ✭✭✭mackg

Part of being a kid is trying to figure out how to get booze.

By getting it for your sister you are merely handicapping her possible creativity.

Shame on you OP.

It's 90% sheer perseverance IMO, most creative thing we did was get the booze from a cash and carry. Got loads of it for nearly nothing and they didn't even think to ask for ID. Opened the first few cans and the shades showed up and took the lot and brought us to the station:(

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭stacexD

hondasam wrote: »
    You should not encourage her to lie to her mother, providing drink for her and her friends is stupid. Will you accept the blame if something happens to them.
    Fact is the kid is gonna drink whether her sister buys it or she gets it another way. If you ever drank when you were younger you'd know that the people whos family were aware of them drinking usually got on better than those who didn't, most of my friends parents, although they didn't encourage the drinking would call a few times during the day to check in because they knew well what was going on.. and they were always the ones that were made to go home by a certain time.
    Then there were the other ones who kept it a secret asking random people to buy them drink (and the kind of random people that will buy a 15 year old drink don't usually care about them) they usually just lied to their parents about staying in peoples houses and all that and would stay in town till all hours.
    Just saying it's good that her sister knows what's happening once it's a once off. Having someone to look out for you goes a long way when you're a drunk 15 year old

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

My mother used to buy mine from I was 15ish. When we were going to discos and such she was the only parent who actually knew what her kids were drinking. I was never the one who had to be carried home/brought into hospital either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

They've had a tough time in Wales recently.

F*ck it, buy those miners booze.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭Mits

Buying drink for underage kids is irresponsible. You should have be looking out for your sister not putting her in danger.
    If your old enough you are sure to have come across drunken teenagers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

stacexD wrote: »
    Fact is the kid is gonna drink whether her sister buys it or she gets it another way. If you ever drank when you were younger you'd know that the people whos family were aware of them drinking usually got on better than those who didn't, most of my friends parents, although they didn't encourage the drinking would call a few times during the day to check in because they knew well what was going on.. and they were always the ones that were made to go home by a certain time.
    Then there were the other ones who kept it a secret asking random people to buy them drink (and the kind of random people that will buy a 15 year old drink don't usually care about them) they usually just lied to their parents about staying in peoples houses and all that and would stay in town till all hours.
    Just saying it's good that her sister knows what's happening once it's a once off. Having someone to look out for you goes a long way when you're a drunk 15 year old

Yes I drank when I was younger and my parents knew about it which is why I would never encourage or condone it myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭Elmidena

Next time, take all the cash of sister et al, and then keep it. What's she going to do, tell your Mammy :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

It depends.

If I knew she was able to handle it and was kinda responsible I would do it. If I was living in the same house so I could keep my eye on her I would no probs.

Being 15 doesn't automatically = stupid.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,570 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

When I was 16, myself and my mate went to Cork city for the day and decided to get drunk. Although I looked 18, first off license I tried didn't serve me (probably because I asked where the nagans were - duh).

We went outside and some hobo complemented my mates t-shirt and then asked for change. So we decided to give him £20 and tell him to buy us 3 nagans of vodka and said he could keep the change. He was more than happy to get change and we were happy to get our alcohol :)

Moral of the story: Well, is there one? Hell do i know

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭bridgemond

AgileMyth wrote: »
    My mother used to buy mine from I was 15ish. When we were going to discos and such she was the only parent who actually knew what her kids were drinking. I was never the one who had to be carried home/brought into hospital either.

I was in the same boat. My parents knew I drank from about 15 and always bought me drink. Wouldn't get it for my mate's though. I used to come home at whatever time the parents said, Unlike some other buddies who would not go home in fear of getting caught drinking and where out very late with there parents looking for them, So there parents probably ending up worrying about them alot more than mine.

I would buy drink for people if I know them well and if there parents allow them drink.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,783 ✭✭✭Hank_Jones

When I was 16, myself and my mate went to Cork city for the day and decided to get drunk. Although I looked 18, first off license I tried didn't serve me (probably because I asked where the nagans were - duh).

We went outside and some hobo complemented my mates t-shirt and then asked for change. So we decided to give him £20 and tell him to buy us 3 nagans of vodka and said he could keep the change. He was more than happy to get change and we were happy to get our alcohol :)

Moral of the story: Well, is there one? Hell do i know

Hobos will do almost anything for a few quid?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭PseudoFamous

Hank_Jones wrote: »
    Hobos will do almost anything for a few quid?

I'll do it for a few quid, and the shady looking lad found smoking outside the pub did it before me, and probably another fellah before him.

It's the circle of life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭billybudd

cool thing to do because we dont already have a circle of drink related problems here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭patwicklow

Was 19 when i started drinking as my mum was in the pub trade and i worked behind the bar for a good few years before i wanted booze. but my mates were footballers at the time(well known) and when i started boozing that was it for me for ten years.. so some advice for some youngters 16 onwards stay well away..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭willmunny1990

I did it a couple of times mainly when i just turned 18,id go in and buy it for my friends who hadnt turned 18 yet,when i turned 19-20 i stopped completely,if someone came up to me now i wouldnt do it.

Never did it, Didn't need to, the pub we used to go to wasn't worried about the fact that we were underage!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

When I started drinking at seventeen, I'd just buy my own drink and hand over my own ID. Dunno how but it worked every time. Tell her to try that, OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

It's wrong/illegal.
    Some people will do it anyway, some will get caught.
    Some minors will form an addiction. Some will not.
    It may, or may not, be your fault.

Then of course there's a difference between a 14yo and a 17yo but the line has to go somewhere and society has chosen 18.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭StudentDad

biko wrote: »
    It's wrong/illegal.
    Some people will do it anyway, some will get caught.
    Some minors will form an addiction. Some will not.
    It may, or may not, be your fault.

Then of course there's a difference between a 14yo and a 17yo but the line has to go somewhere and society has chosen 18.

No I wouldn't - a: it's illegal and b: horrible waste of money.

SD

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement