Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying alcohol for minors

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,798 ✭✭✭blackwhite

Mits wrote: »
    Buying drink for underage kids is irresponsible. You should have be looking out for your sister not putting her in danger.
    If your old enough you are sure to have come across drunken teenagers.

Resisting..... urge......to make.......smart..........comment........

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

it's legal for parents to buy it for them

It is illegal for minors to buy alcohol, to attempt to buy it for minors, or for minors to consume alcohol in a public space in Ireland. Those under 18 may consume alcohol in a private residence when permission is given from a parent or guardian. It is illegal to purchase alcohol for anybody under the age of consent without permission from their guardians. One cannot purchase alcohol in a shop/off licence after 10 pm.[53]

but you aren't their parent or guardian nor do you have permission, so...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 449 ✭✭Emiko

I've been asked a few times by youngsters, 16/17, outside offies, to buy them drink, which I'd no problem doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,466 ✭✭✭Snakeblood

I wouldn't buy it for kids. They're kids would be the main reason. They act stupidly without booze, I don't see why allowing them to get into it young is ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭Show Time

I just rob the money off them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭deman

I recently got caught by my mammy.
    As I'm fully grown, I can't really get in trouble with my mam about this.

Fully grown??

• Registered Users Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭Korvanica

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

I get asked the odd time by kids, but I never do it. Mainly cause I'm bitter and vindictive and I don't want them to enjoy themselves with booze.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

I wouldn't buy it for them. They will need to use some imagination.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,940 ✭✭✭4leto

Never mind the morals, its the danger, with alcohol things have a tendency to happen and when they do it was you who bought it for them.

And that was spoken by a true hypocrite, I drank when I was underage and an older mate always got our supply. I wouldn't change any of that either,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

I got a few slaps for refusing to buy drink. 4 on 1, nice. A busy shopping center, south Dublin. No one batted an eyelid.

I just stonewall now, walk straight past..

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Used to get drink for my mates bro (mate was in Galway at the time). I'd know who I was getting drink for, and would have a set place and time where I'd put the drink on the ground, and walk away.

A neighbour got me and my mate drink when we were 15, and started getting served in offies at 17. I started going to a pub called Kennys in Lucan when i was 17 (it had a strict over 23's policy at the time).

Nowadays, I just say no. If they REALLY don't get the message, I leave the €50 note half sticking out of the poor box, and tell them to take it back themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

5 year olds are hilarious when drunk.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,460 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

I bought alcohol for miners once. Spent a day getting ****-faced 100m underground with a bunch of Bolivians. Crazy day.

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭Horse_box

I started drinking at 15 and it was always a pain in the hole to get somone to into the offo. We always got it in the end though. Underage drinking was the happiest time of my life!

I'd have no bother going in for anyone over 16ish tbh, they will get it one way or the other

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Brianderunner

Stupid doing it for strangers imo. Chances are the kids have been in the store minutes beforehand trying to buy exactly what they want you to buy and when you get to the counter they will know full well what is going on. All they need to do is look at the cctv from outside the shop and you're the one in hot water.

That being said i've no problem with 15/16 year olds drinking, i did it myself, got the older brother to buy it for me, it's all part of growing up.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

Is it wrong or right? I recently got caught by my mammy buying alcohol for my sister (who's 15) and some of her friends.
    As I'm fully grown, I can't really get in trouble with my mam about this but I did question if I was doing the right thing. Have any of your siblings asked you for alcohol? I'm a sensible sort and drink in moderation and didn't drink while I was underage either and I can't really see the harm in it. :)

You say you're all grown up? You say you can't see the harm in buying alcohol for adolescents, yes adolescents (a.k.a. underage)! & some of whom you don't actually know what medical conditions they may or may not have. Do they drink in your presence or would you know what dangers they would be exposed to once under the influence and how vulnerable they would be?

This does happen, you're not alone in this; some under-age do get served drink in some bars; After-hours drinking does happen too - all illegal but why would you help them and encourage them to break the law at this age? You don't know how they would be thinking when they see they can get away with breaking this 1 law do you?

:mad: cop yourself on will you and act the grown-up you say you are! This absolutely riles me when I see people choosing which law they want to adhere to and which they think meh!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭UglyBolloxFace

Its illegal...

Go figure...

That phrase. That ****ing phrase. I ****ing hate it.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,460 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Go figure. Wheeeeeeaaaa-whaaaaaw. The man with the minus touch.

This was a first, a few weeks ago I was asked by a kid of I would say about 13/14 would I buy cigarettes for him, "Here's the money they're for my da"..

I categorically said "no" and I was thinking about what type of Da he has if they were for him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭blaze1

No way i'd buy booze for minors, I was able to get myself gargle when I was 15 in about 5-6 different shops :-)

blaze1 wrote: »
    No way i'd buy booze for minors, I was able to get myself gargle when I was 15 in about 5-6 different shops :-)

Yeah and if you go by a Primetime I seen it seems easier now.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭Seachmall

4leto wrote: »
    Yeah and if you go by a Primetime I seen it seems easier now.

I'm 20 and I still get asked for ID when buying fags in some offies or shops, and have been refused when I didn't have it on me yet I distinctly recall being served at 16/17. :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Wattle

If I was asked by teenagers to buy booze I'd have to give them a stern lecture on the dangers of alcohol and recommend marijuana instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭Unique User Name

My Sister bought alcohol for me and one of my friends when we were both 15. We were staying over in her house. We both ended up getting sick on her new carpet though, me upstairs, him downstairs. I think that put her off doing it again :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭Seachmall

My Sister bought alcohol for me and one of my friends when we were both 15. We were staying over in her house. We both ended up getting sick on her new carpet though, me upstairs, him downstairs. I think that put her off doing it again :-)

A friend's sister did that for myself and 3 others (incl. her brother) once too. We were drinking at her house when one of my mates got pretty badly hammered and stripped down to his bolox. He then proceeded to get sick on himself. He then, naked and covered in vomit, climbed into the sisters bed about 3 times.

He may have pissed himself also.

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭Unique User Name

Seachmall wrote: »
    A friend's sister did that for myself and 3 others (incl. her brother) once too. We were drinking at her house when one of my mates got pretty badly hammered and stripped down to his bolox. He then proceeded to get sick on himself. He then, naked and covered in vomit, climbed into the sisters bed about 3 times.

He may have pissed himself also.

Brilliant! It's almost 12 years since that night and my Sister is still sketchy about my friend ever visiting again

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭FatherTed

Is it wrong or right? I recently got caught by my mammy buying alcohol for my sister (who's 15) and some of her friends.
    As I'm fully grown, I can't really get in trouble with my mam about this but I did question if I was doing the right thing. Have any of your siblings asked you for alcohol? I'm a sensible sort and drink in moderation and didn't drink while I was underage either and I can't really see the harm in it. :)

You're mother is an idiot. I'm sure your sister's friends' parents wouldn't be too thrilled to find out about who was buying then drink. I guess it's kind of ok for your mother to f-k up your sister but is irresponsible for doing the same to the other kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

kerry4sam wrote: »
    You say you're all grown up? You say you can't see the harm in buying alcohol for adolescents, yes adolescents (a.k.a. underage)! & some of whom you don't actually know what medical conditions they may or may not have. Do they drink in your presence or would you know what dangers they would be exposed to once under the influence and how vulnerable they would be?

This does happen, you're not alone in this; some under-age do get served drink in some bars; After-hours drinking does happen too - all illegal but why would you help them and encourage them to break the law at this age? You don't know how they would be thinking when they see they can get away with breaking this 1 law do you?

:mad: cop yourself on will you and act the grown-up you say you are! This absolutely riles me when I see people choosing which law they want to adhere to and which they think meh!

You've never broken the law? Downloaded a song? Drove over the speed limit? Drank underage? Been drunk in public? Drove alone learning to drive? Worked cash in hand? I'd say there are very very few people who have never broken the law.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭FueledByAisling

My sister buys me drink or gives me her ID (I look old enough and we're the image of each other).I'd buy drink for some friends of mine, by some I mean the ones who are allowed to by their parents, won't act like a idiots because they're 'locked' and the ones who won't vomit anywhere.

Some other poster said they wouldn't buy drink for someone under 16 I agree too as 16 isn't that bad but I've seen 12 year olds fishing outside shops. And to those who hate being asked to buy them drink then I recommend to stay away from Londis on Dame street kids attack you there!

And to OP Buying your sister drink isn't that bad, it's better then her standing outside Londis on a Saturday night with a big risk of her being mugged/attacked. Also like another poster said who's parents were okay with them drinking just a bit and had a curfew I agree this is the best option. The ones who are allowed are the ones who don't end up coming home with a pumped stomach ever.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement