Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

DSG

• 20-09-2011 12:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭

Hi, looking to buy Golf GTI mk5. Can't decide about the gearbox, manual or DSG. Does it require special service/care? how reliable it is? How quick it is from 0, is there any delay at low rpm? I would appreciate any help. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭Bigus

Absolutely fantastic Box to drive especially with flappy paddles, but electronic module is located in the box in the hot oil! not good when things go wrong , also susceptible to box oil changes along with clutch problems. Grand if the car is new and covered by VW warranty not so clever afterwards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

There have been (possibly anecdotal) stories of cars with DSG bogging down when asked to suddenly deliver a lot of power (roundabouts etc). I suggest going out and driving one before making up your mind. The important thing is DSG services, having the gearbox oil changed etc. Even though the DSG has been around for 8 years I'd still only buy one that has at least a year's warranty left.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,347 ✭✭✭si_guru

DSG is great. I have driven a few (rentals) and would deffo take the GTI with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭E39MSport

^^ me too and I fokkin hate them. Put them under pressure and they run to the hills imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,592 ✭✭✭tossy

Great Gear box and been in production since 2002/2003 so reliability is not an issue once serviced as per instructions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,809 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Covered 25k kms on one in a Golf Plus in 07, and it's a brilliant box. Highly recommended.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭kave2

Thanks guys, really appreciate. Tried out manual version today. What a car, absolutely amazing. Really quick. Must get one ASAP. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭kave2

Hi, bought one with manual gearbox. What a car!! Love it!! :D:D:DAnyone know where to get armrest for it? Anyone done it? Is it difficult to do it? Thanks a lot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,575 ✭✭✭166man

Well go on put up some pics of your fine motor!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

Nice car well wear.

• Advertisement
Advertisement