Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Are Bikers being a bit naive protesting over this

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 453 ✭✭war_child

Havent been using this thread long but gonna throw in a 2 cents worth, whilst most of the lads here are up on the legal aspect i come from a more modest schoolof thought, Im sure all you lads out there will agree it has always been our(bikers) job to compensate for the lack of driving skill that most of our car drivers have in this country.

We have increased our skill level so as we ride safely most of the time( not counting those lovely long blast roads) Whilst i agree with some of the safety measures proposed some of themmake no sense to me whatsoever, lights on in daytime waste of battery in my mind. Hi-vis only relevant in night ridin or poor visability, as for ABS with the increased cost of installation , would be cheaper to do an advanced riding course.

Now as for the 7 year old ban in Urban Areas completly ridiculous as some of the lads have stated they either restore orknow someone who restores vintage machines and the amount of time and money spent to insure all essential parts are top grade so to say that they would either be unsafe or not road worthy is stupidly idiotic it verges on the comical.

As always lads be safe , ride safe

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,411 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

The 7 year ban was a total red herring, it was put forward by some idiot on a council in France. It was never going to apply to all of France, or anywhere else, and was killed off anyway.

Scrap the cap!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 297 ✭✭SaoriseBiker

ninja900 wrote: »
    The 7 year ban was a total red herring, it was put forward by some idiot on a council in France. It was never going to apply to all of France, or anywhere else, and was killed off anyway.
    Yeah, it might even have been an urban myth (no pun intended) that got spread around from forum to forum. What's the story on mandatory hi viz jackets ? Is it genuinely been proposed or another myth ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭daenerysstormborn3

Genuinely being proposed. Mag Ireland website has a fair few posts about the actual proposals that will effect Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 283 ✭✭carsQhere

Yeah, it might even have been an urban myth (no pun intended) that got spread around from forum to forum. What's the story on mandatory hi viz jackets ? Is it genuinely been proposed or another myth ?
    http://www.magireland.org/2011/slider/get-the-facts-rsa-hi-viz-proposals/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,784 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

war_child wrote: »
    ....lights on in daytime waste of battery in my mind...

...please tell me .........you do realise your lights don't run off the battery, right ?

But I hear ya on the other stuff.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

A lot of bikes have no lighting switch because of the enthusiasm for daytime lights (and legal requirement in some countries.) This easily leaves you stranded if your battery gets at all low. Great fun pulling out the lighting fuses and maybe it not starting even then (as you've already flattened it from the first attempt) Of course not fitting a switch saves the bike manufacturer a few euro as well...

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭thomashood10

A lot of bikes have no lighting switch because of the enthusiasm for daytime lights (and legal requirement in some countries.) This easily leaves you stranded if your battery gets at all low. Great fun pulling out the lighting fuses and maybe it not starting even then (as you've already flattened it from the first attempt) Of course not fitting a switch saves the bike manufacturer a few euro as well...

I always wondered about this, surely bikes that have the lights always on rape their battery into the ground eventually?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭Wossack

if you have a habit of leaving the bike with the ignition on, but engine not started, I'd say yes

otherwise, I wouldnt have thought it would have any appreciable difference on the battery

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,307 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

There's usually ways to start the bike without the lights on. For instance, on my bike, bmw 1200gs it's this:

Turn the ignition on and allow the startup-check cycle to complete. The headlights will be off (this is normal).
    Hold turn-signal cancel switch for 4-5 secs. Hold right turn-signal switch for 4-5 secs. Start engine.
    Lights should remain OFF
    I always wondered about this, surely bikes that have the lights always on rape their battery into the ground eventually?
    Again on my bike the battery lasted 6 years, daily use with the dipped headlight on 100% of the time and fogs on 80% of the time. Could have got another year out of it too. Its not a big deal for the battery.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,782 ✭✭✭P.C.

Cienciano wrote: »
    Again on my bike the battery lasted 6 years, daily use with the dipped headlight on 100% of the time and fogs on 80% of the time. Could have got another year out of it too. Its not a big deal for the battery.

80% of the time that you rode your bike in the last five years you rode in fog?

P.C. wrote: »
    No, and the dipped headlight was on and guess what? It wasn't dark either!

No, and the dipped headlight was on and guess what? It wasn't dark either!

Sarcasm does not work so well with me.

Do you wear any Hi-Viz or reflective clothing?

Sarcasm does not work so well with me.

Do you wear any Hi-Viz or reflective clothing?

For someone who doesn't like scarcasm:

I have reflective strips on my jacket. Think every bike jacket has them these days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

There's usually ways to start the bike without the lights on. For instance, on my bike, bmw 1200gs it's this

BMW's make a lot more electrical power than most bikes though. Not a fair comparison TBH.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭daenerysstormborn3

28 years on bikes combined in this house and neither of us have ever had a problem with a battery over DRL.

I have reflective strips on my jacket. Think every bike jacket has them these days.

Why do you feel the need to have fog lights on when there is no fog then?

And I was not being sarcastic, I assumed you had made a mistake and meant 8% not 80%, but it seems that I was wrong and you do have fog lights on when there is no fog. I am just trying to figure out why?

Why do you feel the need to have fog lights on when there is no fog then?

And I was not being sarcastic, I assumed you had made a mistake and meant 8% not 80%, but it seems that I was wrong and you do have fog lights on when there is no fog. I am just trying to figure out why?
    You really don't know why a biker would want to make themselves more visible? :confused:
    Were you ever in an accident where a car pulled out straight in front of you and said "sorry mate, didn't see you"? I was in 2, don't want a 3rd.

You really don't know why a biker would want to make themselves more visible? :confused:
    Were you ever in an accident where a car pulled out straight in front of you and said "sorry mate, didn't see you"? I was in 2, don't want a 3rd.

Fog lights do not make you more visible when there is no fog.
    They blind other traffic, including bikes. This makes you less visible, and puts you in greater danger of being involved in an accident.

Turn off your fog lights when there is no fog:
    1.) it is safer;
    2.) it is the law.

And learn to read traffic.

They blind other traffic, including bikes. This makes you less visible, and puts you in greater danger of being involved in an accident.

1.) it is safer;
    2.) it is the law.

You're talking about fog lights in general.
    Have you ever seen a GS with its fog lights on? Does it really make the bike less visible and blind you? I'll give you a clue: it doesn't
    These 100% definitely don't blind you.

As for "learn to read traffic", that has to be one of the most idiotic comments I've read on the net!

• Advertisement

You're talking about fog lights in general.
    Have you ever seen a GS with its fog lights on? Does it really make the bike less visible and blind you? I'll give you a clue: it doesn't
    These 100% definitely don't blind you.

As for "learn to read traffic", that has to be one of the most idiotic comments I've read on the net!

Actually there is a GS that I pass some days on my way home who insist on putting his fog lights on. They dazzle me so bad that sometimes I have to pull over to the left and stop, which is dangerous. I then can't see him, or anything else, so effectively blinded. But this biker does not care about anyone but himself.

I can tell you that a GS with fog lights on does 100% blind me.

If you learn how too look ahead, and anticipate what the traffic could/might do, you will have a much better chance of spotting the vehicle that might/will pull out in front of you. If you think that is the most ridiculous thing that you have read on the net, then I would advise some training. Try the Gardai Bike Safe course for a start, it is free.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 453 ✭✭war_child

For someone who doesn't like scarcasm:

Have to disagree with ya there Cienciano, i wear basic black leather jacket and trousers and neither have reflective strips, i did however get a reflective hi vis vest and cut it up and stuck the reflective strips to the back and the arms of the jacket. This was to insure i was always seen as most wouldnt bother looking for avest goin ridin but you NEVER forget your jacket. Problem solved

P.S i also dont look like a 2 wheeled big bird when i ride out now

Wossack wrote: »
    if you have a habit of leaving the bike with the ignition on, but engine not started, I'd say yes

otherwise, I wouldnt have thought it would have any appreciable difference on the battery

Depends totally on the bike, what accessories you have on it and what your usage pattern is.

e.g. stop-start traffic, no riding outside of town for a few weeks, using heated grips, alarm fitted, dual-dip headlight modification, using spotlights when fitering, for me meant that the battery was gradually running down over time. You can be at that level and have the bike start fine every morning, but then one day you stall the bike a few minutes into your trip (no time to put much charge back) and find it won't restart. Lights coming on with the key is the worst thing you can have happen if the battery charge is marginal for starting.

If I don't get to go on any decent spins outside of town (which is usually :( ) I put the bike on a trickle charge every couple of weeks even though it's used every weekday. The charging system has been checked out and is normal. It's just down to the bike, the accessories and the way it's used.

Scrap the cap!

Never been bothered by fog/spot lights on a bike (car foglights are my pet hate though)

but there is a stupid trend for riders to use main beam, or a dipped beam set so high it might as well be, during the day. Very annoying especially when they're behind you, and of course they never dip :mad:

Scrap the cap!

Actually there is a GS that I pass some days on my way home who insist on putting his fog lights on. They dazzle me so bad that sometimes I have to pull over to the left and stop, which is dangerous. I then can't see him, or anything else, so effectively blinded. But this biker does not care about anyone but himself.

If you learn how too look ahead, and anticipate what the traffic could/might do, you will have a much better chance of spotting the vehicle that might/will pull out in front of you. If you think that is the most ridiculous thing that you have read on the net, then I would advise some training. Try the Gardai Bike Safe course for a start, it is free.
    My fog lights definitely don't dazzle
    Your GS guy must have them focused differently to all the bikes I've seen ;)

As for "learn to read traffic", and your garda safe course, you obviously never been unlucky enough to have had a car pull right out in front of you at a junction or from a parking space. The best option in that situation is to make sure you're seen so the car doesn't pull out in the first place.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

BMWs LOL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,340 ✭✭✭Please Kill Me

KamiKazi wrote: »
    BMWs LOL

Ah here mate, dont' get me started!!! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭Kev.OC

As for "learn to read traffic", and your garda safe course, you obviously never been unlucky enough to have had a car pull right out in front of you at a junction or from a parking space. The best option in that situation is to make sure you're seen so the car doesn't pull out in the first place.

I know what you're saying. Nearly crashed the car into a tractor a while back cause your man driving it pulled out onto a main road (from behind a tall hedge, at the top of a hill) without looking.

But regarding your dismissal of learning to read traffic, particularly the part in bold above, surely if he can see you, then you can see him, anticipate him pulling out and make the necessary adjustments, no?

My fog lights definitely don't dazzle
    Your GS guy must have them focused differently to all the bikes I've seen ;)

Glad to know that you think your fog lights do not dazzle oncoming traffic. I know that they do.
    Now turn off your fog lights when there is no fog, it is the law!

As to the rest, you are making you own case for training.
    I have had plenty of cars pull out in front of me, cut me off in traffic, cross into my lane without signaling or seeing me, etc. The difference is that they have not hit me, and I have not hit them. I have anticipated a possible hazzard, and reacted accordingly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,784 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

1.) it is safer;
    2.) it is the law.

Glad to know that you think your fog lights do not dazzle oncoming traffic. I know that they do.
    Now turn off your fog lights when there is no fog, it is the law!

The law you refer to refers to 'fog' lights as fitted to cars. To wit, there is an actual 'fog' light, switch, and even the NCT tests for an actual 'fog' light - as it is a specific technical regulation, EU-wide, and forms part of the vehicle's Type Approval/Homologation.

I think you'll find a complete absence of any such regulation, for motorbikes, so you can't be 'done' for them, one way or the other.

And, of course, they're not 'fog' lights - they're auxiliary or driving lights, so they wouldn't fall under the definition anyway.

At the same time, they shouldn't be set to blind people - they can still be on, useful...........and aimed downwards to prevent glare.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

Advertisement