Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

City Centre or Drumcondra?

Options
  • 20-09-2011 1:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 14,464 ✭✭✭✭

Bit of background; myself and two mates are searching for a house atm, I'll be doing a postgrad in DCU and they'll be working in or around the IFSC. I'm easy on location - it doesn't bother me to have to commute 30-40mins to DCU each day as I'll be out there for the day anyway plus I have one eye on the future as I'll hopefully be working in the area next year fingers crossed.

So basically I've had a look on Daft but having no experience of what the area around the IFSC/Connolly is like [save for a few less than complimentary searches on here] I'd like to get a few opinions.

I'm going to rule out southside [Ranelagh/Rathmines] straight off the bat as I commuted from Glasnevin to Ranelagh for 8 months and it was torture; 1.5hrs somedays. Basically I don't mind living in the IFSC as its a short Luas/walk to O'Connell St and the 4/13/11 buses. Haven't lived in Drumcondra but I was a frequent visitor to the bars in the area when I lived in Glasnevin.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,399 ✭✭✭✭Victor

You could consider somewhere halfway in Drumcondra. Part of it will depend on how much you both want to spend. Also consider how many days you are in college -v- shopping, nights out, etc.

Depending on where in the IFSC, O'Connell Street can be a bit of a nuisance distance - too short for public transport and too long to walk, so living next to DCU might be unfair on your friend.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭AstonMartin

Nice flats on the docks near the ifsc and its better to live there as the student is a bit more flexible with times and you might be working there next year.

seems like a straighforward choice between the two especially as you can cut across and dont have to go to oconnell street at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,464 ✭✭✭✭cson

Cheers for the replies lads, out of interest is this a bad time of year to be looking as there seems to be a paucity of places in the area's we're looking at?

• Registered Users Posts: 78,399 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Lots of people will be looking, but there is a general softness in the market

Advertisement